• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Matta is definitely open to returning. He lives in Indy area. He was very close to taking our job.

Purdue Assistant Coach Micah Schrewsbury to Penn State to replace board favorite Pat Chambers.

I would think Matta is beyond the odds on favorite at IU. Fucking Covid!

Stevens wouldn't take the job this month. Bennett and Few ain't going nowhere. Isn't Beard a TX guy? Why would Drew leave a school that has money and no rules? I'm guessing there is a massive buyout for Oats' contract extension he signed less than a month ago.

Beilein may be too old.

Just like Wake's job, I think IU's may be Matta's to take or leave.

Matta is fifteen years younger than Beilein. He has deep regional ties, lives in the area and is itching to get back into coaching.

If I were handicapping the IU job. it would look like:

Matta 4/5
Beilein 7/1
Moser 10/1
Pope 12/1
Kelsey 15/1 (if he wins an NCAA game or 20-1 if he doesn't)
HOF Wes 25-1 (unless he wins in The NCAAT, then 12-1)

Believe it or not Moser is only one year younger than Matta.

If something crazy happens in Boston over the next days or if IU wants to offer Stevens $100M/10 years, these odds could change.

Kelsey versus Forbes was a tough choice.

If not for Covid, it was 90+% that Matta would be our coach today.

Your source is correct about what? It’s really good to go on the record, for as many times as you claim to be right.

So: your source is right that _____. Matta is healthy enough to coach but is choosing not to? Something else? State it in plain English.

Alternative theory: why am I bothering?

RJ's sources are great at telling us what didn't happen. They share juicy tidbits like the fact that Brad Stevens was not hired as WFU coach in 2010, Shaka Smart was not hired as WFU coach in 2014, and Thad Matta was not hired as WFU coach in 2020. Unfortunately, they haven't shared a whisper about the [Redacted], Manning, or Forbes hires ahead of time. Maybe someday they'll have actual, verifiable information in advance. Or maybe they'll just keep discussing what didn't happen, and that way no one can ever refute them.

Back to the actual topic...what a disaster of a hire for former blue blood IU. A 63 year old with zero college coaching experience and a losing record as an NBA coach. Gotta be hoping he’s Juwan Howard I guess but much more likely to be Sidney Lowe.

Back to the actual topic...what a disaster of a hire for former blue blood IU. A 63 year old with zero college coaching experience and a losing record as an NBA coach. Gotta be hoping he’s Juwan Howard I guess but much more likely to be Sidney Lowe.

I just don't get the Indiana thinking here. Really need BTB to explain this for us.

My guess is they wanted Matta but he wasn’t up to the job physically but they collectively sold themselves on the idea of Matta acting as a GM and running the program with someone else as the day today head coach, likely because they didn’t have any other good options other than taking a shot with another mid major guy.

will be interesting to see how they get along with respect to on the court decisions. do they agree on the offensive philosophy, starting 5, etc? did Woodson run the right out of bounds play at a crucial moment? sure, Woodson has the authority as the actual HC, but he's gotta be looking over his shoulder.

The ONLY thing that has been said is that there was NO PHYSICAL. That is not and will never be the same as Matta not having any health issues. The fact that he's not the coach, and has not accepted any other vacancies, makes it more than reasonable to assume that he does continue to have health issues.

Or that he doesn’t want to coach anymore. Guy seemed pretty content to sit back and take OSU checks and turn down every high profile HC job out there over the last few years that probably would have paid him more. Now he’s scored some sort of BS Associate AD position at IU, when, if he wanted to coach, there were literally dozens of options out there for him to pick and choose from.

Or that he doesn’t want to coach anymore. Guy seemed pretty content to sit back and take OSU checks and turn down every high profile HC job out there over the last few years that probably would have paid him more. Now he’s scored some sort of BS Associate AD position at IU, when, if he wanted to coach, there were literally dozens of options out there for him to pick and choose from.

So why even do anything then? He coached at Ohio State for 13 years and received a $9MM buyout less than 4 years ago.

I just don't get the Indiana thinking here. Really need BTB to explain this for us.

My first reaction was WTF!!!! The goal is to get the best coach and yet IU hired someone who has never coached at this level and hadn't shown interest in doing so at any point.

I am now predictably trying to talk myself into the decision. A few thoughts.

Woodson took a Hawks team from 13 wins to something like 55 wins in his tenure there. He also is the last Knicks coach to win 50 plus games. So it's reasonable to assume he knows how to coach.

The statements yesterday from current and former NBA players who played for him have been extremely impressive in terms of recognizing his basketball acumen and his ability to relate to and hold players accountable. And the list of NBA all stars that played for him is long and impressive and I want to believe that will resonate with recruits.

Finally, I just learned that he's got a long standing relationship with World Wide Wes which I think means something as ridiculous as it is to say that.

The statements yesterday from current and former NBA players who played for him have been extremely impressive in terms of recognizing his basketball acumen and his ability to relate to and hold players accountable. And the list of NBA all stars that played for him is long and impressive and I want to believe that will resonate with recruits.

Oh god. You’re fucked.

“Jeff [Redacted] is a basketball coach and I think he did a pretty good job” -Carmelo Anthony (paraphrased)

That whole BTB post might as well have been copied verbatim from the wake boards 10 or so years ago when our run of hell started.

Oh god. You’re fucked.

“Jeff [Redacted] is a basketball coach and I think he did a pretty good job” -Carmelo Anthony (paraphrased)

I read your post and immediately broke out in hives. Thanks

Yeah we’ve absolutely been victimized by this playbook before.

Health insurance!

Good point, paying out of pocket has to be expensive especially for a guy with crippling long-term issues that are preventing him from coaching again.

Good point, paying out of pocket has to be expensive especially for a guy with crippling long-term issues that are preventing him from coaching again.

The benefits package is what really killed our bid for Matta last year, not Covid. But, believe it or not, I heard it was the lack of full dental coverage that killed the deal. IU must have better benefits packages for AD staff than first year coaches.

Health insurance!

Tell me about it. I'm self employed in my 50s.

I actually concur with BTB's take and don't think it's an awful hire considering they may have struck out with preferred candidates. Being tight with WWW will not hurt his recruiting. Ask Calipari.

I read your post and immediately broke out in hives. Thanks

Hopefully you won’t have the confluence of other factors that extended our hell should your experiment fail.

It’s one thing to take a gamble on a coach but then we also had an AD who couldn’t admit a mistake until it was far beyond obvious. Plus many of our big money donors with the cash to reset the situation seemed to be in on the delusion.

Man oh man, I think that even Jeff Bz was a better hire than this considering he had actually coached in college before and been to a NCAA tourney one time. Could this work out- I mean, I guess so, maybe ? And I guess so, maybe is me put the best possible spin on it.

The benefits package is what really killed our bid for Matta last year, not Covid. But, believe it or not, I heard it was the lack of full dental coverage that killed the deal. IU must have better benefits packages for AD staff than first year coaches.

birdman, would it be accurate to say that Hatch FUCKED Matta?

Back