• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Athletic Website

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Does anyone subscribe to the Athletic website for their sports coverage? I am thinking about giving it a shot vs paying ESPN or SI for their coverage.

Thoughts?

I think it’s worth it. Lot of soccer coverage too if you’re into that.

Does anyone subscribe to the Athletic website for their sports coverage? I am thinking about giving it a shot vs paying ESPN or SI for their coverage.

Thoughts?

I've had it for the past 3 years. I'm a Columbus Blue Jacket fan living in Raleigh so I use it primarily to follow them. The coverage is so much better and more detailed in the Athletic than what I see in the national media. I'm ashamed to say that I follow the Cincinnati Bungles as well. The coverage for them is really good too. Bottom line: if you're looking to follow an individual team in depth, the Athletic is the way to go. It's coverage of the national topics is probably as good or better than you would see on ESPN or SI. I very rarely look at those sites anymore.

Yeah it and Defector (also a subscription site) are my two for sportswriting

Certainly recommend. They’re normally running sales too. I think my current subscription is $1/month for 6 or 12 months.

Thoughts?

Yes. I'm in Baltimore and they hired the best baseball and football writes from here. There's a ton of good stuff from across all sports though.

seems like a lot of the best writers from the espn website and the SI magazine and website have migrated to the athletic website. but i've gone all in on just using the twitter social platform for all my news. and of course nothing is worse than the barstool website.

Highly recommend The Athletic. The beat coverage and long form articles are excellent.

If there are any particular writers that you've missed since ESPN and SI purged their rosters in the last few years, there's a good chance that they wound up over at The Athletic. Coverage can vary from team-to-team and market-to-market, but I rate them very highly. I've even got my friend a subscription last year so he could keep up with his teams now that he lives in California.

I also have subscribed to the Athletic. Well worth it.

If you are "out of market" for local coverage of a favorite team, you will need to pay somebody for significant coverage. The Athletic covers them all.

Thus it was easy to get Wolford/Rams stories, Hinton as Denver QB, CP3 in Phoenix etc.

Back