• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

This is no offense to Kelsey or C of C, but I’d assumed he would get a bigger job than that. Just seems like he’s been biding his time and showing his talent. Maybe it’s just because I wasn’t as familiar with Earl Grant, so to me Kelsey felt like at least as big a name as his.

This is no offense to Kelsey or C of C, but I’d assumed he would get a bigger job than that. Just seems like he’s been biding his time and showing his talent. Maybe it’s just because I wasn’t as familiar with Earl Grant, so to me Kelsey felt like at least as big a name as his.

yeah was thinking the same thing

This seems like an odd move for Kelsey, but perhaps CofC is a better program than Winthrop. It just doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade. There's no doubt living in Charleston is much better than living in Rock Hill

with no idea who came calling, getting your salary doubled seems to be significant

Can someone tell me where it has been discussed about Dino Gaudio being fired at Louisville? I k ow it surely has been, and thought I would peruse the discussion.

This seems like an odd move for Kelsey, but perhaps CofC is a better program than Winthrop. It just doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade. There's no doubt living in Charleston is much better than living in Rock Hill

There's Charleston v. Rock Hill, and there's also doubling your salary; it was reported that Kelsey made between $250 and $300K at Winthrop. I get the disappointment of not being in the running for the Indiana job, but if you are making $275K in Rock Hill, and you get offered a job with better facilities, at a more attractive university and a $550K salary, you take it. FWIW, the CAA (C of C's conference) is way ahead of the Big South. If Kelsey wins in the CAA, it would be an easier sell to get an ACC or some other Power Conference job.

Can someone tell me where it has been discussed about Dino Gaudio being fired at Louisville? I k ow it surely has been, and thought I would peruse the discussion.

Page 9 of this thread.

Gregg Marshall left Winthrop for Wichita State which was in the MVC at the time. College of Charleston in the CAA seems comparable. I'm not sure why people thought he'd get a better job than Marshall got.

can't find a clear accounting of exactly what Kelsey walked away from at UMass, but this article claims UMass was going to pay him an "annual average" of $800k over 5 years starting in 2017

it appears that did not exclude the incentive for winning the national championship (which of course wouldn't have happened) but who knows

can't find a clear accounting of exactly what Kelsey walked away from at UMass, but this article claims UMass was going to pay him an "annual average" of $800k over 5 years starting in 2017

it appears that did not exclude the incentive for winning the national championship (which of course wouldn't have happened) but who knows

Kelsey walked away from a lot of money. UMASS has been a career ending job since Calipari left. IIRC, I think that Kelsey's family wasn't that jazzed about moving to Amherst, Mass (it's almost a 100 miles from Boston, adn the weather sucks).

Winthrop to C of C is a good move for Kelsey. He would have been eaten up at UMASS as the A10 was expanding, but they did little to improve their facilities or program.

Bus league to a plane league. Double the salary. Isle of Palms living for the wife and kids. Its a diagonal move up.

When Pat arrived in Amherst, he found massive cheating. It was not a hard decision to walk away. He’s not a cheater. It was classy of him to keep his mouth shut.

Xavier and Wake really missed out here. He’ll be around.

Seriously. I didn’t even get a coaching offer and I moved here.[/QUOTEI
i just got back from 3 days there visiting a relative. It's nice except the traffic is TERRIBLE. Makes Raleigh look like a piece of cake. I wouldn't want to live there for that reason.

Interesting aside, re the coaching change down there. Three young guys were at my motel and standing outside yesterday late afternoon waiting. They were polished looking, very fit, tall and athletic basketball builds, got picked up by some lady in a van. For some reason I thought they looked like possible young coaching assistants and she some contact transporting them to a meeting. Now I see a hire down there. interesting to me, at least.

Gregg Marshall left Winthrop for Wichita State which was in the MVC at the time. College of Charleston in the CAA seems comparable. I'm not sure why people thought he'd get a better job than Marshall got.

Because he had a job at UMass, which is in the A10.

A10 was the 9th best conference this year. CAA was 18th.

TIers.

I’ve heard the same as DR from my UMass connections. I’m sure his walking away from that job still colors some people’s perceptions of him as a waffler.

Last edited:
Kelsey is not getting any younger, so maybe this is change for the sake of change, but it seems odd. I would think he would get plenty of offers eventually, if not this year, from schools that can give him a bigger pay increase than CofC.

Back