• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Posted this on the wrong thread...

Minnesota hires Ben Johnson as it next coach. If you are asking "who is Ben Johnson", you aren't the only one. He was an assistant at Xavier and previously served as an assistant at Minnesota and N. Iowa. Underwhelming.

Apparently, Johnson has a good rep as a recruiter, and the thought is that he will be able to keep the talent in-state which has been a big problem for the Gophers. Jalen Suggs to Gonzaga being a recent example.

My spell correct Doesn’t like MATTA.

Last edited:
IU is denying the report which came from multiple sources.

Since when does a college head coach have to pass a physical like he's a pro athlete getting traded?

Since when does a college head coach have to pass a physical like he's a pro athlete getting traded?

Only because of Matta's well documented and publicized medical issues.

Minnesota hires Ben Johnson as it next coach. If you are asking "who is Ben Johnson", you aren't the only one. He was an assistant at Xavier and previously served as an assistant at Minnesota and N. Iowa. Underwhelming.

Apparently, Johnson has a good rep as a recruiter, and the thought is that he will be able to keep the talent in-state which has been a big problem for the Gophers. Jalen Suggs to Gonzaga being a recent example.

This hire seems surprisingly well received by fans. I don't care what you did in your playing days at the school, I wouldn't really be happy about a former player with no head coaching experience getting the job for one of my teams.

IU still thinking they are blue blood royalty is hilarious. They fucking suck!

Two things. IU fans have experienced 25 years of mostly mediocrity. We know that the blue blood days are long ago. That doesn't mean we should settle for sustained mediocrity. IU has everything you need to be highly successful, but it takes the right coach. Archie unfortunately proved he wasn't that guy.

The story about Matta is nonsense. The writers on the IU beat that are credible have all said as much.

Just noticed that Texas A&M has sucked in the two years since hiring Buzz Williams.

Yet VT made the NCAAs this year in year 2 of Mike Young (and didn't suck in year 1).

Can't say that I saw that coming. I know Buzz left VT pretty strong (#13KP & a Sweet 16 in his final year), but the roster this year doesn't look at all like the one he left behind.

Just noticed that Texas A&M has sucked in the two years since hiring Buzz Williams.

Yet VT made the NCAAs this year in year 2 of Mike Young (and didn't suck in year 1).

Can't say that I saw that coming. I know Buzz left VT pretty strong (#13KP & a Sweet 16 in his final year), but the roster this year doesn't look at all like the one he left behind.

He left almost nothing behind. Alexander-Walker went pro, and their 1 good big transferred. That Young inherited a bare cupboard and instantly made them competitive has been impressive. He deserved his COY award. And nothing on that roster really wows you.

Could he have kept Bueckers in state?

Absolutely. Buzz's last year, the 2019 Hokies had talent (should've beaten Duke to go to the Elite 8). Top 8 in minutes:

PG Justin Robinson - played in the NBA
SG Nickieil Alexander Walker - 1st round draft pick, plays for the Pels
SF Ahmed Hill - G League
PF Ty Outlaw - played pro in Greece until a warrant was issued alleging drug charges
C Kerry Blackshear - transferred to FL; playing pro in Israel

F PJ Horne - transferred to UGA; starter
G Wabissa Bede - only player from the 2019 to stay at VT through this season;
G-F Isiah Wilkins - transferred to WF; in the portal

Also, on the roster that year, but redshirted was Landers Nolley; who was VT's leading scorer last year, but transferred to Memphis (where he had a good year)

So, in two years, Mike Young only retained one player from the Buzz era; yet, was able to build an NCAA tourney team. Impressive.

My perception of Indiana basketball may be entirely off, but I've always considered them a program with a national profile, but one that operated more regionally, if that makes sense. Whereas a UNC, KY, Duke (and back in the day UCLA) recruit nationally and have national fan bases, again I see IU as a program that people around the country are familiar with and interested in, but the recruiting and fan base is very much a midwestern thing.

George Mason named Kim English as their new coach. English is only 32. He played at Mizzou and briefly in the NBA. Had been an assistant under Frank Haith (Tulsa), Tad Boyle (Colo.) and Rick Barnes (TN). He's from Baltimore, and has recruited in the DC/MD/VA area.

usa_today_13711766.0.jpg

George Mason named Kim English as their new coach. English is only 32. He played at Mizzou and briefly in the NBA. Had been an assistant under Frank Haith (Tulsa), Tad Boyle (Colo.) and Rick Barnes (TN). He's from Baltimore, and has recruited in the DC/MD/VA area.

usa_today_13711766.0.jpg

Congrats to him. He did the work of assistant coaching under a few guys. Now he gets rewarded with a decent head coaching gig. Now, if he can bring in a few more DC and Baltimore guys... Expectations will be for him to get them into the upper echelon of the conference and the occasional invite to the big dance.

It's cool to see news like that and be like "Good for him" instead of "I hope he succeeds so he can replace our garbage coach in a few years."

Last edited:
It's cool to see news like that and be like "Good for him" instead of "I hope he succeeds to he can replace our garbage coach in a few years."

GMU has been a good mid-major. Jim Larranaga parlayed success there into the Miami job. If English gets GMU back to the big dance, he'll be a sought after coach before he's 40.

It's cool to see news like that and be like "Good for him" instead of "I hope he succeeds so he can replace our garbage coach in a few years."

Yes, to be off the market for the first time in 10 years is surreal. What a wasted era.

Back