• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Sources are reporting that DePaul is on the verge of offering Kenny Payne their head job.

Payne played at L'ville and the NBA. He was an assistant at Oregon under Ernie Kent, and then worked under Calapari for 10 years at KY, before moving up to the NBA to work as an assistant under Tom Thibodeau with the Knicks this past year; Payne is currently an assistant with the resurgent Knicks, and has been particularly credited with Julius Randle's development this season. At one point, it was thought that Payne might succeed Calipari at KY.

Other candidates that DePaul reportedly considered:

- Mike Davis (Detroit)
- Damon Stoudamire (Pacific)
- Porter Moser (Loyola) they had to call him, but if he wants to move on, he will get a better offer
- Dennis Gates (Cleveland State)
- Orlando Antigua (Illinois Asst.)

Last edited:
Sources are reporting that DePaul is on the verge of offering Kenny Payne their head job.

Payne played at L'ville and the NBA. He was an assistant at Oregon under Ernie Kent, and then worked under Calapari for 10 years at KY, before moving up to the NBA to work as an assistant under Tom Thibodeau with the Knicks this past year; Payne is currently an assistant with the resurgent Knicks, and has been particularly credited with Julius Randle's development this season. At one point, it was thought that Payne might succeed Calipari at KY.

- Mike Davis (Detriot)
- Porter Moser (Loyola) they had to call him, but if he wants to move on, he will get a better offer

The call to Moser lasted less than a minute. DePaul hasn't been that relevant since Meyer. But Moser could be interesting. He loses some important seniors this year. I would think Indiana would throw him a big offer.

Randallstown is a suburb of Balmur just NW of the city - not talking NC. Cigar, I grew up in Cockeysville. If you haven't cut out carbs, I'd assume you frequent Goldberg's Bagels on Reisterstown Road - best bagels below the Mason-Dixon line.

Last edited:
Randallstown is a suburb of Balmur just NW of the city - not talking NC. Cigar, I grew up in Cockeysville.

See you didn't have an option. Growing up in Cockeysville formed your persona.

Like my being born on Labor Day.

The call to Moser lasted less than a minute. DePaul hasn't been that relevant since Meyer. But Moser could be interesting. He loses some important seniors this year. I would think Indiana would throw him a big offer.

Moser is a Chicago guy with incredible job security at a a job that he loves. I'd like to think Indiana could tempt him but the chatter on the IU boards is that he's unlikely to be the guy. Whether that's because he's not interested or IU isn't interested isn't clear.

I'd guess Moser is #2 choice behind Matta at IU and #1 choice for Marquette.

- Mike Davis (Detroit)

Depaul AD Dewayne Peevy was Cal's right hand man at UK until he took the Depaul job last summer. Payne and Peevy are close. In fact, the loss of those two guys has been a big part of the problem at UK this season. Kenny Payne would have developed Sarr a lot more than what he received at UK this year. There really isn't anyone on UK's staff of any significance anymore. Maybe Jai Lucas who came on board last summer. Kenny Payne is a great players coach, and this would be a great fit for him, he can handle high school and AAU coaches. How he will do as a head coach remains to be seen, but Depaul is a program with potential if they can find the right guy.

Lots of UK fans want Payne to replace Cal, that is how beloved and respected he is in Kentucky. A large portion of BBN is tired of Cal's schtick.

I'd guess Moser is #2 choice behind Matta at IU and #1 choice for Marquette.

Matta is not happening. There's some talk about NBA coach Mike Woodson and possibly Beard or Moser, but I think it's going to end up Beilien.

Moser is a Chicago guy with incredible job security at a a job that he loves. I'd like to think Indiana could tempt him but the chatter on the IU boards is that he's unlikely to be the guy. Whether that's because he's not interested or IU isn't interested isn't clear.

If it doesn't happen, I'm going with the former rather than the latter. And there's something to be said for staying where you're happy rather than going to a school with unrealistically high expectations. Indiana is NC State on all sorts of steroids.

Randallstown is a suburb of Balmur just NW of the city - not talking NC. Cigar, I grew up in Cockeysville. If you haven't cut out carbs, I'd assume you frequent Goldberg's Bagels on Reisterstown Road - best bagels below the Mason-Dixon line.

I have been to Goldberg's, I miss the old Bagel Shoppe on Reisterstown Road. I've actually found decent bagels in High Point NC, at High Point Bagel on Eastchester.

I wish I could cut out carbs. Carbs and soda are my two vices now. Cigars are far and few between.

Good for Kelsey. Agree that C of C is at higher level than Winthrop, but hoped that Kelsey could jump to even a higher level. Winthrop had a LOT of talent. Given the transfer rules, I'm sure Kelsey will try to bring a lot of it to C of C, but there are quite a few players on that roster that will get Power 6 looks.

Does this mean Justin Gray gets the Winthrop job?

Back