• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. Wente's Views on Athletics?

Brangus

Reaction score
I have heard from Vanderbilt alumni I know personally and have read on Twitter that our incoming president is not particularly fond of athletics. She sees athletics as a "distraction from the academic mission."

Anyone hearing similar comments? Or hopefully, comments to the contrary?

Last edited:
Is it possible that there is a section of alumni at every university that believes their high ranking academic leaders are anti-athletics?

Is it possible that there is a section of alumni at every university that believes their high ranking academic leaders are anti-athletics?

Especially when your major sports teams suck as much as Vanderbilt.

Yes. They probably think they’d be competing for national championships if not for the nerds holding them back. Especially in the SEC.

Right when the announcement was circulated I literally typed up a thread I called "PRESIDENT WENTE HATES COLLEGE ATHLETICS".

Then I erased it because I briefly forgot that some of our fans are absolute morons. Jesus Christ, brangus, get a grip

I have heard from Vanderbilt alumni I know personally and have read on Twitter that our incoming president is not particularly fond of athletics. She sees athletics as a "distraction from the academic mission."

Anyone hearing similar comments? Or hopefully, comments to the contrary?

The intro video had scenes with her taking photos with Currie, Clawson, and the hoops coaches. I think we'll be ok.

I'm not an expert on being a president of an university, but I suspect every University President knows that athletics is a major draw for alums to stay involved.

and to jack up application numbers, which is critical to maintaining the bullshit USN&WR rankings.

Didn’t Vanderbilt at one times do something weird like eliminate their AD position and have all athletics report into a dean??
Not sure exactly or I’d they recommitted to having an AD..

Dr. Wente served as the Vanderbilt faculty athletics representative for the Southeastern Conference and NCAA. In my experience, people in those types of positions are typically very supportive of and interested in college athletics.

Dr. Wente served as the Vanderbilt faculty athletics representative for the Southeastern Conference and NCAA. In my experience, people in those types of positions are typically very supportive of and interested in college athletics.

Did a bang-up job for their football team too.

College baseball is unimportant except for in the SEC where it obviously means more. Take a look at the absolute shambles that the rest of that athletics department is in. It’s an absolute disgrace and every alum and administrator should be ashamed but they’re not.

The fact she was OK with hiring a big ticket coach like Stack shows she's willing to take a shot.

This means at Vanderbilt will be joining the ACC in all sports except football.

I had no idea. Yeah, nobody would ever take this position unless they were really, unreasonably supportive of college athletics.

I changed the title of the thread to soften it a little bit, but that doesn't change the fact that I had three friends who graduated from Vanderbilt and have remained supporters of the university text me and tell me that Wente is not pro-athletics. Maybe they are just looking for a scapegoat for the fact that their athletic department is in pretty dismal shape despite their huge SEC TV income. They were pretty visceral about her though.

Well, it really is all going to depend if she is willing to shell out the money for Kevin Steele to be our new D-Coordinator. No better way to let us know she thinks athletics are important.

Wonder what Rogan Kersh is thinking this morning. Seems like he was the guy in waiting. Did he piss someone off or a casualty of MeToo movement?

Back