Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 249

Thread: Cancel Culture

  1. #81
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,785
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeBored View Post
    No two are identical
    I laughed.

  2. #82
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeBored View Post
    You misunderstand me. I'm saying that if a court were to interpret Twitter's terms of service--as a court would be called upon to do if the Daily Citizen sued--it would conclude that the Daily Citizen did not violate them.
    Courts have no position in general rules of a private company that don't state or federal law. Thus, this would never get to court. Your position has no merit.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Courts have no position in general rules of a private company that don't state or federal law. Thus, this would never get to court. Your position has no merit.
    Depending on the state law at issue, there are several theories the Daily Citizen could sue under, including but not limited to:

    (1) defamation (on the theory that Twitter's act of excluding them constitutes an implied publication of the communication that they are harassers),
    (2) breach of contract (TOS),
    (3) unfair trade practices,
    (4) violation of section 1983 (on the theory that Twitter is a state actor for reasons I've discussed and they violated the (a) First Amendment (speech and religion), (b) the Fourth Amendment (unreasonable seizure of the Twitter account), (c) the Equal Protection Clause (religious classification or class of one), and (d) the Due Process Clause (depending on the procedures Twitter gave them before suspending the account)), and
    (5) violation of section 2000a (on the theory that Twitter is a place of public accommodation and they discriminated against the Daily Citizen on the basis of religion).

    Some of those are stronger than others, but those are the first few that come to mind. There are probably more.

  4. #84
    Dickie Hemric
    sailordeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Liver than you'll ever be
    Posts
    13,892
    Twitter is cynically betting that they are rich enough to out lawyer anyone who might potentially want to sue them, and that the dem controlled government will do nothing.

  5. #85
    the people getting banned on Twitter aren't getting banned for saying they love Trump. they're getting banned for saying assholish, potentially evil shit. don't do that and we don't have a problem. you can disagree with Biden or whatever, just, you know, don't do it in a way where you're talking about Sidney Powell leading military tribunals where Biden will be executed.

  6. #86
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeBored View Post
    Depending on the state law at issue, there are several theories the Daily Citizen could sue under, including but not limited to:

    (1) defamation (on the theory that Twitter's act of excluding them constitutes an implied publication of the communication that they are harassers),
    (2) breach of contract (TOS),
    (3) unfair trade practices,
    (4) violation of section 1983 (on the theory that Twitter is a state actor for reasons I've discussed and they violated the (a) First Amendment (speech and religion), (b) the Fourth Amendment (unreasonable seizure of the Twitter account), (c) the Equal Protection Clause (religious classification or class of one), and (d) the Due Process Clause (depending on the procedures Twitter gave them before suspending the account)), and
    (5) violation of section 2000a (on the theory that Twitter is a place of public accommodation and they discriminated against the Daily Citizen on the basis of religion).

    Some of those are stronger than others, but those are the first few that come to mind. There are probably more.
    You'd be laughed out of court on all of those. The concept that Twitter is "state actor" makes as much sense as Qanon.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    the people getting banned on Twitter aren't getting banned for saying they love Trump. they're getting banned for saying assholish, potentially evil shit. don't do that and we don't have a problem. you can disagree with Biden or whatever, just, you know, don't do it in a way where you're talking about Sidney Powell leading military tribunals where Biden will be executed.
    "But I've been saying this stuff my whole life! Now they won't let me tweet it! Cancel culture!"

  8. #88
    Dickie Hemric
    sailordeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Liver than you'll ever be
    Posts
    13,892
    The level of self-deception necessary to remain a lube in good standing is very impressive. And so is the irresistible urge constantly to reassure fellow travelers.

  9. #89

  10. #90
    jesus christ the cancel culture has spread to newsmax
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  11. #91
    And I thought the WAR! on Christmas was devastating.

  12. #92
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by deaconson View Post
    And I thought the WAR! on Christmas was devastating.

  13. #93
    Scooter Banks

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    8,944
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeBored View Post
    Depending on the state law at issue, there are several theories the Daily Citizen could sue under, including but not limited to:

    (1) defamation (on the theory that Twitter's act of excluding them constitutes an implied publication of the communication that they are harassers),
    (2) breach of contract (TOS),
    (3) unfair trade practices,
    (4) violation of section 1983 (on the theory that Twitter is a state actor for reasons I've discussed and they violated the (a) First Amendment (speech and religion), (b) the Fourth Amendment (unreasonable seizure of the Twitter account), (c) the Equal Protection Clause (religious classification or class of one), and (d) the Due Process Clause (depending on the procedures Twitter gave them before suspending the account)), and
    (5) violation of section 2000a (on the theory that Twitter is a place of public accommodation and they discriminated against the Daily Citizen on the basis of religion).

    Some of those are stronger than others, but those are the first few that come to mind. There are probably more.
    This is embarrassing for you. You should stop now.

  14. #94
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooshmoo View Post
    This is embarrassing for you. You should stop now.
    But he drove by a Holiday Inn Express this morning.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by deaconson View Post
    And I thought the WAR! on Christmas was devastating.
    Trump tried to tell us what would happen if we "elected" Sleepy Joe Biden!

  16. #96

  17. #97
    Newsmax had the MyPillow guy on to discuss being cancelled. Instead he wanted to talk about voting machines. Newsmax (!) cancelled him out


  18. #98
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,785
    I didn’t watch it before. That was a mistake. It’s worth the two minutes.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    the people getting banned on Twitter aren't getting banned for saying they love Trump. they're getting banned for saying assholish, potentially evil shit. don't do that and we don't have a problem. you can disagree with Biden or whatever, just, you know, don't do it in a way where you're talking about Sidney Powell leading military tribunals where Biden will be executed.
    This. I have yet to see any real pattern of conservative free speech being suppressed. People's accounts aren't being permanently or temporarily deleted because they post that they love Donald Trump or hate Joe Biden, they're being deleted for the most part for posting false information such as that the election was stolen or there was massive vote fraud or the insurrection was an Antifa hoax operation or some such shit. Or they're posting racist, misogynist, or bigoted crap, or threatening people. There's no requirement that private companies have to allow any of that, especially if it violates their user's agreement that people sign before using the site.

    Also, I get the distinct impression that many of these conservatives are going nuts over their accounts being deleted not because they feel their right to "free speech" is being violated or because they're upset at cancel culture, they're upset because their ability to gain attention via spreading conspiracy theories and stirring up their followers is being cut off, and they'll lose that sweet cash flow coming in from the rubes. And I'm not talking about the serious folks spreading serious ideas and beliefs, but all of those right-wing con artists and Religious Right types who have made a good living separating the gullible from their cash.

  20. #100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •