• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Has Indiana become a bit like Wake in that they've been mediocre to poor for so long that it's difficult for anyone to turn it around? They haven't had sustained success since Knight's latter years there. I was a fan of Archie Miller's at Dayton and think he's still a good coach. I was 1 of the folks who wanted Wake to hire him.

Tom Crean had a pretty good run there. They made the Sweet 16 for 3 out of 5 years between 2012 and 2016. Much better than anything Wake has had since Odom and Duncan.

Tom Crean had a pretty good run there. They made the Sweet 16 for 3 out of 5 years between 2012 and 2016. Much better than anything Wake has had since Odom and Duncan.

Yeah, and they ran him out of town. Much like UCLA, I believe they have an over inflated sense of their place in the hoops universe. They haven't been a top flight program since Knight's good years. Oops, that's Coach Knight to me.

SVP's take on IU's firing of Crean 4 years ago:

Had forgotten that it was assumed that Steve Alford was getting the job back them. He's at Nevada now...

Last edited:
Yeah, and they ran him out of town. Much like UCLA, I believe they have an over inflated sense of their place in the hoops universe. They haven't been a top flight program since Knight's good years. Oops, that's Coach Knight to me.

Crean was fired because there were as many downs as there were ups, he alienated far too many people in the state whichw as killing recruiting, and the program was trending down yet again. In his last year at IU, there were 4 top 50 recruits in state and he went 0-4, and younger kids like Romeo Langford were not even considering IU.

On top of that, he had multiple NBA players on his roster (Thomas Bryant, Juwan Morgan and OG Anunoby for 1/2 the season), along with multiple top 100 kids (James Blackmon, Robert Johnson) and still missed the tournament.

I agree. UNC and UK (and maybe Kansas) are the only programs that have been able to replace a "legend"

Danny Manning interested in Kansas AD job: ‘My love and passion for KU is utmost’

https://www.kansascity.com/article249841313.html

“I’ve always said I never wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, I wanted to be the best listener,” Manning added. “(As AD) you are CEO, but you need to delegate to people and do it well.”

Danny Manning interested in Kansas AD job: ‘My love and passion for KU is utmost’

“I’ve always said I never wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, I wanted to be the best listener,” Manning added. “(As AD) you are CEO, but you need to delegate to people and do it well.”

I would pay to see Manning drive KU into the ground as AD. The twisted agony of their fan base would be such a spectacle.

There’s just no way it happens. Right?

This is such a Danny Manning quote:

Manning, who has been working for ESPN since being replaced as Wake Forest men’s basketball coach following the 2019-20 season, said “absolutely” when asked if he would be able to hire an outstanding football coach. Les Miles is also out after two seasons on the job.

“You use a search firm and things of that nature and go from there,” said Manning.

This is such a Danny Manning quote:

Manning, who has been working for ESPN since being replaced as Wake Forest men’s basketball coach following the 2019-20 season, said “absolutely” when asked if he would be able to hire an outstanding football coach. Les Miles is also out after two seasons on the job.

“You use a search firm and things of that nature and go from there,” said Manning.

Inspiring leadership

He would need some assistant AD's who were actually smart to do a lot of the work. But, he could do well in the role of glad handing and getting the heavy hitters to $upport Kansas. He is absolutely still worshipped out there. That national title still carries a lot of clout.

In the past few days, Minnesota fired Richard Pitino, and New Mexico hired him. Dad Rick is now denying that he is interested in any of the current openings, which likely means that Rick Pitino's agent is putting out feelers to every Power Conference school with an opening.

In the past few days, Minnesota fired Richard Pitino, and New Mexico hired him. Dad Rick is now denying that he is interested in any of the current openings, which likely means that Rick Pitino's agent is putting out feelers to every Power Conference school with an opening.

I think Arizona will be open as well.

Think any part of Forbes regrets not waiting another year to move up with all these big jobs opening?

Nope...Mid-major coaches are one injury or bad season from not being the hot guy.

Back