• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cancel Culture

They’re proudly ass-backwards though.

so complain that cancel culture is ruining history...what do you do, cancel the people you are complaining about. isn't this also cancel culture?

having said that, the vote still remains and they can remove the statue until the bill gets voted on.

Tenn is ass-backwards

This is just more evidence that what many have said here is simply true - the GOP is only opposed to cancel culture if they're not in control of it. As long as they are, they're perfectly fine bullying or threatening or firing people that dare to disagree with them.

For more evidence, just look at our glorious NC Lt. Governor, Mark Robinson. In what has almost certainly been a nightmare year for teachers and students alike, Robinson has created a "task force" that will take complaints from students and parents about teachers who are "indoctrinating" students with vile left-wing beliefs (and I would imagine that their definition of left-wing is a very broad and vague one). And since NC teachers hired after 2013 no longer have tenure, it's pretty obvious what will happen to teachers who get reported - they may well find themselves and their careers canceled.

This is just more evidence that what many have said here is simply true - the GOP is only opposed to cancel culture if they're not in control of it. As long as they are, they're perfectly fine bullying or threatening or firing people that dare to disagree with them.

For more evidence, just look at our glorious NC Lt. Governor, Mark Robinson. In what has almost certainly been a nightmare year for teachers and students alike, Robinson has created a "task force" that will take complaints from students and parents about teachers who are "indoctrinating" students with vile left-wing beliefs (and I would imagine that their definition of left-wing is a very broad and vague one). And since NC teachers hired after 2013 no longer have tenure, it's pretty obvious what will happen to teachers who get reported - they may well find themselves and their careers canceled.

They’re trying to do this in Florida as well.

They’re trying to do this in Florida as well.

And of course this is why tenure was created in the first place - to prevent educators from being fired (or threatened with such) for blatantly political or frivolous reasons.

Screenshot_20210326-212807_Brave.jpg

gave this a read and thought it was an insightful look into just how vulnerable college athletic teams are in today's culture wars

Was someone out there arguing that or is this a strawman?

Bold statement here:

Right-wingers who call Jewish reporters “anti-Semitic” for fair reporting on Palestine are anti-Semitic and Islamophobes.

That's a pretty decent article for a website I (perhaps wrongly) assumed was not a place for serious journalism. (Not cnn as an institution but their web presence)

I agree. Unfortunately public universities operate at the whim of politicians and are beholden to them. I only see a little of it as faculty but it’s pretty disgusting how administrators have to kowtow to the party in charge.

The outgoing FSU president is the former head of the Florida GOP. FSU caused a bit of a stir but not naming the former Florida House spreader as a finalist to replace him. Some GOP lackeys were pissed.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...says-process-unfair-others-refute/5210955001/

FSU ended up selecting the Vice provost of research from Harvard. I’m going to guess he’s a better choice than the next Republican up.

Do the Rays sue for violation of their First Amendment rights or is it just waved away as not being financially prudent at this juncture or something?

Back