• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - WF Women Struggling In Moon Golf Invitational

Pilchard

Reaction score
WF has started its men's golf season.

The men opened 10 days ago at the Seminole Invitational and finished 2nd out of 10 teams.

Currently, the men are in 2nd place in the 17 team Arizona Intercollegiate in Tucson. Here is the golfstat leaderboard: http://results.golfstat.com//public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=21842

When the 2020 season ended, the men were ranked #5 in the country, and the team is expected to be strong again.

The women start this weekend in Florida. When the 2020 season was called due to COVID the women were the #1 team in the country, and the team is stacked again.

Also, Will Zalatoris makes his 2021 PGA Tour debut tomorrow at the Farmer's Insurance Open (the field is stacked with Rory, Rahm, Xander among others).

Last edited:
I am pumped for golf this season. Both men and women have realistic chances to win it all, especially the ladies.

Still up pretty good (9) on back side, 6 holes to go. But leaking some air from our best position, on the last several holes played. Hang on guys.

Realize its early, but WF may have its next big time golfer in freshman Michael Brennan. In his first tourney this season, he finished fifth in the Seminole Invitational. Then, he finished 2nd in the Arizona Invitational. For his 3rd tourney, he has a 4 shot lead with two holes to play at the Kiawah Invitational. 3 Tournaments; top 5 in all 3, a second and a win against deep college fields. Crazy good for a freshman golfer.

I'm sure there's somewhere I can find this info...But were are Fitzpatrick and Power? Something overseas?

Fitzpatrick played and finished 2nd in the Jones Cup Invitational (an elite amateur event) last week. Would guess he will play in WF's next team event. Not sure about Power, but both are still on the roster. The WF men have finished 1st, 2nd and 1st in their first 3 tourneys without Fitzpatrick. When he comes back, Deacs will be tough to beat.

Deacs win the Kiawah title by 9 shots over Clemson.

Brennan wins the individual title by 5 shots over a field of 90. WF's Eric Bae finished tied for 2nd.

Brennan's 54 hole score: 67-68-65 (-16). Deacs!

Great start to the season! And we appear to have amazing depth

Fitzpatrick played and finished 2nd in the Jones Cup Invitational (an elite amateur event) last week. Would guess he will play in WF's next team event. Not sure about Power, but both are still on the roster. The WF men have finished 1st, 2nd and 1st in their first 3 tourneys without Fitzpatrick. When he comes back, Deacs will be tough to beat.

I am pretty sure that Power played in the Jones Cup as well. Not sure if those two just got a week off, or if there were some Covid protocols in play with them playing in a non-team event.

Power finished T28 with 8 over
84 players in the field.

Ladies are crushing it after two rounds of CofC tourney. lead second place ECU by 15 shots and the rest of the field (including Duke) by 20+.

All 5 Wake golfers are T6 or better on the individual leaderboard.

Freshman Michael Brennan dominating in Tiger Woods like fashion leading the Deacs to another tournament win at Pinehurst #2. Brennan has played in 4 tournaments this semester: 5th, 2nd, 1st, 1st. That doesn’t happen in golf.

ACC golfers of the month. Both from Wake. Brennan and Kuehn.

Without irrational exuberance, is it possible that we could win men’s and women’s National championships and have both individual champions all in the same year?

ACC golfers of the month. Both from Wake. Brennan and Kuehn.

Without irrational exuberance, is it possible that we could win men’s and women’s National championships and have both individual champions all in the same year?

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but other than a national championship, I'd trade an ACC tournament championship for a deep run in the NCAA's. Unfathomable that we have not won an ACC championship since 1989.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but other than a national championship, I'd trade an ACC tournament championship for a deep run in the NCAA's. Unfathomable that we have not won an ACC championship since 1989.

This might be a year to be super greedy and get all four. Men's and women's ACC Championships. Women's and Men's NCAA Championships. Add in all four individual titles as well. Sweep!

This early in the season, it certainly looks like Wake has the golfers to do this. However, it would require everybody to bring their A+ games at the right times. That doesn't often happen.

Deacs finishing up in the 11 team Valspar Collegiate. 9 teams are ranked. Looks like WF will finish 2nd to #1 FSU. The scorching Michael Brennan got a bit of reality check with an opening round 78 (Brennan is currently in 49th), but fellow Deac Mark Fitzpatrick has a 3 shot lead with one hole to go. WF frosh BJ Rogilio shot 66 in the final round for one of the low rounds of the day.

Here is a link to the live stats: http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=21886

Not really if you look further than how golf was "back in the old days'. Back in the 70's when we were running wild with 9 ACC titles in 10 years and 2 national titles back-to-back, there really weren't but about 5 schools that emphasized golf by giving schollies and we had a ton of great golfers. Even our 2nd team could beat most golf teams. Even a great golfer like Scott Hoch [Class of 78] did not play on the first team as a frosh or soph because of our strength, yet became the first Deac I believe to win back to back ACC titles when he did it in 1977 & 1978. Don't know when the scholarship limit was instituted by the NCAA but men only get 4.5 total schollies to divvy up [women get 6] and there are a ton of great golfers out there in the junior ranks these days. Plus it is not a very expensive sport to have for schools. There are 292 D1 schools listed on the site I looked that offer men's golf as a sport and the average team has 10 golfers [but only 5 travel and 4the top 4 scores count]. Teams typically divide those 4.5 scholarships between 5-7 golfers. The average D1 player shoots between 70-75 with the top programs and their players averaging 72 or lower. That is why it is tough.

Back