• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football - '21 Schedule

Yeah, the two OOC away games (Army & UNC) make it a tougher schedule than it would otherwise be.

I realize that's a comment that deserves a "no shit"... But my point is that you get to schedule your OOC and it'll suck to lose those games in a year with a favorable conference schedule.

Yeah, the two OOC away games (Army & UNC) make it a tougher schedule than it would otherwise be.

I realize that's a comment that deserves a "no shit"... But my point is that you get to schedule your OOC and it'll suck to lose those games in a year with a favorable conference schedule.

We scheduled Old Dominion & Norfolk State. Away Carolina is an exchange for the home Carolina game we got, and is an excellent OOC choice for fan interest. Army is not an outlandish pick in terms of a winnable game. I’m not sure what your core complaint is.

how many more times do we have the damn service academies on our schedule? the lamest games.

2022 Army
2023 Air Force*
2024 at Army
2025 Army
2026 at Army

*don't worry, AFA will push this off as they have done since 1999

I was at a Duke-Wake game in Winston during the Caldwell era when we both sucked and it started snowing.

Don't recall snow, but it was certainly cold enough for it to happen:
'96, Duncan's senior year. The basketball team signed autographs before the game, and of the announced crowd of 17,000, at least half of them were in line for an autograph.
After the football game, the basketball team played an intra-squad game over at the Joel.
As for the football game, it was really cold/windy, and those aluminum seats and all that concrete made it even more uncomfortable. Bridger had been torn down, so the team was in a huge black/gold tent beyond the end zone. According to Wikipedia we won 17-16, and IIRC we had a late TD to win it; maybe a Thabiti Davis TD reception.
Again not sure if this was the "snow" game, but conditions were sure ripe for it.

Generally agree with the other takes here. Good schedule, need to load up on Ws on the front end. 6-8 wins.

Am I crazy for thinking we could go 9-3 or 10-2 against this schedule?

I think we will have a good squad and really only Clemson is a probable loss. UNC will be tough. I see 8-4 with a chance at 10-2.

We might win one we shouldn't and lose one we shouldn't.

I think we will have a good squad and really only Clemson is a probable loss. UNC will be tough. I see 8-4 with a chance at 10-2.

We might win one we shouldn't and lose one we shouldn't.

I want to believe man and it looks possible on paper. But our consistent defensive woes have me really concerned until we show significant progress.

I find the lack of ACC games again FCS opponents in November disturbing

We scheduled Old Dominion & Norfolk State. Away Carolina is an exchange for the home Carolina game we got, and is an excellent OOC choice for fan interest. Army is not an outlandish pick in terms of a winnable game. I’m not sure what your core complaint is.

No complaint. Just lamenting that we have 2 OOC road games in a year where we have a pretty favorable ACC schedule.

You obviously can't get everything to line up years in advance when you don't really know the ACC schedule, and I like playing @ Army and @ UNC.

Not shying away from playing tougher teams OOC, either... It just sucks to have 6 home / 6 road when bigger programs rarely (if ever) do that.

No complaint. Just lamenting that we have 2 OOC road games in a year where we have a pretty favorable ACC schedule.

You obviously can't get everything to line up years in advance when you don't really know the ACC schedule, and I like playing @ Army and @ UNC.

Not shying away from playing tougher teams OOC, either... It just sucks to have 6 home / 6 road when bigger programs rarely (if ever) do that.

I hate this. More home games should be a priority. I don't think Wake should ever schedule a home and home with anybody unless it is a big time program. I guess uNC counts as big time since they are projected to be the best team in the history of the universe. Wake should schedule 2 for 1 or home game only for non conference. You already have trips to ND every few years.

Our home football schedule generally sucks. We play a bunch of generic ACC teams and UVA and UNC-CH only come to Wake once every 12 years. We play the same boring OOC opponents over and over: a military academy, a bad FCS team, and a cupcake. The only good thing we've done recently is the home and home with UNC-CH. It's just plain awful. And that doesn't even include complaints about the Thursday and Friday night games we always get stuck with.

And the upshot is that it's impossible to plan to attend Wake football games and expect to see an opponent you actually want to see, but they want you to buy season tickets. Schedule a home and home with Auburn.

FUTURE WAKE FOREST NON-CONFERENCE OPPONENTS
09/03 - Old Dominion
09/11 - Norfolk State
10/23 - at Army
11/06 - at North Carolina

09/01 - VMI
09/10 - at Vanderbilt
09/17 - Liberty
10/08 - Army

09/02 - Elon
09/09 - Vanderbilt
09/16 - Air Force
10/28 - at Notre Dame

08/31 - North Carolina A&T
09/14 - Ole Miss
11/16 - at Army

08/30 - at Liberty
09/06 - Western Carolina
09/13 - at Ole Miss
11/15 - Army

09/05 - Liberty
09/12 - at Purdue
09/19 - Northern Illinois
11/14 - at Army

09/11 - at East Carolina
09/18 - Tulane
TBA - Notre Dame

09/09 - Purdue
09/23 - East Carolina

TBA - at Notre Dame

TBA - at Notre Dame

TBA - Notre Dame

Understood. I didn’t get that you were highlighting the home versus away difference.

Back