• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Not that easy to win at Cincy but they're good at hiring good coaches. The selling points are easy academics, Cincy amenities, and strong alumni support around town. That's about it. Conference affiliation stinks and the campus is not in a great area and has a crime problem. UC is big, 40K-plus students, although many don't live on campus. But unlike at WF, a lot of the ones that do are big sports fans.

Looks like Danny is signing on as an assistant coach under Mark Turgeon at Maryland. Maryland reaction is all over the map. Many apparently wanted a former Maryland player, Duane Simpkins. Others trash this as a "crony hire."

I know it isn't official yet, but I'm sure this was missed by most everyone.

I'm also sure most posters will say it is dumb to care what happens to Manning, but as a fan of college hoops I'm interested.

Personally, I thnk Manning would probably be a shitty assistant coach, too. I guess maybe if you limit his role to working with big men, you can get value from him... But I'm not sure he adds much (anything) to recruiting efforts.

I know it isn't official yet, but I'm sure this was missed by most everyone.

I'm also sure most posters will say it is dumb to care what happens to Manning, but as a fan of college hoops I'm interested.

Personally, I thnk Manning would probably be a shitty assistant coach, too. I guess maybe if you limit his role to working with big men, you can get value from him... But I'm not sure he adds much (anything) to recruiting efforts.

wasn't he well thought of as an assistant at KU under Self, which led to the Tulsa job?

wasn't he well thought of as an assistant at KU under Self, which led to the Tulsa job?

Well, sure... But I think he has a lot more gravitas at KU than he does anywhere else in the world.

Kudos to him for taking an assistant coaching position. I guess he clearly wants to keep coaching.

Well, sure... But I think he has a lot more gravitas at KU than he does anywhere else in the world.

Kudos to him for taking an assistant coaching position. I guess he clearly wants to keep coaching.

Yeah, the dude doesn't need to coach, so he's doing it because he wants to compete. People here rightly criticized Dino for not jumping back in the game for years. Manning had the will to keep going.

Manning had the will to keep going.

Mmm. Ok. Or he knows he failed spectacularly and is trying to rehab his image. Maybe to try to give it one more go as a head coach somewhere or maybe just to leave a better image of himself to the public. In all likelihood his motivations are mixed.

Excellent choice. The one issue is that Jones is older. He's in his mid 50s, but when Jones took over Radford (he had been an assistant under Beilein and Shaka), they were horrible, and Jones consistently won there, 5 twenty win seasons, winning record 7 out of the last 8 years. He has some bigtime wins while at Radford: @ Texas, @ ND, @ G'town, @ Penn State. Radford was expected to be awful this past year with Carlik Jones leaving for L'ville and little experience, but they finished 2nd in the Big South behind Winthrop.

Or did we find a way to say his grad rates sucked and we didn't owe a buyout?

Guess turgeon likes free throws and paint touches. Actually, pay me. I just gave up the game plan!

Excellent choice. The one issue is that Jones is older. He's in his mid 50s, but when Jones took over Radford (he had been an assistant under Beilein and Shaka), they were horrible, and Jones consistently won there, 5 twenty win seasons, winning record 7 out of the last 8 years. He has some bigtime wins while at Radford: @ Texas, @ ND, @ G'town, @ Penn State. Radford was expected to be awful this past year with Carlik Jones leaving for L'ville and little experience, but they finished 2nd in the Big South behind Winthrop.

Unless you think his age affects his short-term potential, I don't think his age is an issue. If they hire a young coach that is successful, he will move on after a few years, anyway.

Mike Jones seems to have a pretty standard coaching career. He was a long time assistant and steadily moved up the ladder. But back then they didn't want him as a head coach. He went to Radford and turned around a dead program. Now he's hot and they're all on him.

seems like 100 years of loser talk to hire a 50 year old coach, need someone young and hungry

If that’s real it’s incredible. Leonard owning the Twitterz.

Back