• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Deacs @ the NC State Wolfpack - Wednesday 8 pm ACCN

FWIW, here is where WF stands in the ACC in various metrics (conference games only):

Offense:

Offensive efficiency -- 96.8 (13th) ACC average 104.2
Effective FG% -- 50.1 (10th) ACC average 51.8
TO % -- 22.3 (DFL) ACC average 18.2
Offensive rebound % -- 26.2 (9th) ACC avg. 27.5
FT Rate -- 27.8 (8th) ACC avg. 28.0
2 PT% -- 48.8 (11th) ACC avg. 51.4%
3 PT% -- 34.5 (7th) ACC avg. 34.9%
FT % -- 74.3% (6th) ACC avg. 72.1%

Defense:

Defensive Efficiency -- 109.1 (12th)
eFG% -- 54.9% (11th)
TO% -- 17.4% (13th)
OR% -- 27.1 (8th)
FT rate -- 31.9 (13th)
2 PT % -- 57.1 (DFL)
3 PT % -- 33.6% (7th)
BLK% -- 4.2% (DFL)
ST% -- 9.5% (8th)

FWIW, 12th in defense is marked improvement. WF was DFL in the ACC in defense each of the last two years, and Manning's teams were only ranked 12th or higher in the ACC in defense twice (2017 and 2018) in six years.

I expect to see our defensive ranking improve. Deacs are DFL in 2 point % and Block % because there was no defensive presence when Ody was off the floor. Okpomo provides that now. Forbes has made mention of Okpomo after the last three games for good reason. Mucius and Massoud are now free to concentrate on defending forwards rather than be overmatched at center. It's no coincidence they have had career best games in the past two games.

Well this is progress, the game thread got to page two the day before the game.

At this point we know:
- The team is improving and responds to coaching (see rebounding v UNC)
- They are gritty and don't give up
- We have shooters that are inconsistent but seem to pick one game to get hot

Despite our terrible start, a win, strangely, puts us into the mix with the 2 and 3 wins team in the bottom half of the conference. And State is only 2-4.

Just saying a win would actually make this season more interesting than tossing it away with the mess DM left.

We can get to 5-6 simply by beating the worst teams in the league.

We can get to 5-6 simply by beating the worst teams in the league.

The problem with that is there is a strong possibility that we are the worst team in the league.

Next 4 games are "winnable", but 3 of them are on the road.

Have to think State will over play the 3 defensively after last game. Hope we are ready for it.

Have to think State will over play the 3 defensively after last game. Hope we are ready for it.

Neath could thrive with drives in that circumstance. Basline cutters could get easy layups/dunks.

The problem with that is there is a strong possibility that we are the worst team in the league.

Next 4 games are "winnable", but 3 of them are on the road.

At least this year, does “road” even matter that much

At least this year, does “road” even matter that much

This year, home teams in the ACC are winning 67.9% of the games.

The last two years, it was 60.7% & 59.3%.

So yeah, weirdly, home/away still seems to matter a lot... Perhaps even more so.

This year, home teams in the ACC are winning 67.9% of the games.

The last two years, it was 60.7% & 59.3%.

So yeah, weirdly, home/away still seems to matter a lot... Perhaps even more so.

Well four of those home wins were GT, Duke, UVA, and UNC (all top half of the league) vs. the "worst team in the league." I don't think we can really say yet.

Well four of those home wins were GT, Duke, UVA, and UNC (all top half of the league) vs. the "worst team in the league." I don't think we can really say yet.

I don’t follow your logic.

Are you saying our games shouldn’t count in the overall count of ACC results because they are outliers for some reason?

Or just being obtuse because I called the last place team in the ACC potentially the “worst team in the league”?

I’m saying it’s a bad idea to calculate home court advantage not even halfway through the season in an uneven schedule and compare it to a typical season and draw conclusions.

I’m saying it’s a bad idea to calculate home court advantage not even halfway through the season in an uneven schedule and compare it to a typical season and draw conclusions.

You can look across conferences and the story is the same. Sample size is plenty big enough. Doesn’t seem to be significantly different vs. other years.

Apologize for the tone of my prior post, but you weren’t clear with what you were saying.

Is your point that there’s more a home court advantage without fans or that there’s no difference?

My point is that it doesn’t seem to matter.

Which is odd, IMO. I’d have expected home court advantage to matter less this year.

Of course, statistically we’ve had an outsized “home court advantage” in recent years... But that was easily explained by how shitty we were on the road.

It is way too small of a sample to mean anything. I definitely believe that there is still somewhat of a homecourt advantage just due to the comfortability of playing on your home court.

Back