• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Kelsey versus Forbes was a tough choice.

If not for Covid, it was 90+% that Matta would be our coach today.

Every school has boosters with stupid money and nothing better to spend it on. IU is desperate, they are going to make a ridiculous offers to big names. Maybe they get shot down. Maybe not.

FWIW, IU has one current 2021 HS Commit: Logan Duncomb #74 overall. He is a 6-9 235 Center from Ohio. Guessing schools are contacting Logan to see if he is wavering on that commitment. The finalists for Duncomb the first time around were Wisconsin, Iowa and Cincy.

Yeah. Sadly our boosters with "stupid money" actually thought [Redacted] and Manning were good coaches.

As Les said (among plenty of others probably), WF is definitely a winner of the college carousel by not being in it this off-season. While I think that Forbes is going to do great things, even without any results to show right now WF won by getting one of its top choices versus having to compete with something like 25+ schools overall and plenty of high majors for a limited number of "top-level" coaching targets.

Kelsey versus Forbes was a tough choice.

I did not think that it was close between Forbes and Kelsey. At least for me. Forbes has a better track record imo. This season is definitely impressive for Kelsey but if Forbes stayed at ETSU his team would probably had been better than his 30-4 team last season.

Also, what did COVID have to do with us not getting Matta last year?

I might be overly optimistic on Forbes but he just seems like the right guy for Wake Forest to become relevant again. He has been on many great coaching staffs and won at every single stop. He wasn't perfect this season but I was definitely impressed with how the Deacs played and fought the majority of the season considering the talent gap and him taking over a brand new team with a limited offseason and Covid. He also holds himself accountable which is refreshing.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Prohm at Iowa State canned. They were a weird team this year. A few teams blew them out, but they lost a TON of close games. Like a dozen games decided by 7 points or less.

Funny that Pitino got let go from Minnesota and will likely land the New Mexico job less than 24 hours later.

I imagine Prohm will be able to get another job this cycle if he wants one.

Will be fun to see where a lot of these "up and coming" coaches that we've been discussing for years end up this year given all of the openings...

TJ Otzelberger seems to be the favorite at Iowa State (though they could go a ton of different directions). I read an article that said they'd have been all over Iowa native Steve Forbes if he hadn't taken the Wake Forest job last year... I bet they still make a call.

Craig Smith will get a power conference job this cycle (if he wants one). Same for Porter Moser.

Wes Miller & Niko Medved also names I've heard floated a lot.

Can't help it if you don't know what others do.

Would you agree that if Matta doesn't take a job this year, your statement was incorrect?

He'll have no shortage of opportunities this time around... And COVID shouldn't be an issue anymore.

The realty is RJ could show significant portion people on this board emails or text or Skypes" with a pier 1 source and they would say they weren't real.

He shared that punk Goodman's story was NOT true and ever since then has told anyone who would listen Goodman's $18M numbers were BULLSHIT. And it came true

He laid out SPECIFIC reasons why Danny wasn't fired in 2019, and he gave board most PERFECT information of how Danny's firing and the hiring of Forbes would go down last year.

I understand that no matter how much of what RJ tells you comes to pass there's segment here that will dismiss it or come up with excuses. They are LOUDEST and SUREST about themselves among "universe". Even when they are wong, they have said RJ was wrong.

Would you agree that if Matta doesn't take a job this year, your statement was incorrect?

He'll have no shortage of opportunities this time around... And COVID shouldn't be an issue anymore.

No, I wouldn't. You have no clue how I know this and I do know this. I am not offering an opinion.

Full circle, RJ making up bullshit with no proof at the exact same time as last year.

Full circle, RJ making up bullshit with no proof at the exact same time as last year.

Except last year, BabyDeac, the judge people chose, corroborated where my info came from. The bullshit came from those who did believe it.

But why be bothered with facts?

You losers just can't accept that RJ knows his SOURCE and this SOURCE has never been wong about anything Wake. If you took the time to actually read what he posts, NOT that he posts it, you'd know there are very, very. very. few things he says he knows for sure or has SOURCES on. Buyout RUSE, Matta turning down Wake because COVID, and hatch fucking SHAKA are thfree of those very, very, very, very rare situations. He don't care what you or others believe. He knows what he knows and from for whom.

I fully understand it's easier to take the ERRONEOUS and LAZY position that because RJ posts something he is saying he knows all about it, but he amost NEVER says such things.

But keep believing that RJ knows nothing. It's soooooooo much easier.

ATS intentially ignores that RJ and only RJ laid out the SPECIFIC reasons why MATTA couldn't take Wake job. I notice ATS hasn't named his sources, but expects to RJ do so. What a HIPPOCRITE! BTW, if they are real sources, they will NEVER give him any info ever again if he ousts them. That's what proves he doesn't know what "source" is.

BTW, I'd LOVE to see Racer's "proof" that RJ's first book has lies in it. Come on, put up or SHUT UP!

RJ back on his bullshit again is the only thing that could make me nostalgic for 2020

Two things...

The assumption is that IU wouldn’t have fired Miller (with his $10mil buyout) without having a new coach in place. That tells me it isn’t someone currently coaching in the NCAA Tournament. Matta or Beilein?

Earl Grant doesn’t strike me as a terrible hire. He’s definitely been discussed on these boards over the years.

Has Indiana become a bit like Wake in that they've been mediocre to poor for so long that it's difficult for anyone to turn it around? They haven't had sustained success since Knight's latter years there. I was a fan of Archie Miller's at Dayton and think he's still a good coach. I was 1 of the folks who wanted Wake to hire him.

Earl, why leave COC for BC?!? I've caught a few COC games over the years and think he can coach. BC is death.

And how does Dave Leitao keep getting hired, and why did it take DePaul 6 years to fire him? He's an abusive asshole, not a great recruiter, a below average Xs and Os guy and the worst designer of inbounds plays ever.

Back