• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I know people pooh pooh it, but I would balls to walls for SHAKA if I were IU. CLEARLY he's looking to stay at big state university. The BIG 10 will be the #1 conference for DECADES.

TX is in BAD conference. It's different now than it was last year.

SHAKA isn't like Stevens. His style would NOT work in NBA.

SHAKA and Few are friends. SHAKA could stay IU forrest of his career and be legend like Few is at Gonzaga.

All those guys on list (Beilein, Drew, Oats) will be there after IU takes its shit. If they don't take shot, they are being LOIU. You can't win if you don't try.

Start the bidding at $50.0M/ten years and go up to $55-60M. Mark Cuban can DEFINITELY afford it.

SHAKE to BC rumors are heating up. As I've said over and over again, IU should NOT hire anyone over 60 for coach

Top 5 Right now (still subject to change):

SHAKA
SHAKA
SHAKA
SHAKA
Matta...

I'm not sure I understand why IU would be interested in Matta.

I understand why Wake Forest would have been interested in Matta, but it seems weird that IU would want a guy who is a few years removed from being basically pushed out at Ohio State (which has clearly been the right move for OSU).

Beilein makes more sense, if he's interested. So does Drew.

Last edited:

I understand why Wake Forest would have been interested in Matta, but it seems weird that IU would want a guy who is a few years removed from being basically pushed out at Ohio State (which has clearly been the right move for OSU).

Belein makes more sense, if he's interested. So does Drew.

Matta is from central Illinois where I believe he grew up an IU fan. His success at OSU was significant obviously. I don't personally want him and tend to think he's a guy who needs the best talent to win, but I see the argument for him.

IU's current administration is very conservative and dead set on not repeating its mistake with Kelvin Sampson. Anyone with a hint of shadiness on the recruiting trail is not likely to be in play.

IU is such a delusional fanbse - they want to believe that they're a blue blood program but they've been lost in the wild for so long that they're not even a top tier program in their own conference.

Belein makes more sense, if he's interested. So does Drew.

Wasn't Dr. Naismith Belien's peewee coach?

Wasn't Dr. Naismith Belien's peewee coach?

Yeah, Beilein is old, but this doesn't feel like a complete rebuild.

I had floated the idea that Miller might get fired very early on in this season... But now I'm thinking he might get another year. Delusional fanbase or not, I don't think IU can make a move unless they know they're bringing in a much better coach.

Matta is beloved there. He could replace Miller.

Belein might have an issue with his desire to have his son as an assistant.

IU is such a delusional fanbse - they want to believe that they're a blue blood program but they've been lost in the wild for so long that they're not even a top tier program in their own conference.

I say this as an IU fan, we may be delusional to think we're still a blueblood, but we are entirely reasonable to expect to be a tournament team most years and to compete for B1G titles now and then. IU under Archie has basically been Minnesota, a perpetual bubble team that usually is at or under .500 in conference and not a tournament team. It's just not good enough.

Whether IU can be the IU of Bobby Knight's tenure is an open question, but that's not why Archie should be canned.

Yeah, Beilein is old, but this doesn't feel like a complete rebuild.

I had floated the idea that Miller might get fired very early on in this season... But now I'm thinking he might get another year. Delusional fanbase or not, I don't think IU can make a move unless they know they're bringing in a much better coach.

The $10m buy out and using covid as an excuse could give Archie one more season.

I say this as an IU fan, we may be delusional to think we're still a blueblood, but we are entirely reasonable to expect to be a tournament team most years and to compete for B1G titles now and then. IU under Archie has basically been Minnesota, a perpetual bubble team that usually is at or under .500 in conference and not a tournament team. It's just not good enough.

Whether IU can be the IU of Bobby Knight's tenure is an open question, but that's not why Archie should be canned.

This is an entirely reasonable take, and one that I wish more IU grads that I interact with had. Unfortunately, most that I run into expect to make the tournament every year and to contend for conference and national championships every few years.

Starting to see all of the Hot Seat articles that come out this time every year...

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carousel-sean-miller-arizona-patrick-ewing-191946911.html

ESPN's is behind a paywall, but I liked Yahoo!'s

Nice to not see Danny Manning (Wake Forest) on the list this year.

I did think it was interesting to see Bruce Weber (Kansas State) on the list... That was a Currie hire that people pointed to as a success.

And wow Steve Prohm has sucked lately. Didn't see that coming.

I guess I'm getting old and soft, but it seems premature to me for IU to can Archie, especially with Covid. Apples and oranges, I know, but if Ron Wellman were his AD he would already have been given life tenure.

what about Wojo? He's done relatively nothing in his 6-7 years at Marquette. Under .500 this year and hasn't won a NCAAT game yet.

According to this website, https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/ , the Power conference coaches most likely to get canned this offseason are:

1. Dave Leitao DePaul
2. Archie Miller IU
3. Richard Pitino Minnesota
4. Steve Prohm Iowa State
5. Bruce Weber K State

Those not quite on the hot seat, but close are:

1. Mike Brey ND
2. Josh Pastner GT
3. Mark Turgeon MD

Those that may be in danger:

1. Pat Ewing GT
2. Wojo Marquette

IMO, would have Wojo higher up on the hot-seat list. Given that both MD and GT will likely make the NCAAs, I don't see either of those guys getting canned.

According to this website, https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/ , the Power conference coaches most likely to get canned this offseason are:

1. Dave Leitao DePaul
2. Archie Miller IU
3. Richard Pitino Minnesota
4. Steve Prohm Iowa State
5. Bruce Weber K State

Those not quite on the hot seat, but close are:

1. Mike Brey ND
2. Josh Pastner GT
3. Mark Turgeon MD

Those that may be in danger:

1. Pat Ewing GT
2. Wojo Marquette

IMO, would have Wojo higher up on the hot-seat list. Given that both MD and GT will likely make the NCAAs, I don't see either of those guys getting canned.

My sources tell me MD alums are not happy with Turgeon. Reasons not specified. Supposedly they include at least one Kevin.

There are 65 coaches of P5 programs. 53 have either won their conference tournaments and/or made an elite 8. Of those who haven't, four have coached 10 or more years.

Years include this season.

years Coach
23 Mark Turgeon Maryland
13 Cuonzo Martin Missouri
11 Kyle Smith Washington State
10 Chris Holtmann Ohio State

Nice season for Pat Kelsey this year... Wonder if he gets a look anywhere.

Back