• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. Wente's Views on Athletics?

Could've sworn the ACC was the only league with two teams that made the BCS playoff this past season...

Also, tell me when someone other than Oklahoma made the BCS playoff or anyone from the Pac 12 at all.

One of those teams was a "one time only" deal in the ACC. Now they don't count. Plus we went 0-2 in the CFP & 0-fer the football postseason

The ACC isn't the only league that has one program that's dramatically better than the others - Big Ten has a very similar dynamic with tOSU.

That is certainly true. It is getting awfully hard for any of us to compete with the mighty SEC. Probably can take a look at the total dominance of numbers drafted after the NFL draft is over to see that as usual. First round numbers were SEC 12, Big Ten 7, ACC 6, Pac-12 3 & Big 12 a resounding 0.

Based on the communications from the university over the last year, I 100% expected either a female or a minority, and didn't have a problem with it being either. In fact don't know how they could have defended going the white male route had they one so, given that there are plenty of qualified candidates who would be considered "best fit" under the current climate. .

I suggested Condileeza (sp?) Rice to the committee. I don't think they approached her, but no one could argue she's anti-college athletics.

Rice is 66. She was Provost at Stanford 22 years ago. I don’t think she’s done any college administration since. I doubt she’d be interested.

Rice is 66. She was Provost at Stanford 22 years ago. I don’t think she’s done any college administration since. I doubt she’d be interested.

She became head of the Hoover Institute at Stanford last year.

She might have been a possibility when Hatch was chosen, but she was a little busy with those Secretary of State duties.

One of our lunch buddies was in attendance last Thursday up in Blowing Rock at a "meet & greet" for Wake Forest folks with Dr Susan Wente. He said it went very well and she has great personality [something Dr Hatch was sorely lacking], likes her athletics and is also looking to take Wake Forest further into the research forefront by using the Innovation & Medical center. I think this seems to bode well for us.

Back