• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

This is dumb as shit. Why not just hire a coach who knows what he's doing ?

This kinda looks like an all hands on deck to save the program. If they are paying Matta enough, he might stick around for 5-7 years until Woodson retires and then replace him. Or keeping Matta close if an NBA offer interests Woodson.

Clearly they really wanted Matta but he’s unable to physically coach so they’re paying him to sit behind a desk

This kinda looks like an all hands on deck to save the program. If they are paying Matta enough, he might stick around for 5-7 years until Woodson retires and then replace him. Or keeping Matta close if an NBA offer interests Woodson.

If Matta is not well enough to coach now, he won’t be in 5-7 years. If he was well enough to coach now, I doubt he’d agree to be Plan B if Woodson goes to the pros.

Clearly they really wanted Matta but he’s unable to physically coach so they’re paying him to sit behind a desk

Totally agree. If he was healthy and wanted to coach...he would be the coach.

If Matta is not well enough to coach now, he won’t be in 5-7 years. If he was well enough to coach now, I doubt he’d agree to be Plan B if Woodson goes to the pros.

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL....Read the SI qutoe:

Ohio State coach was set to become the new leader of the Hoosiers before the deal has fell through on a health screening, multiple media outlets are now saying that original story is not true."

The story about his health ISN'T true.

Yeah, “multiple media outlets” have never been wrong once in the history of the world. Doesn’t this arrangement make it obvious that they wanted Matta and the health issues are a problem?

pretty interesting strategy by indiana, i wonder if it will be emulated by other schools. i’m sure there are plenty of guys like matta who aren’t able to handle a full time coaching job but can still be used for high leverage type stuff in conjunction with a full time coach who is good at dealing with players.

if the story about Matta's health is not true, then IU should have hired Matta to coach the basketball team, because he's a better college coach (when healthy) than Mike Woodson will be

Maybe that guy who had been turning down head coaching jobs for years doesn’t want to be a head coach.

He doesn’t have to fail a health screening to know he’s not healthy enough to coach. In fact I doubt he’d agree to a physical if he already knew this. So sure, the SI report might be accurate and it wouldn’t necessarily change anything.

It’s weird Matta would talks this role. RJ said he would have coached at Wake but for COVID

Matta is definitely open to returning. He lives in Indy area. He was very close to taking our job.

Purdue Assistant Coach Micah Schrewsbury to Penn State to replace board favorite Pat Chambers.

I would think Matta is beyond the odds on favorite at IU. Fucking Covid!

Stevens wouldn't take the job this month. Bennett and Few ain't going nowhere. Isn't Beard a TX guy? Why would Drew leave a school that has money and no rules? I'm guessing there is a massive buyout for Oats' contract extension he signed less than a month ago.

Beilein may be too old.

Just like Wake's job, I think IU's may be Matta's to take or leave.

Matta is fifteen years younger than Beilein. He has deep regional ties, lives in the area and is itching to get back into coaching.

If I were handicapping the IU job. it would look like:

Matta 4/5
Beilein 7/1
Moser 10/1
Pope 12/1
Kelsey 15/1 (if he wins an NCAA game or 20-1 if he doesn't)
HOF Wes 25-1 (unless he wins in The NCAAT, then 12-1)

Believe it or not Moser is only one year younger than Matta.

If something crazy happens in Boston over the next days or if IU wants to offer Stevens $100M/10 years, these odds could change.

Kelsey versus Forbes was a tough choice.

If not for Covid, it was 90+% that Matta would be our coach today.

I'd guess Moser is #2 choice behind Matta at IU and #1 choice for Marquette.

What were the odds on Woodson?

It's not about the x's and o's, it's all about the Jimmies and Joes. Woodson is an answer to an image problem that has plagued IU recruiting for years. It's past time to move beyond Bobby Knight and past glory. Woodson addresses this problem.

It's not about the x's and o's, it's all about the Jimmies and Joes. Woodson is an answer to an image problem that has plagued IU recruiting for years. It's past time to move beyond Bobby Knight and past glory. Woodson addresses this problem.

How? He played for Knight in the glory days.

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL....Read the SI qutoe:

Ohio State coach was set to become the new leader of the Hoosiers before the deal has fell through on a health screening, multiple media outlets are now saying that original story is not true."

The story about his health ISN'T true.
Reading IS fundamental. It does not say which part is not true. You're just unable to read anything through a lense that doesn't reinforce your own bullshit.

Back