• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - WF Women Struggling In Moon Golf Invitational

What is it about Wake that just breeds chokers? It’s quite an unfortunate phenomenon.

team played the first 65 holes in +13

team played the last 7 holes in +13

this place is the Institute of Sadness

stay tuned next week for the men's results

Last edited:
As soon as Wake got to the point where they were going to be on TV, they totally fell apart. That's probably not what caused it, but unfortunately the gagging was there for the world to see. I had the coverage on in the background, and was trying to keep an eye out for when they started showing the Wake girls. I believe the first shot was Liu on the green and them saying she was putting for an 8 (spoiler alert - she missed). My initial reaction was "you gotta be kidding me - here we go..." Then it was just a succession of errant iron shots and missed 5 to 10 footers for par.

How do you make a 9 on a hole? She then bogied the next 3 holes, giving up 7 shots in 4 holes. With Kuehn playing badly, we couldn’t afford a blowup by a counting score. Going from 4 under to 3 over is what doomed the Deacs.

The entire athletic department needs a sports psychologist. A wake team playing to its seed in a national tournament is usually a source of achievement. We regularly underachieve our national ranking and hardly ever overachieve.

How do you make a 9 on a hole? She then bogied the next 3 holes, giving up 7 shots in 4 holes. With Kuehn playing badly, we couldn’t afford a blowup by a counting score. Going from 4 under to 3 over is what doomed the Deacs.

She missed the putt for an 8?

d9573f1a-83c0-4e86-b146-b233b719b4f8_screenshot.jpg

The simultaneous crash and burn from all 5 players (Lauren Walsh did manage to shoot even for the second 9, but did bogie the final hole) was almost unfathomable (a quad, three doubles and 7 bogies over the last six holes).

That said, for at least this program, yesterday's performance was way out of character. Not fair to say that they always choke. In 2019, WF closed strongly in the last round to make the match play portion as WF moved up from 9th to 5th to qualify. WF then beat #4 Arkansas in the quarters 3-2 winning two matches on the last hole. WF then smoked #8 Auburn in the semifinal. In the final lost a very close match to Duke 3-2 to finish as the national runner up. Three of those players (Liu, Migliaccio and Knecht) also played yesterday. This year, they played well on the final day to move on out of the Stanford regional. I really wish the team won the Natty this year, but the other programs are well-funded and tried hard too. Our women golfers just picked a bad time to play their worst 6 holes of the season. It sucks, but the program is in a great place.

This was just heartbreaking to see...Liu actually came back to Wake to win a national championship. I was at the ACC tournament each day and this downward trajectory started then so I was concerned going into the regionals. The strength of our team was that we had 4 girls who all had the ability on any given day to go low. I'm a big believer in our golf programs but theres no doubt we have a difficult time closing which is similar to all of our teams...its effing like we as fans are constantly teased. I believe we are in good hands with Kim as coach (I hope UNC doesn't try to hire her since they have an opening). I've spoken at length with the mom's of Emmellia and Rachael about their recruitment. Its interesting to note that most of our girls considered the same schools and the reasons they eventually selected Wake. FWIW Rachael in the beginning of her recruitment didn't have Wake in her top 3.

We all know the story with the men...lets hope Alex has a great week and we make the final 8.

This was just heartbreaking to see...Liu actually came back to Wake to win a national championship. I was at the ACC tournament each day and this downward trajectory started then so I was concerned going into the regionals. The strength of our team was that we had 4 girls who all had the ability on any given day to go low. I'm a big believer in our golf programs but theres no doubt we have a difficult time closing which is similar to all of our teams...its effing like we as fans are constantly teased. I believe we are in good hands with Kim as coach (I hope UNC doesn't try to hire her since they have an opening). I've spoken at length with the mom's of Emmellia and Rachael about their recruitment. Its interesting to note that most of our girls considered the same schools and the reasons they eventually selected Wake. FWIW Rachael in the beginning of her recruitment didn't have Wake in her top 3.

We all know the story with the men...lets hope Alex has a great week and we make the final 8.

probably ought to go ahead then and blame the women's choke job on Jerry Haas then go ahead and fire Coach Lewellen since she is obviously terrible Facepalm

Agree with Pilch that the program is in great shape...just a strange day after a really easy front 9. I do know that program funding is an issue as related to schools like Stanford, Duke and even South Carolina who has started raising money and making golf a priority. Even with the collapse yesterday if qe could have somehow made match play I liked our chances to win. If Liu were playing match play yesterday she would have had her opponent closed out after 14

Top-seed Stanford, who ran away with the individual stroke play title, bows out in the quarterfinals to 8-seed Arizona.

Top-seed Stanford, who ran away with the individual stroke play title, bows out in the quarterfinals to 8-seed Arizona.

Sports are crazy. Stanford was by far the best team in the regionals and in the 4 rounds of stroke play in the NCAA Championship. Then, the Cardinal lose to an Arizona team that they beat by 31 shots in stroke play (and also finished ahead of in the Pac 12 tournament). Arizona only qualified because multiple teams collapsed on the final holes -- not just WF; FSU's final player 3 putted from like 15 feet to allow Arizona in.

Back