• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Penn State appears to be zeroing in on Micah Shrewsberry. Coached at Butler with Brad Stevens. 6 seasons with the Celtics sandwiched between two stints at Purdue. Wondering if BC will go after Dennis Gates from Cleveland State. His wife is an Associate AD at BC and just won the Nike Division I Administrator of the Year. Seems like he might be able to do better than BC.

Penn State appears to be zeroing in on Micah Shrewsberry. Coached at Butler with Brad Stevens. 6 seasons with the Celtics sandwiched between two stints at Purdue. Wondering if BC will go after Dennis Gates from Cleveland State. His wife is an Associate AD at BC and just won the Nike Division I Administrator of the Year. Seems like he might be able to do better than BC.

Gates was an assistant at FSU for several years, so he's familiar with the ACC. BC is an obvious fit for that very reason. Gates and his wife, Jocelyn, have been moving up the ladder working at different universities for several years now. Jocelyn certainly could be a prospect for an AD job soon enough, but I don't think any university is willing to hire a wife and husband AD and coach combo. She could possibly get an AD job at another university in the area though. Boston is one of the few cities where a couple has a lot of options to work at different universities.

Starting to see all of the Hot Seat articles that come out this time every year...

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carousel-sean-miller-arizona-patrick-ewing-191946911.html

ESPN's is behind a paywall, but I liked Yahoo!'s

Nice to not see Danny Manning (Wake Forest) on the list this year.

I did think it was interesting to see Bruce Weber (Kansas State) on the list... That was a Currie hire that people pointed to as a success.

And wow Steve Prohm has sucked lately. Didn't see that coming.

Y'all ready for this? The Athletic is reporting Danny Manning is interested in the AD position at Kansas. Presented without comment (although there are so many great lines out there).

He's a god there for good reason. I could see it.

The only thing that makes sense to me would be for him to become a big man coach and 2nd/3rd assistant. It's not like the has the personality to raise funds. We know he's not head coaching material. I imagine he lands on the bench to coach up the bigs for Kansas and he will most likely excel in that role.

I would think Manning could raise funds in Kansas. That wouldn't be the problem. It would be the management of all of the programs. I would imagine he could be the figurehead fundraiser and delegate the management of the department, but given how he ran a program as head coach, admitting where he was weak and delegating didn't seem to be his strength.

Last edited:
The only thing that makes sense to me would be for him to become a big man coach and 2nd/3rd assistant. It's not like the has the personality to raise funds. We know he's not head coaching material. I imagine he lands on the bench to coach up the bigs for Kansas and he will most likely excel in that role.

I think you may underestimate the draw Danny Manning has for the heavy hitter supporters of Kansas. He may not need much more personality than being Danny Manning out there.

I think you may underestimate the draw Danny Manning has for the heavy hitter supporters of Kansas. He may not need much more personality than being Danny Manning out there.

Absolutely. Kansas has won two Nattys in 69 years: 1988 and 2008. Manning single-handedly led them to a title. College basketball literally is the only thing going on in that state. Nothing else matters. KU fans would pay to watch Danny Manning take a dump.

Absolutely. Kansas has won two Nattys in 69 years: 1988 and 2008. Manning single-handedly led them to a title. College basketball literally is the only thing going on in that state. Nothing else matters. KU fans would pay to watch Danny Manning take a dump.

He took a dump on Wake Forest.

No doubt Manning can latch on at KU in some administrative/fundraising capacity, but he's not getting hired as AD there or anywhere because he doesn't have the skill set or training. College sports is way too big a business for any school to toss the AD keys to an alumnus without the right background, no matter how beloved the guy is.

Especially after the mess they’re currently in.

Purdue Assistant Coach Micah Schrewsbury to Penn State to replace board favorite Pat Chambers.

I would think Matta is beyond the odds on favorite at IU. Fucking Covid!

Last edited:
Indy Star article on IU coaching candidates: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/03/15/indiana-basketball-coaching-candidates-brad-stevens-john-beilein-tony-bennett-scott-drew/6930968002/

Some massive reaches:

1. Brad Stevens
2. Tony Bennett
3. Mark Few
4. Chris Beard
5. Scott Drew
6. Nate Oats

Some other names mentioned:

- Wes Miller
- Pat Kelsey
- John Beilein
- Thad Matta
- Porter Moser
- Mark Pope

I’m glad to see they have expectations firmly rooted in reality.....

Back