• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. Wente's Views on Athletics?

Between his own salary, the wasted $$'s he spent on [Redacted] and Manning, the "coach for life" contract for Grobe, and all of the associated buyouts, that man wasted a shit ton of millions of $$.

Seeing those figures it makes you think of all the wake athletic contributions that went down the drain based on the really bad decisions of a few knuckleheads.

Just thought I would put this in here... I'm not sure when this 990 came out, but I don't think I have seen these salaries before (for 7/2018 to 6/2019):

Wellman 3,025,000
Hatch 1,990,000
Clawson 2,250,000
Manning 2,125,000

any idea as to whether Wellman's comp included a balloon payment of some sort, similar to Hatch from a few years ago?

We're going to save a lot of money when we go NAIA in a few years.

Just thought I would put this in here... I'm not sure when this 990 came out, but I don't think I have seen these salaries before (for 7/2018 to 6/2019):

Wellman 3,025,000
Hatch 1,990,000
Clawson 2,250,000
Manning 2,125,000

I find it extremely hard to believe that our AD was paid 50% more than the president.

Seeing those figures it makes you think of all the wake athletic contributions that went down the drain based on the really bad decisions of a few knuckleheads.

Yep. That’s what happens when you trust Wellman with your money.

Maybe we paid him a lifetime bonus to go the fuck away that year.

Just staggering to contemplate the return WF got on the investment in Wellman's salary. I am prepared to believe he played a key role in keeping WF in the ACC during realignment, and if so he gets full credit for that. I am hard-pressed to find much else to praise about the balance of his tenure as AD.

Between his own salary, the wasted $$'s he spent on [Redacted] and Manning, the "coach for life" contract for Grobe, and all of the associated buyouts, that man wasted a shit ton of millions of $$.

Exactly. Remember how long he spent trying to get the "coach for life" to stay, giving up everything to him and he was one who would not part with any single coach on his staff no matter how lazy they were [and there were plenty who did not recruit at all]. Then he himself disappeared to the golf course his final few years. Then the AD himself, while making it a huge point to other coaches he did not hire, firing a baseball coach who had 3 ACC titles when he had his first losing season, yet could NOT pull the trigger on his own bad hires [Rem & Walter, Bz & Manning] who had multiple losing seasons.

Just staggering to contemplate the return WF got on the investment in Wellman's salary. I am prepared to believe he played a key role in keeping WF in the ACC during realignment, and if so he gets full credit for that. I am hard-pressed to find much else to praise about the balance of his tenure as AD.

Perhaps, but no ACC teams were kicked to the curb. In fact, in all of the conference realignment, no teams were tossed out of any conference that remained in existence, despite predictions that it was inevitable.

Certain Big East football teams (VT, Miami, Rutgers, Pitt, BC, WV) were poached to the point where the conference became non-viable for football which ended up screwing UCONN and to a lesser extent Cincy and USF, but don't think there has been a case of a Power V conference expelling a member. So, it seems a little LOWF to credit Wellman for "keeping WF in the ACC" when its not clear there was ever a threat to expel WF (or Vandy or NW or Stanford or any other smaller private school from their conference). The fact is that academically oriented private schools are good for Power Conferences because: a) they help the academic profile, b) they often help mediate and resolve issues disputes when major conference issues arise (this is what was understood Wellman's role during the expansion process as WF could be counted on promoting a decision that was good for the conference as a whole and not just one school); c) the power programs schools need opponents that they will in the long run beat more than they lose to (people talk about a future super-conference with only the mega powers, but the super-power schools don't want this; they want to go 13-0; 12-1; 11-2; they don't want to look like the NFL where an 8-4 record is a good year. Bama, Clemson, tOSU only want to play each other if its for the Natty; not in the regular season.

I understand that it has been a background fear of the ACC kicking out WF, but am unaware of any movement by UNC, Clemson or any other ACC member to get rid of WF.

Last edited:
Is the ACC actually viable for football though ? It's like Gonzaga basketball playing in the WCC and pointing to Santa Clara as some serious ass competition.

I understand that it has been a background fear of the ACC kicking out WF, but am unaware of any movement by UNC, Clemson or any other ACC member to get rid of WF.

I don't think any school is going to kick Wake out of the ACC. Long-term, I think Wake and a few others may be left in a shell of a conference still called the ACC. Can't happen? I wouldn't be so sure of that bet.

Wellman 3,025,000
Hatch 1,990,000
Clawson 2,250,000
Manning 2,125,000

Something similar happened with Hatch a couple years ago that made him the highest or one of the highest compensated university presidents that year. Of Wellman’s 3+ million, 2+ million had been reported on prior 990s. The most likely reason is that a SERP (some kind of deferred comp) that was earned and reported in prior years fully vested during this reporting period. That said, paying Wellman 1+ million/year after the Name Redacted and Manning disasters is criminal in and of itself.

Is the ACC actually viable for football though ? It's like Gonzaga basketball playing in the WCC and pointing to Santa Clara as some serious ass competition.

That is more true than anybody wants to admit on here. All the ACC is as far as football is Clemson, Clemson & more Clemson as far as having a team on the national scene. The league is still waiting on the promise of Miami to take hold from the other division and also for the supposed "huge" FSU-Miami rivalry to come into prominence. The Tigs run roughshod all season, get to play their 2nd & 3rd teams all second half, thus insuring they build great depth each season. We get one team in the CFP to make our money and maybe a couple other teams on the periphery of the Top 20.

The ACC isn't the only league that has one program that's dramatically better than the others - Big Ten has a very similar dynamic with tOSU.

Could've sworn the ACC was the only league with two teams that made the BCS playoff this past season...

Also, tell me when someone other than Oklahoma made the BCS playoff or anyone from the Pac 12 at all.

Also, the ACC is the only league to ever go 0-2 in a single CFP.

Also, the ACC is the only league to ever go 0-2 in a single CFP.

Pretty hard for the Pac 12 or Big 12 to accomplish that feat since they have never had two teams get an invite. Funny how SEC shills feel so threatened by the basketball centric ACC....

Why doesn't the SEC just play their own 4 team playoff and leave it at that? Bama will win 7 out of every 8 years, with LSU picking up a rare win. Such amazing conference balance.

Hilarious how fans of crap programs like S. Carolina disappoint every year, but grasp to claim college football relevance, by jumping on Bama's back and claiming SEC superiority, when they had nothing to do with the SEC's (i.e., Bama's) success.

Last edited:
Back