• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at the Irish: EARLY START Tuesday -- 5 pm ACCN

What Forbes said is exactly what a coach trying to build a winning program should say. Maybe we haven't seen the issues he is talking about because we aren't as involved with them day to day like Forbes is. Or maybe he is exaggerating them to get his team's attention, to make it clear that he won't tolerate that in his program. Kind of "nipping it in the bud".

I'm not trying to be a dick but c'mon. Pitt has the leading scorer and the leading assist guys in the ACC.

A depleted Miami, ok. BC, ok. If we had Simms he'd immediately be our best player. 3 Pitt players would probably start for us. 2 or 3 players from Syracuse would start for us.

So we beat Miami and are ahead of BC. Sounds about right.

That's fine. I don't think we're that far apart on our thinking. And I get that I'm probably being optimistic.

Pitt has Champagnie. They also have zero Top 100 recruits on their roster. Johnson is a good player, too.
Cuse has 1 Top 100 recruit (Richmond - FR)... They also play about 6 guys total.
Clemson has 1 Top 100 recruit (Hall - FR). Simms is good.

I just don't think the expectation should be that we finish in dead last and win 3-4 ACC games.

But I can admit that even if we finish 2-16, the future is rosier than it has been in quite some time.

I mean our team is comprised primarily of guys who would be role players on mid to lower level ACC teams. This is one of the least talented wake teams I can remember in a long long time

Along those lines, for decades this board seems to pick out a player or two each year (regardless of how the team is playing) to attack if the bubble they blow with their gum isn't a perfect circle.

That's OK. There is always one poster there to staunchly defend that player and claim that every bad pass, blown defensive assignment and turnover is the fault of the coach for playing that player out of position. Why, if the dumb coach would just move this player to the wing, he would be an All-ACC player and then all the critics would have to SHUT UP!!!!!

The defensive effort against ND was poor. There are no excuses for a lack of effort. Defense must be a constant for this team to win. Executing the offense as designed needs to be a constant but is often abandoned, as yesterday's performance demonstrated. The only dependable player on offense is Williamson. Everyone else is a crap shoot. Forbes uses a 10 man rotation in effort to find the four players to join Williamson.

I think the problems this team faces were exacerbated by the dominance of the ND low post players. They eliminated easy baskets and turned FG attempts into turnovers. That dominance allowed the perimeter defenders the freedom to extend the defense and gamble, knowing that the big guys would eliminated any drives to the hoop. On offense ND had the luxury of throwing the ball down low for easy baskets.

It's tough to keep playing hard when you are being dominated. After ND made the early second half run the Deacs quit. I believe Forbes was surprised, disappointed and angry to see that response in the 13th game of the season and he called his team out in the post game interview. They earned it. Today it will be back to the drawing board and to the fundamentals of GGTT. This is a work in progress and we get to watch. When was the last time a Wake BB team showed progress during the course of a season?

Wake has two ACC wins... Miami and Pitt.

Miami has wins over Louisville, Duke, NCSU, and Purdue
Pittsburgh has wins over Virginia Tech, Duke, Syracuse (2x), and Miami

We should absolutely break through with a win against an ACC team that doesn't totally suck.

While it was not a good effort, ND played really well. Ryan killed us and their post presence was the difference. We have a decent 3 headed post but all three have to get significantly better. Ody and Oklmo are smart kids with motors so I expect them to improve significantly. ND chose not to double - that was the game.

We also missed a bunch of 3 and 4 foot shots. Maybe it was due to their post presence but some ere shots a college player should make.

The team obviously didn't think through the fact that having a week before the next game was not the time to lay a turd.

Lots of reasons for this result but, for me, the key is that I can see when we are not executing the coaches offense and defense. The last 10 years was a combination of no plan or if there was a plan the players ignoring the plan with no consequence.

Back