• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Deacs @ the NC State Wolfpack - Wednesday 8 pm ACCN

I really like the fight Forbes has instilled in this team. They played like crap last night, had every reason to pack it in and didn't. If he can consistently get his teams to play like that once he gets better talent, it could be pretty special.

Very impressive fight again. We just dug too deep a hole. Missing Ingraham and Dubose for sure. Williamson played big at the end and has appeared to have a really nice shot. Only problem is he really needs a ball screen for a clean look due to his size. Ody and Okpomo playing well above expectations and effing Okpomo looks like the Incredible Hulk for a college freshman.

We need a board moratorium on discussing Carter Whitt until the start of next season.

I really like the fight Forbes has instilled in this team. They played like crap last night, had every reason to pack it in and didn't. If he can consistently get his teams to play like that once he gets better talent, it could be pretty special.

The guy has definitely shown more ability to teach, motivate and get players to buy in during half of a pandemic season than we have seen in the last decade combined.

I like Whitt and think he's going to be great for us. But the way he's struggling right now, I worry that it is more likely he loses confidence instead of gaining valuable experience from these minutes.

Will defer to Forbes, of course. He sees practice and I don't.

Pretty amazing that we can look that awful and still only lose by 5. Stunning actually. Oh and thanks Deacs for that juicy little cover :cool:

If we had only played slightly better than awful we would have won.

We let that one get away. Time to start another winning streak this weekend.

I like Whitt and think he's going to be great for us. But the way he's struggling right now, I worry that it is more likely he loses confidence instead of gaining valuable experience from these minutes.

I'm here as well. My initial thought was there was zero downside when Whitt enrolled early to play in the spring but I'm starting to second guess that now as his confidence has to be taking a huge hit.

Forbes has been effusive with his praise of Whitt so he's either a completely different player in practice or Forbes is trying to build up his confidence. Or a combination of both.

Last week: what's wrong with Massoud, we need a 3rd scorer.

This week: what's wrong with Mucius, we need a 3rd scorer.

Is Dubose officially done for the year? With Johnson and Wilkins being so meh, we could really use him.

Whitt with 13 minutes and 4 turnovers - whole team folded under their pressure D. Not good. Silver lining is we forced 17 turnovers.

Considering how many turnovers we committed, our half-court defense was pretty damn good. Really had no business being in that game at all with the offense essentially breaking down. There was a point in the 2nd half where Massoud was just jacking up horrible contested 3's, then Jalen and Wilkins followed suit and threw up some garbage.

I feel bad for Forbes, he really has zero players who can dependably produce against a middle-tier ACC defender. Every game is like a crazy round of speed-chess where you only know how far each piece can move after you try to move it. Massoud hits his first two 3's and Daivien hits his last 4 of 5. In the pesky 85% of the game between those two shooting runs, everyone not named Jahcobi Neath shot 0% from deep. Neath's 2 made it a red-hot 12%. How the hell do you plan for that kind of night?

We're staying in these games because even when we do give up on the offensive end out of frustration, these guys keep playing defense. Nice to see.

Yeah, I don't think Forbes is the type of guy to let anyone on his team lack confidence. Even Neath looks like he's making strides. Carter is playing with house money, and I'm sure Forbes has reminded him of that constantly. Just think about it: Freshmen are usually raw when they come in after being in practice and training for 2 months. Carter got thrown into the ACC and they're relentlessly pressing and trapping him. The game has to be moving at a lightning pace right now. The good news is, he will know exactly what he needs to work on. First things first, he's got to sure up his ball handling, and I don't see any reason he wouldn't be able to do that.

Considering how many turnovers we committed, our half-court defense was pretty damn good. Really had no business being in that game at all with the offense essentially breaking down. There was a point in the 2nd half where Massoud was just jacking up horrible contested 3's, then Jalen and Wilkins followed suit and threw up some garbage.

I feel bad for Forbes, he really has zero players who can dependably produce against a middle-tier ACC defender. Every game is like a crazy round of speed-chess where you only know how far each piece can move after you try to move it. Massoud hits his first two 3's and Daivien hits his last 4 of 5. In the pesky 85% of the game between those two shooting runs, everyone not named Jahcobi Neath shot 0% from deep. Neath's 2 made it a red-hot 12%. How the hell do you plan for that kind of night?

We're staying in these games because even when we do give up on the offensive end out of frustration, these guys keep playing defense. Nice to see.

Yeah, it has been said a lot around here... But I think it is true. This team, while clearly mediocre, could be winning games if it would protect the basketball and keep the other team from getting easy layups. Easier said than done, of course.

A lot of the other stuff has been cleaned up enough to be less impactful: We are rebounding better than expected. We have enough 3 point shooting (streaky, but we generally hit open looks). The halfcourt defense is adequate.

But if we keep turning the ball over we'll lose most games because we aren't otherwise good enough to overcome that headwind.

From Forbes PC before the State game:

Dubose will be tested this week. If he passes the various medical tests confirming that Ian has recovered to the point to play again, he can return to practice. That said, Forbes noted that Dubose has essentially done nothing since Thanksgiving, and so, even if he is medically cleared, it would take Dubose awhile to get to the point where he could actually contribute.

Forbes also indicated that there's a reasonably good chance that Ian could return to WF next year. Forbes specifically advised that the status of WF's 3 seniors (Dubose, Johnson and Antonio) is something that the staff and players need to discuss and resolve before the season ends.

Also, I think Forbes knows this and that is why he was obviously frustrated last night. Not enough practice time to really fix it. He's done what he can to instruct the team on how to improve, but they need practice time (and game action) to get better at handing pressure.

Yeah, it has been said a lot around here... But I think it is true. This team, while clearly mediocre, could be winning games if it would protect the basketball and keep the other team from getting easy layups. Easier said than done, of course.

A lot of the other stuff has been cleaned up enough to be less impactful: We are rebounding better than expected. We have enough 3 point shooting (streaky, but we generally hit open looks). The halfcourt defense is adequate.

But if we keep turning the ball over we'll lose most games because we aren't otherwise good enough to overcome that headwind.

I love Forbes and our team, but there have been quite a few games (like last night) where WF could have/should have been blown out, but WF did enough to make the game respectable, but really was not on the verge of winning. WF was clearly the inferior team in every game that WF has lost this season. In other words, I don't think WF is getting "unlucky" or is that close to winning more games. Forbes is getting as much out of this team as he can get, but with the current roster, this is a 2-4 win ACC team. Even so, with the exception of the last part of the 2017 season, this is the most excited I have been to watch WF basketball in 11 years.

the #1 thing that needs to happen is that Neath needs to get a better handle on Forbes' offense. Last night NCSU sped us up, taking us a bit out of our offensive flow, forcing Neath to just react. And he played his best game of the year, by far.

Hopefully he can execute within the offensive flow this weekend.

I mean seriously we were a bad team last year and our 2 best players transferred out. Then the senior guard we brought in to provide us a go to scorer and some senior leadership has played 2 games and the surprise post player who had a great 1st game has played 2 games. We also missed over a month of practice with this hodgepodge assortment. Honestly the fact that we haven't been blown out multiple times is pretty amazing.

I mean seriously we were a bad team last year and our 2 best players transferred out. Then the senior guard we brought in to provide us a go to scorer and some senior leadership has played 2 games and the surprise post player who had a great 1st game has played 2 games. We also missed over a month of practice with this hodgepodge assortment. Honestly the fact that we haven't been blown out multiple times is pretty amazing.

the only blowout we suffered was vs GT and that was after the long lay off. We've been in essentially every game in conference play minus that one, which to me is quite shocking, especially after just using your eyes to watch this talent deficient team.

We don't get enough 3 looks that are set wide open, like about every other ACC offense we face. Takes 3-4 quick passes. Note this vs next opponents.

Devon Daniels out for the rest of the season with a torn ACL.

Back