• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Congrats to Justin on getting the head coaching job.

I have always favored former point guards for coaches. Because they start the offense, they need to know the role every player on the team has in a particular play. Similarly, on defense, he guards the opponent's point guard, usually Startin farthest from the basket. He has to know how and where his team mates are going to be playing behind him, and he can't look. He has to know.

Congrats to Justin on getting the head coaching job.

I have always favored former point guards for coaches. Because they start the offense, they need to know the role every player on the team has in a particular play. Similarly, on defense, he guards the opponent's point guard, usually Startin farthest from the basket. He has to know how and where his team mates are going to be playing behind him, and he can't look. He has to know.

Yeah, Chris Paul would make a great coach.

WCU is going to have to give Justin some time. They essentially have no roster right now.

The Catamounts finished 2nd from last in the SoCon last year, and have already lost every player who played significant minutes last year - 8 WCU players entered the portal, and the best ones have already committed elsewhere. It appears their leading returning scorer who has NOT entered the transfer portal is Freshman Anmir Langlais who averaged 2.9 points per game. Looks like WCU currently has 4 returning scholarship players, and one player from the HS class of 2021 who has signed an LOI. Gray is going to have a clean slate to work from, but man, WCU will need to be patient.

This is what Randolph should do. Take a job at a mid major and work his way through the ranks.

You don’t just take a job, you earn it. Gray has been a part of two winning staffs at Winthrop and he convinced the folks at WCU that he can bring that to Cullowhee.

I’m really happy for him. One of my favorite players and one of the most decorated players in Wake history. The list of Wake players who earned All-Freshman and then All-ACC for three years is pretty short.

You don’t just take a job, you earn it. Gray has been a part of two winning staffs at Winthrop and he convinced the folks at WCU that he can bring that to Cullowhee.

I’m really happy for him. One of my favorite players and one of the most decorated players in Wake history. The list of Wake players who earned All-Freshman and then All-ACC for three years is pretty short.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

I do not think you just "take" a job. Meant Randolph needs to work his way up the coaching ladder. Earn it as you say.

Maybe Justin can hire Randolph at WCU.

Will be very interested to see who Justin hires for his staff. There will be some early struggles, but really exciting for him. He has the personality to attract talent.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

I do not think you just "take" a job. Meant Randolph needs to work his way up the coaching ladder. Earn it as you say.

Sure but Childress earning it probably won’t mean just getting a midmajor head coaching job. He’ll need to be a successful assistant first.

Sure but Childress earning it probably won’t mean just getting a midmajor head coaching job. He’ll need to be a successful assistant first.

He's been an assistant for an ACC program for years. You're overestimating the qualifications you need to have for these lower level head coaching jobs.

Yeah Justin Gray got a head job as an assistant with much less experience at a much lesser program. Chill could be a coach tomorrow at any number of programs.

Coaching at any level, but particularly trying to win at lower-level D1 school is about hustle as much as anything. You have to love to recruit and make connections. It's living constantly on the road, going to crappy towns and making pitches to kids that couldn't carry your jock-strap as a player and nuzzling up to shady AAU coaches. It's not for everybody. If Chill wants to live in Culowhee and travel to JUCOs in Coffeyville, Kansas, Odessa Texas, Chipola, Florida to try to land a 6-5 tweener that Power Conference Schools won't look at, go for it, but you have to go all in or you will embarrass yourself because all of the coaches (and their assistants) are putting in max effort to climb the ladder. It's a brutally competitive profession, and you can know basketball and be engaging and still get your ass kicked if you think you are going to have a life outside the game.

He's been an assistant for an ACC program for years. You're overestimating the qualifications you need to have for these lower level head coaching jobs.

I’m overestimating winning? Being an assistant for a coach on the rise? Being young and hungry?

Looking like the candidates for the Arizona job are down to 4:

- Gonzaga Assistant Tommy Lloyd
- GT's Josh Pastner
- BYU's Mark Pope
- Houston Rockets Assistant Matt Brase (played for Arizona; Lute Olson's grandson)

brase gonna walk in with a pic of granpa holding him as a baby "i'll just leave this right here..." <while he backs out of the door>

brase gonna walk in with a pic of granpa holding him as a baby "i'll just leave this right here..." <while he backs out of the door>

But then Pastner will walk in and replace it with a pic of himself in a massive face shield and unkempt mess of hair, and the job will be his.

But then Pastner will walk in and replace it with a pic of himself in a massive face shield and unkempt mess of hair, and the job will be his.

He'll leave an inspirational voice mail as well.

Wes Miller a finalist for the Cincinnati job. I'm sure we'll regret missing him.

Back