• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cancel Culture

Does the "radio edit" not exist anymore?

So your position is that Morgan Wallen should circulate a radio edit version of the video in question, then he'll be in good shape?

No. My position is that radio stations play music in which racial slurs and most profanity is censored, so your "concerns" are unfounded.

So you can't tell the missing words in a radio edit version?

Is Morgan Wallen being removed from the stations because he said the word, or because people heard him say the word? Because in the radio edit version, Da Baby said the word and it gets silenced over. And if I download the non-radio edit version, or click on the first YouTube link that pops up when searching the song, I can hear him say the word. The same way if I seek out the Morgan Wallen video, I can hear him say the word; and he didn't say the word and have it silenced over on the station itself.

Presumably the point of the zero tolerance policy is that saying the word, on its face and completely outside anything to do with the stations, is worthy of punishment. Adding interpretation takes it out of the definition of zero tolerance. So it makes zero sense why the stations would then promote actual songs themselves in which the same word is said and, even in the edited versions, readily inferred.

If the point is that the word itself is so heinous that it deserves a zero tolerance policy, which it does, then don't simultaneously encourage and capitalize upon the repeated saying of the word.

The point is stations don’t want to be associated with a white guy who causally drops n-bombs.

I’d be perfectly fine if the policy was specifically “Zero tolerance for white people using the n-word.”

The point is stations don’t want to be associated with a white guy who causally drops n-bombs.

Which, by itself, is a perfectly understandable position. But it isn't when the same group of stations actively promote other people who casually drop n-bombs in the songs themselves. If you want the word to stop being used, then don't promote the continued use of the word.

I'll give you two similar hypotheticals (with radio edits of the word since that apparently shouldn't get me banned):

This is like if the stations banned Eminem for saying f@ggot, while at the same time playing Elton John songs in which he referred to his partner as a f@ggot 14 times. It's cool, because for hundreds of years homosexuals have referred to each other as f@ggots.

Or, if ABC banned an actor for saying ret@rd, while in the Good Doctor having the hospital intercom announce "paging Dr. Ret@rd, paging Dr. Ret@rd". It's cool, because for hundreds of years autistic people have referred to each other as ret@rds.

Would either of those make any sense at all? Of course not. Because if the actual goal is to discontinue the use of the offending word, improve tolerance, and create unity, then the proper process is to condemn the word across all casual uses. Not discourage it by some but actively promote it by others.

I've never watched The Good Doctor. Were characters making fun of the autistic guy and calling him that? To me, it's ok to use words in the context of how they were used historically but not endorsing the use as the right thing to do. Like in the Godfather where the characters are being racist. They're not glorifying the racism but pointing out that gangsters in the 40s were racist AF.

Amazing that 2&2 has spent so much time and spewed so many words and still not managed to make a single intelligent point.

According to his own posts, 2&2 should be the board's expert on cancel culture. After all, he has stated that all his female employees cancel him after they have babies.

2&2 trying so hard to make the argument that black people saying the n-word is the same as white people saying it.

tenor.gif

No. My position is that radio stations play music in which racial slurs and most profanity is censored, so your "concerns" are unfounded.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe, in the case of a radio edit, the singer said the offending word in the studio when the album was being recorded.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe, in the case of a radio edit, the singer said the offending word in the studio when the album was being recorded.

If people lost their contracts for what's said in studios, there would be little to no music.

Which, by itself, is a perfectly understandable position. But it isn't when the same group of stations actively promote other people who casually drop n-bombs in the songs themselves. If you want the word to stop being used, then don't promote the continued use of the word.

I'll give you two similar hypotheticals (with radio edits of the word since that apparently shouldn't get me banned):

This is like if the stations banned Eminem for saying f@ggot, while at the same time playing Elton John songs in which he referred to his partner as a f@ggot 14 times. It's cool, because for hundreds of years homosexuals have referred to each other as f@ggots.

Or, if ABC banned an actor for saying ret@rd, while in the Good Doctor having the hospital intercom announce "paging Dr. Ret@rd, paging Dr. Ret@rd". It's cool, because for hundreds of years autistic people have referred to each other as ret@rds.

Would either of those make any sense at all? Of course not. Because if the actual goal is to discontinue the use of the offending word, improve tolerance, and create unity, then the proper process is to condemn the word across all casual uses. Not discourage it by some but actively promote it by others.[/QUOTE]

exactly

Dont remember Fox News complaining when the Dixie Chicks got cancelled for saying George Bush wasn't Texan.

The goal is to have racist/sexist/misogynist @ssh0les <cough> from using the word(s) against the people those words target. The @ssh0les that use those words maliciously rather than the people reclaiming them to take away the power and stigma. But then, you know that...

To the "why can't I say the n-word?" crowd, if Papa John can stop using the N word, you can too. Give yourself at least 21 months before giving up.

Back