• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - WF Women Struggling In Moon Golf Invitational

The entire athletic department needs a sports psychologist. A wake team playing to its seed in a national tournament is usually a source of achievement. We regularly underachieve our national ranking and hardly ever overachieve.

Might could say that about most of us, too.

The entire athletic department needs a sports psychologist. A wake team playing to its seed in a national tournament is usually a source of achievement. We regularly underachieve our national ranking and hardly ever overachieve.
The athletic department now employs at least one full time sports psychologist, I think

Back in the 2000s teams had to request specially for one be brought in

The athletic department now employs at least one full time sports psychologist, I think

Back in the 2000s teams had to request specially for one be brought in

Our sports psychologist needs a sports psychologist!

Fire the sports psychologist!! :dumb:

Starting Friday, the Men's NCAA Championship will compete on the same course (Grayhawk GC in Scottsdale) as the women's championship (Ole Miss versus OK State), which concludes today. The Deacs are one of only 3 programs (Texas and Arizona State are the others) to have both a men's and women's team qualify for the NCAA Championship. 30 teams advanced to this stage. There is a cut (IIRC, top 15 teams) after 3 rounds, and then the top 8 teams after 4 stroke-play rounds advance to match play.

Starting Friday, the Men's NCAA Championship will compete on the same course (Grayhawk GC in Scottsdale) as the women's championship (Ole Miss versus OK State), which concludes today. The Deacs are one of only 3 programs (Texas and Arizona State are the others) to have both a men's and women's team qualify for the NCAA Championship. 30 teams advanced to this stage. There is a cut (IIRC, top 15 teams) after 3 rounds, and then the top 8 teams after 4 stroke-play rounds advance to match play.

Maybe our women’s team could give the guys some insights about playing there so that they have a better result. Don’t know if it was heat, the multi-day grind, pressure or something else, but something caused them to implode on their last nine.

Ok State has men and women as well

Guys will need to hydrate more than they think they need to. In the desert you don't feel sweaty like you do in NC. They should drink on a schedule, not on a "feel thirsty" basis.

And let me guess - we'll be the only team wearing long pants.

I hope not. Black long pants in the desert would definitely be a competitive disadvantage. Think that Wake is the only team that does this.
If our women’s team can wear shorts, why can’t our men? This is discrimination.

I hope not. Black long pants in the desert would definitely be a competitive disadvantage. Think that Wake is the only team that does this.
If our women’s team can wear shorts, why can’t our men? This is discrimination.

I think someone said the men's team chooses to do this. That it is their "tradition." However, there comes a point where long pants has to become a physical disadvantage, if you are the only one doing it. And I get that today's performance fabrics breathe/wick/etc., but when it gets into the hundreds, they don't breathe as well as shorts.

Women don't wear pants in the pros, so that comparison doesn't work. But I also think the Men should absolutely wear shorts.

Scottsdale's forecast over the next 8 days is 101 tomorrow and 100 or more through next week There is tradition, and then there is logic, reason and taking every step to ensure that the team is in the best position to win. Tradition is fine until it puts your program at competitive disadvantage. Please don't be stupid and then blame it on tradition. When the tournament is over, no one is going to GAF if WF complied with tradition and wore long pants. Only the result will matter.

The team better be fully hydrated by the time they arrive in Arizona, then they can maintain hydration. There is no catch up in the desert if you are in the sun and active.

Yeah but it's a dry heat

I knew somebody was going to say that......it’s still hot.

A few years ago, I was in Scottsdale for a conference. It was 114......dry heat. I wanted to see what it really felt like so I sat in a lounge chair by the pool. I lasted 10 minutes.

Yeah but it's a dry heat

Which means you can dehydrate without knowing it. Sweat evaporates as fast as it is produced. So you don't feel like you are losing water. Guys will need about a liter of water (or sports drink) every hour.

Someone should get these hydration details to the staff as I'm sure they're unaware...

Back