• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - Women’s ACC Tournament April 18-21

Wobbly start for the Deacs in Palo Alto. WF is the top seed in regional, and the Deacs are currently in a tie for 5th (WF finished round 1; at least one other school ahead of the Lady Deacs could drop behind WF by the time all teams finish). Top 6 teams advance.

Emilia Migliaccio had the individual lead after 12 holes at -5, but finished bogey-bogey-par-double-par-bogey to drop to 23rd (shot 40 on the back). Rachel Kuehn played unevenly finishing round 1 in a tie 44th at +2. No WF player is in the top 20 out of the 95 players in the field.

Still two more rounds to go, but this may have been the worst round of the year for the #3 golf team in the nation.

UPDATE: Deacs finish round 1 in the #3 spot, behind Stanford and VT.

The team was -4 on the front 9 and +10 on the back 9. Really rough finish. Stanford obviously with some home field advantage. Now that we’ve played the course, hopefully the results will be better tomorrow.

13 shots clear of 6th. Looks like we will safely advance.

Guess Stanford knows how to play their home course. They were the #5 seed, and they are destroying the field. They have 23 shot lead over the 2nd place team, and 4 of their 5 players are all tied for first out of the 95 players in the field.

As the 5th seeded team in the region I am curious how they got to host. Is that something that is decided well in advance? Not that it really matters, but seems absurd that they get to play a course that leads to having the top 4 golfers in a field of about 100, and those golfers aren't all top tier.

Worth a mention-- Mark Power finished 3-1 for GB&I in the Walker Cup. Alex Fitzpatrick was an unfortunate 0-4.

As the 5th seeded team in the region I am curious how they got to host. Is that something that is decided well in advance? Not that it really matters, but seems absurd that they get to play a course that leads to having the top 4 golfers in a field of about 100, and those golfers aren't all top tier.

Hosts are set in advance (usually 3-5 years out....they just announced NCAA golf regional sites through like 2026 last fall....Wake is definitely hosting a Men's regional at Bermuda Run CC in the next 5 years, they may be hosting a Women's regional as well, I can't remember). If you make the field (whether that is as a highly-ranked #1 or #2 seed, or as a low-seeded, automatic qualifier from a single bid conference), and you are one of the host schools, you automatically get to play at the site where you are the host.

Worth a mention-- Mark Power finished 3-1 for GB&I in the Walker Cup. Alex Fitzpatrick was an unfortunate 0-4.

Luckily he was on the other side in this set of matches. But great that he made the team for Great Britain & Ireland.

Courses used for Regionals are set in advance. We have hosted also and I can remember working out at Salem Glen CC where our women regularly played when they were in that regional. Our men have played two different times for NCAA championships at Bermuda Run CC, once when Gary Hallberg shot lights out in the rain to win medalist but John Cook's Ohio State's team took the team honors in 1979. The other was the fabled comeback from around 16 shots down in 1986 when Kite, Andrade & Mattiace to upset Scott Verplank & Ok State to give Jesse Haddock his 3rd title. The Deacs were not even in the final grouping that day.

The LSU women's regional was just cancelled due to weather. Top 6 seeded teams and individuals advance - everyone else, your season is over; better luck next year

Oregon State was the #28 ranked team nationally, #7 in the region. Their season is over

Meh. In our regional the top six seeds are comfortably ahead of the 7th seed (Florida) who is the #27 ranked team.

The LSU women's regional was just cancelled due to weather. Top 6 seeded teams and individuals advance - everyone else, your season is over; better luck next year

Oregon State was the #28 ranked team nationally, #7 in the region. Their season is over

WOW!! cancelled.

Meh. In our regional the top six seeds are comfortably ahead of the 7th seed (Florida) who is the #27 ranked team.

where's SampleSizeDeac when you need him?

individuals also advanced based on rankings - the national 27th-ranked individual was invited to nationals, while the #28 individual, also scheduled to compete, was not

I'll go out on a limb and suggest the national rankings are not that precise, and perhaps it's a wee bit unfair to not have the competition (OSU says the course is playable today, and nationals aren't for another week)

Looks like our buffer is down to 3 strokes. Getting a bit tighter, so hold on.

Yes, I did mis-calc. Starting the day at 11, currently at 7. think that's correct. appx 9 holes to play.

You realize what you have done, right?

C'mon Rafi, you don't believe in jinxes do you? :)

In the Louisville regional, the #1 national seed South Carolina is in a one hole playoff to see if they get to go to the finals.

Our buffer is down to 7 shots, with just handful of holes left. Everyone seems to be staggering to the finish as even though the gap between WF and 7th place has shrunk, the Deacs have moved into a tie for 2nd.

Allowing teams to play on their home courses in NCAA Tournament play is garbage and should be stopped immediately.

Stanford finishes 30 shots clear of us in second, and is the only team under par (and -28 at that). Having that kind of advantage clearly affects the outcome of the competition. However, because this way of doing things likely saves the NCAA money, they will keep this system in place in spite of the competitive effect it has.

yeah I consider this as winning the regional. You got to throw out Stanford's score. The real loser is Florida.

Back