• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ski Resort Advice Needed (NC/VA/WV)

I guess that I always come back to my firm belief that money is wasted on skiing in the east and south, especially the latter. If the idea of the vacation is to ski your ass off, go west. If the vacation is primarily social, to be with the family, and what not, then go wherever you want.

I love Alta, and got my instructor certification there. By Alta standards, the snowfall is dismal this year. Alta and snowbird typically have over 100" of base by february, 1. this year, it's about half that. Fuckin' covid is even affecting the snowfall!

I guess that I always come back to my firm belief that money is wasted on skiing in the east and south, especially the latter. If the idea of the vacation is to ski your ass off, go west. If the vacation is primarily social, to be with the family, and what not, then go wherever you want.

I love Alta, and got my instructor certification there. By Alta standards, the snowfall is dismal this year. Alta and snowbird typically have over 100" of base by february, 1. this year, it's about half that. Fuckin' covid is even affecting the snowfall!

Alta is holy ground. Just love that place and I’ve only skied like half of it in my 3 trips there.

One thing that always gets me is the altitude with those long runs. I have to take breaks coming down. Same thing at canyons. Of course I’m a very mediocre skier. I compare that to wintergreen. 3 minutes down 30 up.

Man. Really missing it this year. We were there last year when Kobe died and at every lift the guys would ask “you all hear about Kobe?”

Just returned from a ski trip to Big Sky and would highly recommend. Tons of trails/lifts with limited crowds.

American just started offering a direct flight from Charlotte to Bozeman and current fares are very reasonable...about $275 per person round trip.

Just returned from a ski trip to Big Sky and would highly recommend. Tons of trails/lifts with limited crowds.

American just started offering a direct flight from Charlotte to Bozeman and current fares are very reasonable...about $275 per person round trip.

Only on Saturdays, right? Or is it daily?

Got in a day at Solitude while out in SLC for work last week. Had never skied there, and really enjoyed it. Got about 7 inches of fresh, but they definitely still need snow. Heading out to Snowbird/Alta for 5 days (again after work) late this month. Thinking things should be in great shape by then. The SLC resorts are just unmatched in terms of travel ease.

one of my sons is seriously considering Denver or Colorado for school next year, so I guess I'll have to take him out there in early march to check it out. Poor us.

Snowshoe is the best of those listed. Wintergreen is decent if you're staying closer. If you're willing to drive further, Canaan Valley or Timberline in WV are also good. I'd definitely recommend WV in December, as the conditions will be much better than NC/VA.

Skied at Sugar today. Crowded this afternoon. One of the lifts was closed. Headed back out to night ski. Family has been here since Wednesday.

If you are sticking to the NC,VA, WVA plan, Snowshoe is unquestionably the best skiing you'll find. One, somewhat out of the way spot that I have never seen crowded is Blue Knob in Southern PA. It's always seemed incredibly cold there.
If you are going to VT, try Okemo. It's near Killington but tends to avoid the big crowds.
If you are considering out west, consider Tahoe. Lots of options there and it has never seemed crowded. Like a 10-15 min wait at a lift is a long wait.

Alta was the first place I went out west powder skiing. Took lessons in class. One spot showed who the two easterners in the class were. We hit a small patch of ice in a very narrow pass. The two easterners skied through, because we instinctively edged the skis to get some bite on the ice. The western powder skiers had to clue about edges. They all crashed.

Skied at Sugar today. Crowded this afternoon. One of the lifts was closed. Headed back out to night ski. Family has been here since Wednesday.

How far in advance did you get passes for Saturday? Understand weekends are tough to get with the limited numbers.

How far in advance did you get passes for Saturday? Understand weekends are tough to get with the limited numbers.

Sugar only allows you to purchase on the day of so when I got there at 8 AM on Saturday there was a huge line and it took an hour to get my lift tickets. Best bet is to be in line by 7:30. They sold out for the day around 11:00, so you can imagine how crowded it was. We left at lunchtime but had already been skiing for a couple of days. You might be able to buy the night before, but I'm not sure. Snow wasn't great on Saturday, but they got some nice accumulation on Saturday night.

Beech lets you buy online in advance.

Snowshoe is the best of those listed. Wintergreen is decent if you're staying closer. If you're willing to drive further, Canaan Valley or Timberline in WV are also good. I'd definitely recommend WV in December, as the conditions will be much better than NC/VA.

Man, I had totally forgotten about Timberline. It's been years. Good times there.

Back