• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. Wente's Views on Athletics?

Lol first we got “this chick must hate sports” and then we get “me too cancel cultured the dude I wanted”

Never change you miserable fucking fanbase.

Wonder what Rogan Kersh is thinking this morning. Seems like he was the guy in waiting. Did he piss someone off or a casualty of MeToo movement?

What an absurd post

Wonder what Rogan Kersh is thinking this morning. Seems like he was the guy in waiting. Did he piss someone off or a casualty of MeToo movement?

Or maybe (I know this is pretty unbelievable) she just presented as the better candidate as they moved brought process.

I know. That’s crazy talk.

just forwarded a leaked DM from her and it says her two top priorities are selling the football team and letting male administrators go sorry guys it looks like yr worst fears have come true

Yup. The only reason that a woman would be picked over a man is if he was “cancelled” by society.

Straight up LOWF move to pass over your own provost so you can hire the provost from Vanderbilt. Has a WFU administrator ever left Wake Forest for a job at a more prestigious or similarly prestigious school ?

Straight up LOWF move to pass over your own provost so you can hire the provost from Vanderbilt. Has a WFU administrator ever left Wake Forest for a job at a more prestigious or similarly prestigious school ?

This could be the dumbest post on this thread. Congrats. Not an easy feat.

Wake previous provost, Jill Tiefenthaler, was hired away from Wake to be the president of Colorado College (#24 US News Liberal Arts college). After 9 years there she left to become the CEO of National Geographic.

Can she fix the "culture problem" the football team has?

Wake previous provost, Jill Tiefenthaler, was hired away from Wake to be the president of Colorado College (#24 US News Liberal Arts college). After 9 years there she left to become the CEO of National Geographic.

e46152b383e619869ef7d6f29484267b.gif

I changed the title of the thread to soften it a little bit, but that doesn't change the fact that I had three friends who graduated from Vanderbilt and have remained supporters of the university text me and tell me that Wente is not pro-athletics. Maybe they are just looking for a scapegoat for the fact that their athletic department is in pretty dismal shape despite their huge SEC TV income. They were pretty visceral about her though.
not worried about this with Currie at the helm

i think the second point is valid (i assume it's true), but also seems very directly contradictory with the first point. not having an established track record of strong administrators seems exactly why you would opt for an outside hire over an internal promotion.

hopefully we get to the point where other schools are trying to poach from us and we can hire more internally in the future.

Last edited:
Given that Mit Shah and Ben Sutton were quite involved in this hiring, I might wait before we decide who Wente is.

We’ve gone from “she must suck if Vandy didn’t hire her” to “why didn’t Wake hire our guy?”

Hearn came from UAB, Hatch came from ND.

Going back further. Scales came from Ok State. Tribble came from Andover Newton Theological School.

Kitchin was the last internal hire back in 1930. So nice work, Biff, ignoring 90 years of precedent and just how it works for private schools just because his boy didn’t get bumped up in favor of a woman.

Kersh is not "my boy." Personally, I learned in college not to trust college administrators.

Biff is just (effectively) trolling. That's why his posts all contradict themselves

do you think there are a section of alumni at every university who believe their high-ranking athletics leaders are anti-academics

Back