Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 536

Thread: 2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    Has Indiana become a bit like Wake in that they've been mediocre to poor for so long that it's difficult for anyone to turn it around? They haven't had sustained success since Knight's latter years there. I was a fan of Archie Miller's at Dayton and think he's still a good coach. I was 1 of the folks who wanted Wake to hire him.
    Tom Crean had a pretty good run there. They made the Sweet 16 for 3 out of 5 years between 2012 and 2016. Much better than anything Wake has had since Odom and Duncan.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by LilburnDeac View Post
    Tom Crean had a pretty good run there. They made the Sweet 16 for 3 out of 5 years between 2012 and 2016. Much better than anything Wake has had since Odom and Duncan.
    Yeah, and they ran him out of town. Much like UCLA, I believe they have an over inflated sense of their place in the hoops universe. They haven't been a top flight program since Knight's good years. Oops, that's Coach Knight to me.

  3. #123
    SVP's take on IU's firing of Crean 4 years ago:




    Had forgotten that it was assumed that Steve Alford was getting the job back them. He's at Nevada now...
    Last edited by Pilchard; 03-16-2021 at 03:46 PM.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    Yeah, and they ran him out of town. Much like UCLA, I believe they have an over inflated sense of their place in the hoops universe. They haven't been a top flight program since Knight's good years. Oops, that's Coach Knight to me.
    Crean was fired because there were as many downs as there were ups, he alienated far too many people in the state whichw as killing recruiting, and the program was trending down yet again. In his last year at IU, there were 4 top 50 recruits in state and he went 0-4, and younger kids like Romeo Langford were not even considering IU.

    On top of that, he had multiple NBA players on his roster (Thomas Bryant, Juwan Morgan and OG Anunoby for 1/2 the season), along with multiple top 100 kids (James Blackmon, Robert Johnson) and still missed the tournament.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    Yeah, and they ran him out of town. Much like UCLA, I believe they have an over inflated sense of their place in the hoops universe. They haven't been a top flight program since Knight's good years. Oops, that's Coach Knight to me.
    I agree. UNC and UK (and maybe Kansas) are the only programs that have been able to replace a "legend"

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    Has Indiana been mediocre to poor for so long that it's difficult for anyone to turn it around?.
    So, worse than Elon?

  7. #127
    Dave Leitao is a money thief.

  8. #128
    Danny Manning interested in Kansas AD job: ‘My love and passion for KU is utmost’

    https://www.kansascity.com/article249841313.html

    “I’ve always said I never wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, I wanted to be the best listener,” Manning added. “(As AD) you are CEO, but you need to delegate to people and do it well.”
    Any Questions?

  9. #129
    Utah and coach Larry Krystowiak part ways.

  10. #130
    Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    DeacsATS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    9,187
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSPumpkins View Post
    Danny Manning interested in Kansas AD job: ‘My love and passion for KU is utmost’

    https://www.kansascity.com/article249841313.html

    “I’ve always said I never wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, I wanted to be the best listener,” Manning added. “(As AD) you are CEO, but you need to delegate to people and do it well.”
    I would pay to see Manning drive KU into the ground as AD. The twisted agony of their fan base would be such a spectacle.

    There’s just no way it happens. Right?

  11. #131
    Well their football can’t get worse

  12. #132
    Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    DeacsATS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    9,187
    This is such a Danny Manning quote:

    Manning, who has been working for ESPN since being replaced as Wake Forest men’s basketball coach following the 2019-20 season, said “absolutely” when asked if he would be able to hire an outstanding football coach. Les Miles is also out after two seasons on the job.

    “You use a search firm and things of that nature and go from there,” said Manning.

  13. #133
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,736
    Quote Originally Posted by LilburnDeac View Post
    I agree. UNC and UK (and maybe Kansas) are the only programs that have been able to replace a "legend"
    And UNC didn’t do it immediately.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsATS View Post
    This is such a Danny Manning quote:

    Manning, who has been working for ESPN since being replaced as Wake Forest men’s basketball coach following the 2019-20 season, said “absolutely” when asked if he would be able to hire an outstanding football coach. Les Miles is also out after two seasons on the job.

    “You use a search firm and things of that nature and go from there,” said Manning.
    Inspiring leadership

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSPumpkins View Post
    Danny Manning interested in Kansas AD job: ‘My love and passion for KU is utmost’

    https://www.kansascity.com/article249841313.html

    “I’ve always said I never wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, I wanted to be the best listener,” Manning added. “(As AD) you are CEO, but you need to delegate to people and do it well.”
    Nailed the first part...

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSPumpkins View Post
    Danny Manning interested in Kansas AD job: ‘My love and passion for KU is utmost’

    https://www.kansascity.com/article249841313.html

    “I’ve always said I never wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, I wanted to be the best listener,” Manning added. “(As AD) you are CEO, but you need to delegate to people and do it well.”
    He would need some assistant AD's who were actually smart to do a lot of the work. But, he could do well in the role of glad handing and getting the heavy hitters to $upport Kansas. He is absolutely still worshipped out there. That national title still carries a lot of clout.

  17. #137
    In the past few days, Minnesota fired Richard Pitino, and New Mexico hired him. Dad Rick is now denying that he is interested in any of the current openings, which likely means that Rick Pitino's agent is putting out feelers to every Power Conference school with an opening.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    In the past few days, Minnesota fired Richard Pitino, and New Mexico hired him. Dad Rick is now denying that he is interested in any of the current openings, which likely means that Rick Pitino's agent is putting out feelers to every Power Conference school with an opening.
    I think Arizona will be open as well.
    Any Questions?

  19. #139
    Think any part of Forbes regrets not waiting another year to move up with all these big jobs opening?

  20. #140
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Nope...Mid-major coaches are one injury or bad season from not being the hot guy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •