• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Wake Forest President — Dr Susan Wente

“After an international search...”

For some reason this just strikes me as funny. Did we reach out to the provost of the Sorbonne to see if there was any interest?

She was provost at Vanderbilt long enough for them to know they didn’t want her when they searched for a new chancellor who started last summer.

But this allows us to close the door on the Hatch/Wellman/[Redacted]/Manning era of suckitude.

“After an international search...”

For some reason this just strikes me as funny. Did we reach out to the provost of the Sorbonne to see if there was any interest?

They probably did make sure the search firm had international ties. But yeah, it’s pretty funny to have an international search and get the provost of the most similar university to Wake to replace the former provost of the next tier of universities similar to Wake.

Any news of what she wants to do?

The script usually looks like this:

First 18 months: leadership turnover and strategic planning. At the end of the strategic plan, we'll have something like 4-5 core priorities to get us to Wake 2030. They will include stuff like (1) excellence in undergrad education, (2) strengthening faculty research and (3) broadening or focusing graduate programs. There will undoubtedly be something in there about greater commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. The final piece will be something catchy - recent plans would include something like arts & culture, internationalization or entrepreneurship. Maybe online education. We'll also undoubtedly get a lot about data-based decision-making.

18-36 months: We'll launch a new capital campaign in support of the above.

36-48 months: Work on the above:

48-60 months: 5-year update to original strategic plan.

She was provost at Vanderbilt long enough for them to know they didn’t want her when they searched for a new chancellor who started last summer.

But this allows us to close the door on the Hatch/Wellman/[Redacted]/Manning era of suckitude.

Or Vandy, like Wake and many other universities, chose to select someone from outside. That seems to be a common practice. Work your way up from professor to #2 position at university A, then become president of University B.

I would like to think there would be value in promoting from within. If there is a need for an outsider's perspective, bring in outsiders to fill some of the vice president for "this and that" slots.

I look forward to submitting my proposal to Dr. Wente regarding banning "Wake Foresters" from the lexicon. She has an impressive resume. I know Wake has made a concerted effort into getting into engineering and more science-related fields lately so I wonder if selecting someone with a STEM background was a priority.

Here's some footage of her talking with Clawson and the hoops coaches:

I look forward to submitting my proposal to Dr. Wente regarding banning "Wake Foresters" from the lexicon. She has an impressive resume. I know Wake has made a concerted effort into getting into engineering and more science-related fields lately so I wonder if selecting someone with a STEM background was a priority.

I think I prefer Wake Foresters over Deactown. And I HATE Wake Foresters.

Agree that it’s nice to see someone with a STEM background.

The script usually looks like this:

First 18 months: leadership turnover and strategic planning. At the end of the strategic plan, we'll have something like 4-5 core priorities to get us to Wake 2030. They will include stuff like (1) excellence in undergrad education, (2) strengthening faculty research and (3) broadening or focusing graduate programs. There will undoubtedly be something in there about greater commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. The final piece will be something catchy - recent plans would include something like arts & culture, internationalization or entrepreneurship. Maybe online education. We'll also undoubtedly get a lot about data-based decision-making.

18-36 months: We'll launch a new capital campaign in support of the above.

36-48 months: Work on the above:

48-60 months: 5-year update to original strategic plan.

Seems plausible. I assume there will be a new program although the new AfAm Studies donation may be that program. The big question is if she will spearhead any new buildings given that Hatch did so much building.

I know Wake has made a concerted effort into getting into engineering and more science-related fields lately so I wonder if selecting someone with a STEM background was a priority.

That was something that immediately stuck out to me also.

The good news is most of her wardrobe will still work.

I second Brews’s motion of getting rid of Wake Foresters. I had a former speechwriter for hatch tell me she was told that Demon Deacons was only a nickname for athletics and student athletics and that was about the stupidest thing I ever heard on that campus. That’s just patently untrue and commonplace at every other school I’m aware of. Wellman had a similar opinion on using “Wake” instead of “Wake Forest” on scoreboards, uniforms, etc.

I think her STEM background has obvious benefits for Wake’s position in 21st Century education, and it’s consistent with recent developments on and off campus. I am a little worried about the core identity of Wake’s liberal arts philosophy remaining in place.

It doesn’t have to be an either/or. Hell, it could be both. Focus on training STEM scholars with a strong background in social sciences and humanities. Lean into the changes the MCAT made a few years back adding sociology and psychology questions.

This stuck out to me too. She was the acting chancellor of Vanderbilt, but they decided not to give her the full-time position. Have to think they know her better than we do...

Back