• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

We’ll probably never know for sure. This always seemed like a one year deal for a staff hired in a pandemic.

Forbes knew he would have one spot to fill on his staff when Shay got the ETSU job. What better way to make a good impression on the Wake community than keeping a Wake legend on staff.

Now with significantly more movement of coaches, is a good time for Randolph to move onto other endeavors. If he wants to coach, there are spots open. If he wants to move into administration, similarly there are openings, including at MSD.

He helped Wake through some trying times. Now it's time for him to do what he wants next.

Forbes knew he would have one spot to fill on his staff when Shay got the ETSU job. What better way to make a good impression on the Wake community than keeping a Wake legend on staff.

Now with significantly more movement of coaches, is a good time for Randolph to move onto other endeavors. If he wants to coach, there are spots open. If he wants to move into administration, similarly there are openings, including at MSD.

He helped Wake through some trying times. Now it's time for him to do what he wants next.

Having worked under two of the worst coaches on planet earth, he should be eligible for some kind of hazard pay. Perhaps an Iron-man award.

Having worked under two of the worst coaches on planet earth, he should be eligible for some kind of hazard pay. Perhaps an Iron-man award.

I interpreted some of the wording in the announcement to mean that Randolph had a job in the Wake Athletics Department any time he wants one.

Speedy Clayton new coach at Hofstra

When you brought up Speedy, I thought of legendary Philly HS/college/HS Coach Speedy Morris. If I'm not mistaken, he is the only person to coach the men's and women's programs at the same D1 school. I think he's also the most recent D1 men's coach who took the job without a college degree.

I think he has north of 900 HS wins and over 250 collegiate wins. It's outrageous he's not in the Hall of Fame.

I interpreted some of the wording in the announcement to mean that Randolph had a job in the Wake Athletics Department any time he wants one.

Something we've known for almost 30 years and seemed to work out fine until 10 years ago.

Mark Turgeon gets a five year extension from Maryland. In addition to cash, his contract has interesting incentives:

Win or tie the B1G regular season championship and get another year added. Same with a sweet 16 or winning B1G tournament. 2years added for an Elite Eight.

Sean Miller fired by AZ. I guess five NCAA Level 1 Violations and an FBI investigation were enough.

Seems like every school has a couple of internet moguls that killed it during the pandemic and have money to burn. IU found one alum with $10 million burning a hole in his/her pocket, and he/she alone took care of the Archie Miller buyout. Also, Arizona has been building their case to fire Sean Miller for cause for 3 years. Doubt the Wildcats will need to pay 100% of the cost of the buyout. Sumlin was fired for being a crappy coach. When that is the ground, schools generally have to pay the full buyout.

Arizona AD states that Miller was fired without cause. Deal only ran through 2022 though. Wouldn't say whether the Board of Regents declined to extend him.

Mark Turgeon gets a five year extension from Maryland. In addition to cash, his contract has interesting incentives:

Win or tie the B1G regular season championship and get another year added. Same with a sweet 16 or winning B1G tournament. 2years added for an Elite Eight.

Turgeon has been OK, but not great, at MD. Turgeon's current deal had only another year or two; so, Maryland had to extend or move on to another coach, but surprised by the length and favorable terms, given that the MD fanbase was mixed about bringing him back at all. Maryland has generally failed at landing quality recruits from DC (he has done OK in Baltimore and Philly). The favorable terms indicate that Turgeon may have gotten interest from OK (or some other Power Conference school with an opening) which forced Maryland to up the ante.

Despise MD for leaving the ACC. Also, don't forget that when MD was good, their fanbase routinely became unnecessarily violent and destructive when they won; have attended games at almost every ACC venue, and generally if opposing fans were derisive, it was funny, with a hint of truth, which is welcomed. Maryland fans were just a-holes, stupid and unfunny. Classless group. Really hope that MD sucks in the next year or two, and MD is stuck with a contract that they can't get out of.

Does he get a bonus for eating his vegetables?

Turgeon has been OK, but not great, at MD. Turgeon's current deal had only another year or two; so, Maryland had to extend or move on to another coach, but surprised by the length and favorable terms, given that the MD fanbase was mixed about bringing him back at all. Maryland has generally failed at landing quality recruits from DC (he has done OK in Baltimore and Philly). The favorable terms indicate that Turgeon may have gotten interest from OK (or some other Power Conference school with an opening) which forced Maryland to up the ante.

Despise MD for leaving the ACC. Also, don't forget that when MD was good, their fanbase routinely became unnecessarily violent and destructive when they won; have attended games at almost every ACC venue, and generally if opposing fans were derisive, it was funny, with a hint of truth, which is welcomed. Maryland fans were just a-holes, stupid and unfunny. Classless group. Really hope that MD sucks in the next year or two, and MD is stuck with a contract that they can't get out of.

I think part of the reason they went with an incentive-heavy deal was to help lower the buyout as well. I don't think many around Maryland (fans and AD included) would have minded if he took another job this off-season, but he also hadn't been bad enough to just outright fire.

Back