• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. Wente's Views on Athletics?

Dr. Wente was vetted by a diverse search committee on athletics and all the other major issues.

She would not be wise to spend time picking a fight with alums or competent coaches by micromanaging or harming our effectiveness in fielding teams.

She has plenty on her plate: the Wake /Charlotte medical expansion, Wake Downtown, Being an Economic Development catalyst in Winston and the state, COVID-19, Fundraising, Diversity, and keeping us in the top 30 rankings. She should set the ethical tone at the top for athletics and hold Currie accountable to run a clean and successful overall program.

I wish her every success and am excited about her bio and credentials.

Last edited:
With everything that's on her plate, I wouldn't be surprised to be mostly hands off with Currie.

This simply isn't true. There are plenty of figurehead presidents with connections and fundraising moxy that don't manage the day-to-day ACADEMICS like a president at Wake does. This is not a criticism. Just a reality. Plenty of university presidents would make much different decisions regarding academics/athletics than happens at Wake. Glad we prioritize academics. Still worth a discussion.

We're not quite on the same page here. I was responding specifically to your distinction between academic- and business-oriented University presidents. Presidents are always going to need to be gladhanders and fundraisers in addition to managing gigantic operations that include research, facilities, athletics, development, community engagement, strategic planning, etc. That's why provosts exist: they are the chief academic officers.

My point was that the business-types that you suggested take a hands-off approach to academics dont really exist because their strategic planning, literally what they are trained for, is slashing budgets and promoting efficiency which tend to conflict with the status quo operation of most universities

Well, the provost at Wake was passed over in favor of the provost at Vandy. He knows that his shot at the top job at his alma mater has passed. I don't know if he wanted the job or if they considered him for it. But assuming he wanted the job, he has to do a little personal accounting.

Sorry for this guy, but it is also uncommon for academic institutions to hire high level administrators from with in. Or at least it is very common to hire from the outside. Academics believe that a diversity of training and thinking is healthy within an academic institution and thus rarely hire faculty from their own PhD programs and often hire deans and administrators from outside their university.

Sorry for this guy, but it is also uncommon for academic institutions to hire high level administrators from with in. Or at least it is very common to hire from the outside. Academics believe that a diversity of training and thinking is healthy within an academic institution and thus rarely hire faculty from their own PhD programs and often hire deans and administrators from outside their university.

The chances of a white guy getting hired under the current political/social environment were about the same as a home security ad showing a person of color breaking into a house.

It’s so hard out there for white guys. 30% of the population but they only make up like 60% of college presidents. So oppressed.

It’s pathetic how so many white guys get offended if an organization dares to find the most qualified person instead of the most qualified white guy.

Nice, we've got both "this hire is the result of cancel culture" and "white men are oppressed" all in one thread. What a race to the bottom this turned into.

The chances of a white guy getting hired under the current political/social environment were about the same as a home security ad showing a person of color breaking into a house.

CANCEL CULTURE!!!!

It’s so hard out there for white guys. 30% of the population but they only make up like 60% of college presidents. So oppressed.

It’s pathetic how so many white guys get offended if an organization dares to find the most qualified person instead of the most qualified white guy.

Well now i am unofficially officially offended by this statement.

Talk about racist...WOW!!!

Based on the communications from the university over the last year, I 100% expected either a female or a minority, and didn't have a problem with it being either. In fact don't know how they could have defended going the white male route had they one so, given that there are plenty of qualified candidates who would be considered "best fit" under the current climate. .

So what was it that made you know it wouldn’t be a white guy? Communications from the University or the current social and political climate? All the universities I listed above seemed to have no problem hiring a white guy as President in the last 12 months.

I mean, some people out there are complaining that Biden didn't bother to get an Asian American on his cabinet, like he failed or something. And he's got more women in the cabinet than any President ever.

Based on the communications from the university over the last year, I 100% expected either a female or a minority, and didn't have a problem with it being either. In fact don't know how they could have defended going the white male route had they one so, given that there are plenty of qualified candidates who would be considered "best fit" under the current climate. .

You doubled down on your racism with the comment about home security.

You can't dance away from making the most racist post post of 2021 on these boards.

Just thought I would put this in here... I'm not sure when this 990 came out, but I don't think I have seen these salaries before (for 7/2018 to 6/2019):

Wellman 3,025,000
Hatch 1,990,000
Clawson 2,250,000
Manning 2,125,000

Just thought I would put this in here... I'm not sure when this 990 came out, but I don't think I have seen these salaries before (for 7/2018 to 6/2019):

Wellman 3,025,000
Hatch 1,990,000
Clawson 2,250,000
Manning 2,125,000

Wow. Wellman was the highest paid WF employee? Would be curious to know how many ADs make more than their football and basketball coach; would guess not many. Also, I thought Manning would've been the most overpaid WF employee. Was wrong on that front.

Back