• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - Women’s ACC Tournament April 18-21

Reading this post as a self admitted golf sicko is amazing. I love it.

I did when my handicap was 10 and it was strickly an all-male club . I hit the ball really well and my score was 96 !

It's a very challenging course cut out of the pine forest of central NJ. Lots of traps as well as sand waste areas off tees....some with 250-yd carries to fairways.

Here's one of many stories about Pine Valley -

Nicklaus was invited to play and he and Barbara arrived via limo. Were met by a security guard at the front gate. Limo driver announced who he had in the car and guard told him to lower rear window. Nicklaus poked his head out and stated his name. Guard checked his clip board and said...." Fine, you can come in but she cannot ". Without any hesitation, Nicklaus complied and told the limo driver to take Barbara shopping for the next several hours. Jack grabbed his clubs and jumped into a cart to the clubhouse.

:D

I was hanging out with the husband of one of my wife's close friends, conversation turns to golf. He's like, "Oh, I play a few times a year, actually I just don't enjoy it, when my dad is in town he drags me out."

Personally I love golf, work hard at it, play in tournaments, blah blah. Always appreciate getting to play nice courses when the opportunity arises. He tells me, "Actually I'm playing this weekend, supposed to be a pretty nice course but it's up in Jersey so it might just be "nice" for Jersey." I said well you never know, Jersey actually does have some nice areas. He couldn't remember the name of where he was playing, but then says "I think my Dad says it was ranked or something, like maybe even ranked #1." Half-joking I asked if he was playing Pine Valley, and he's like "Ah, yeah, that's it, Pine Valley. I don't want to wake up that early so I might just be late and miss the first few holes or whatever, my dad will be pissed but whatever."

I really had no response to that, had to change the subject.

Former Wake golfer, Katie Rudolph, is the coach for Megha Ganne, who led the women's US Open for two rounds as an amateur this past weekend. Ganne will attend Stanford this fall. Rudolph is also the coach for the NYU Violets men's and women's golf teams.

Ganne is a junior in High School. She verballed to Stanford and will be there in the Fall of 2022 (should she choose to go that route).

Think she said she’s staying all 4 years.

I was hanging out with the husband of one of my wife's close friends, conversation turns to golf. He's like, "Oh, I play a few times a year, actually I just don't enjoy it, when my dad is in town he drags me out."

Personally I love golf, work hard at it, play in tournaments, blah blah. Always appreciate getting to play nice courses when the opportunity arises. He tells me, "Actually I'm playing this weekend, supposed to be a pretty nice course but it's up in Jersey so it might just be "nice" for Jersey." I said well you never know, Jersey actually does have some nice areas. He couldn't remember the name of where he was playing, but then says "I think my Dad says it was ranked or something, like maybe even ranked #1." Half-joking I asked if he was playing Pine Valley, and he's like "Ah, yeah, that's it, Pine Valley. I don't want to wake up that early so I might just be late and miss the first few holes or whatever, my dad will be pissed but whatever."

I really had no response to that, had to change the subject.

Blasphemy!

Women's golf coach gets an extension.

Wake Forest Signs Kim Lewellen to Long-Term Contract Extension

Lewellen has coached Wake Forest to nine tournament titles in just three seasons as head coach.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Wake Forest University and nationally acclaimed Demon Deacons women’s golf head coach Kim Lewellen have agreed to a long-term contract extension, director of athletics John Currie announced Wednesday.

"Coach Kim Lewellen is a tremendous leader for Wake Forest and has done an outstanding job of recruiting, mentoring and developing student-athletes since she and her family arrived in Winston-Salem just three years ago,” Currie said. “We look forward to championships and national accomplishments from the reigning National Coach of the Year and her student-athletes in the years to come!

“Wake Forest Sports Hall of Famer and longtime coach Dianne Dailey set an incredible standard for our women’s golf program that Kim has continued to move forward in her short time in Winston-Salem.”

"I am so thankful every day to be head coach of our women’s golf team at Wake Forest," Lewellen said. “Our University has a tremendous tradition of winning championships on the golf course and providing a world class education in the classroom. I am proud to continue the legacy that Coach Dianne Dailey built with this program. I look forward to many more years and championships to come in Winston-Salem!"

In just her third season in Black and Gold, Lewellen has taken the storied Wake Forest women’s golf program to new heights, leading the Deacs to the 2019 ACC title, a runner-up finish in the NCAA Tournament and nine tournament titles during her short time in Winston-Salem. Her Demon Deacon golfers have been honored six times as all-conference team members by the ACC and have been named All-American’s seven times in three seasons.

In 2020, Lewellen was named National Coach of the Year by the Women’s Golf Coaches Association after her 2020 team finished the COVID-19 pandemic-shortened season ranked No. 1 in Golfstat’s rankings.

Lewellen came to Wake Forest in 2018 after 11 successful seasons at the University of Virginia, becoming just the fifth head women’s golf coach in Wake Forest history following the 30-year tenure of Dianne Dailey upon her retirement. Lewellen’s Cavaliers made nine NCAA champion appearances, earning bids to NCAA regionals in ten seasons while winning the ACC title twice (2014, 2015) and having her golfers earn All-American honors 12 times.

Including her stops as head coach at The Citadel and East Carolina, Lewellen’s teams have won 19 tournament titles, four conference championships and have had 25 all-conference golfers and 19 All-Americans.

A 1993 graduate of the University of North Carolina, Lewellen was a two-time All-ACC performer for the Tar Heels under her maiden name of Byham. She earned First Team All-America honors in 1993 as she won the NCAA East Regional during her senior season. In 2003, she was named to the Atlantic Coast Conference's 50th Anniversary Team.

Following her graduation, Lewellen played on the Women's European Professional Golf Tour in 1994 and 1995 and on the Future's Professional Golf Tour from 1997 to 1999. She also competed in events on the LPGA Tour from 1993 to 1997.

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to athletics-media+unsubscribe@gg.wfu.edu.

Huge fan of this move. Kim was in attendance at a Triangle alumni event shortly after she was hired and I could not have been more impressed. And obviously her coaching track record speaks for itself.

This is great news about Kim. The UNC job came open after the ACC tournament and I was worried we might lose her. She’s in the top 5 college golf coaches in the country.

Between this and Walter not being let go, it's pretty clear our boosters and Currie are perfectly fine with a total lack of postseason success (and constant underperforming squads). Unfortunate.

Deac Billy Andrade is tied for the lead at the US Senior Open after round 1. Jay Haas is 8th.

Rachel Kuehne won medalist honors at the women's amateur and got knocked out today in the first round of match play. No medalist has gone on to win the whole thing since 2008. Migliaccio won her first match after 22 holes.

I'd go so far as to say that out of any athlete in any sport at Wake right now she's my bet for having the best pro career.

I'd go so far as to say that out of any athlete in any sport at Wake right now she's my bet for having the best pro career.

Too bad she will have to compete against 100 Asian golfers every week.

Good news and bad news for WF men's golf:

Good news: WF played its first event of the NCAA 2021-22, and WF's top players from last season have returned as Alex Fitzpatrick, Mark Power, Michael Brennan and Park Gillam all played in the event (along with highly touted frosh Scotty Kenon).

Bad news: WF played like garbage finishing 13th out of 15. Here is the link: http://results.golfstat.com//public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=23418

Maybe this year, WF starts slow and finishes strong?

Back