• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at the Irish: EARLY START Tuesday -- 5 pm ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
The pesky Deacs look for their first road win of the season tomorrow when they invade frigid South Bend to challenge Notre Dame. Here is the take on the Irish:

This season: Another disappointing season for Mike Brey (Brey has now spent 20 years as the ND head coach and had some great ACC teams from 2015 to 2017, including an ACC title, but ND has not made the NCAAs in 4 years, and ND is 16-31 in the ACC over the last 3 seasons). This year, ND sits at 6-9 (3-6) #69 in KP. ND has 3 top 100 wins (#51 KY by 1, #95 BC by 10 and #85 Pitt by 26 on Saturday). ND has won 3 of their last 4 with two of those wins coming against the same struggling ACC teams that WF just beat #121 Miami and #85 Pitt. Saturday's win over Pitt was, by far, ND's best game of the year as the Irish shot a blistering 54% from 3 and 58% from 2, while holding the Panthers to 31% from the field. ND plays at GT and at Duke after WF.

The lineup:

In the win over Pitt ND started:

6-3 Jr. Prentiss Hubb: 3 year starter; has been hot lately 16-29 from 3 over the last 4 games; leader in minutes, points, 3s made, assists and TOs (8 to 5 Assist to TO ratio)
6-5 Jr. Trey Wertz: Santa Clara transfer; missed a bunch of games early; erratic scorer; scored 27 against Purdue; only scored in double figure only one other time; 39% from 3
6-6 Jr. Dane Goodman: shooter; 40% from 3; 85% from the line; not super athletic or a great defender
6-10 Jr. Nate Laszewski: tough matchup; big man that is shooting 52% from 3; had 28 in a loss to UVA; leading rebounder; not a shot blocker
6-11 Sr. Juwan Durham: UCONN transfer; thought he would have a better career; inconsistent, but has been better lately; double figures in 4 of the last 5; primary shot blocker on the roster; no threat from 3

Off the bench, the Irish primarily utilize:

6-5 Jr. Cormac Ryan: Stanford transfer; coming off his best game of the season; 19 points (5 of 6 from 3) against Pitt; leader in steals; 35% from 3; 87% from the line
6-8 Sr. Nikola Djogo: from Canada; not a scorer; to the extent anyone on ND plays D; he would be the one

Analytics: ND is one of the biggest (#13) most experienced (#51) teams in the country. They also have little depth (#339 in bench minutes). Like every Mike Brey team, they are better on offense (#7 in the ACC) than on defense (#10). On offense, ND doesn't turn it over (#2 in the ACC in TO%), they rely on the 3 point shot (#4 in the ACC in 3 PT% 37%' #5 in the ACC in percentage of offense from 3s). They do not offensive rebound (DFL in the ACC), and they are #13 in the ACC in the amount of offense coming from 2 point shots. Defense is just not emphasized at ND, and ND typically doesn't recruit elite defensive players. ND does NOT pressure the ball (DFL in defensive TO %, DFL in steal %), and as a result, they don't foul much (1st in the ACC in defensive FTA per FGA). Because of ND's size and lack of ball pressure, ND is solid at defending the paint (#2 in the ACC in 2 PT FG% defense). ND plays at a slow tempo (65 possessions per game in ACC play) as among ACC teams, only UVA is slower.

Bottom line: KP projects a 75-69 ND win (67 possessions). Despite ND's size, this is a decent matchup for WF. ND doesn't pressure the ball. ND doesn't offensive rebound. This game will likely comedown to how well WF defends the 3 (ND has been hot lately) and how WF shoots the 3 as ND will give WF open looks. Like the fact that the Irish are coming off an epic shooting performance as typically teams bounce after shooting lights out. OTOH, this game is big for ND as they will be significant dogs in their next two, and the Irish are only 3-6 in the conference. Laszewski is a match up issue for WF as he is 6-10, but is an elite shooter. Looks like the game will be low scoring and tight. Give the Irish an edge, but WF is competitive every night, and it's only a matter of time before Coach Forbes grabs his first ACC road win.

Last edited:
Not as bad as GT Louisville playing in less than 2 hours on a Monday...

I really wanted us to get Nate Laszewski. Seems like he's coming into his own this year.

Why the fuck are we playing at 5 pm on a weekday

So UNC and Clemson can play at 7 and FSU and BC can play at 9 on ACC Network.

There are 8 weekday games. One is on ESPN (Duke-Miami tonight at 7) and one is on RSN (VT-Pitt). That's the only game that's on the same time as one of the six ACCN games. ACC basketball is barely on ESPN/ESPN2 except for UNC, Duke, and UVa.

GT and Louisville are playing at 2:00 pm today. I assume that's because Louisville is traveling to Cuse to play Wednesday night.

Agreed on Laszewski... He was one I had hoped to land a few years back.

Feels like this is a good opportunity for a road win, but we'll have to play with energy for a full 40 minutes (something that hasn't happened on the road yet this year).

I really wanted us to get Nate Laszewski. Seems like he's coming into his own this year.

So UNC and Clemson can play at 7 and FSU and BC can play at 9 on ACC Network.

There are 8 weekday games. One is on ESPN (Duke-Miami tonight at 7) and one is on RSN (VT-Pitt). That's the only game that's on the same time as one of the six ACCN games. ACC basketball is barely on ESPN/ESPN2 except for UNC, Duke, and UVa.

GT and Louisville are playing at 2:00 pm today. I assume that's because Louisville is traveling to Cuse to play Wednesday night.

Yep, same thing is happening next Tuesday (4:30/6:30/8:30pm tripleheader on ACCN), as well as Wed 2/17 and Wed 2/24. All these games that the ACC Network lost due to COVID postponements earlier in the season are going to be made up with tripleheaders (plus, now that the NBA and NHL are back, there are fewer spots available to broadcast on the RSN stations during the week). The more games they show on the network, the more UVA/VTech/Pitt/BC fans in the Comcast region will complain that they still don't have the network on their cable system (it was no coincidence that 9 of 11 UVA FB games and 7 of 11 VT FB games were broadcast on the ACC Network this past season).

If 7 games during the week are played, you will see one on ESPN's Big Monday at 7pm, maybe one other ESPN/2 game during the week, and then 3-5 ACC Network games, and 1-2 RSN games. The ACC doesn't even play on Thursdays anymore (the men's hoops teams, that is....ACCN usually shows a WBB DH on Thursday night).

We've been playing better of late. We could steal this one.

ND looked pretty good last time out. Road win to start a win streak would be huge.

As always, thanks Pilch for your pre-game write ups.
You have a real future in this.....

I think the 5pm start helps us. As Forbes has stated, later starts on the road mean you just sit around all day waiting for the game... Not ideal.

Get the game going and over with and then back to Wake at a non-ridiculous hour afterwards.

9 pm midweek ACC basketball blows. I'd rather watch a game during happy hour so I can have a few brewskis during. I'm not cracking cold boys after 9 pm on a Tuesday.

Alright. Seems odd that a "beer and titties" guy can't handle a beer or few after 9PM.

;)

Over / under on the # of times The Packer & Durham show advertisement airs during our game on YouTube TV?

Forbes goal each game should be to keep the total # of turnovers under the amount of airings. That thing plays all the time. More times than not there are multiple airings during the same commercial break.

I guess I'll watch the first half at the office, then race home at halftime for the second half.

Back