• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cancel Culture

I've always appreciated Rowlf but never thought of him as the best Muppet. Why do you hold him in such high regard?

I like that he is a throughline in the whole history of the Muppets, and his character does a great job balancing the zany mayhem side of the Muppets as well as the times he can pull emotional heartstrings. He's never corny, he's a character that knows exactly who he is. He had the best song from The Muppet Movie ("I Hope That Something Better Comes Along"). The scenes from the Muppet Show where Rowlf is playing piano is some real amazing puppet work.

lol and I was out here worrying about Movin' Right Along being one of the best. I always remember Rainbow Connection as a standalone song and forgot that it opens the movie. My brain is dumb.

All the songs slap except for Never Before. I’d rank them:

Can you picture that
Moving right along

I’m going to go back there someday
Rainbow Connection

I hope that something better comes along

Fozzie singing America

Never before

The deal with Gonzo having all those chickens is actually my favorite thing on the show.

All the songs slap except for Never Before. I’d rank them:

Can you picture that

As someone who owns an Electric Mayhem musical ornament, this is the correct response.

Followed by this one.

Sam the Eagle was ruined forever by Matt Doherty.

Oscar the Grouch is the greatest Muppet. Yes he's a Muppet.

As someone who owns an Electric Mayhem musical ornament, this is the correct response.

Followed by this one.

God I love that movie so much, and my kids hate it which depresses me every Christmas.

We know we're a mess
Our type does not like to be clean
We don't brush our teeth
'Cause our toothache can help us stay mean
We don't wish to learn
But we hate what we don't understand
Riverbottom Nightmare Band

God I love that movie so much, and my kids hate it which depresses me every Christmas.

So, Emmet Otter is our other main Christmas tradition, which we watch while decorating the tree. After 20+ years of watching it as an adult, on top of seeing it dozens of times as a kid, I'm not sure any more if it is actually a good movie. Maybe I am just burnt out on Gift of the Magi stories, since I swear 85% of kids' Christmas books are the same damn story swapping in a different branding.

So, Emmet Otter is our other main Christmas tradition, which we watch while decorating the tree. After 20+ years of watching it as an adult, on top of seeing it dozens of times as a kid, I'm not sure any more if it is actually a good movie. Maybe I am just burnt out on Gift of the Magi stories, since I swear 85% of kids' Christmas books are the same damn story swapping in a different branding.

It is a good movie. Maybe not watching it for a couple of years will renew your appreciation of it.

The wife and i showed it to our kids for the first time at Christmas. They did not like it either.

We know we're a mess
Our type does not like to be clean
We don't brush our teeth
'Cause our toothache can help us stay mean
We don't wish to learn
But we hate what we don't understand
Riverbottom Nightmare Band

There's a different thread for this Chris.

We need a thread that’s even stronger than unpopular opinions.

We need a thread that’s even stronger than unpopular opinions.

It's possible that it was just because I wasn't in a very Christmas-y mood this year. Glad to hear the problem is me and not Emmet Otter.

Tennessee Historical Commission votes overwhelmingly to remove a bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest - pre-Civil War slave dealer, Confederate general who was in command of troops who massacred African-American Union soldiers who were trying to surrender at Fort Pillow in 1864, and first "Grand Wizard" of the KKK in the postwar South - from the Tennessee State Capitol. The response of the GOP-controlled State Senate? Introduce a bill removing all members of the Tennessee Historical Commission from their posts, and appointing a new commission. To quote GOP State Senator Janice Bowling: ""In our culture today it seems there is a desire to cancel history, cancel culture, cancel narratives that are just based on fact. I think that that's a dangerous precedent." Gotta protect our Confederate heroes from that wicked cancel culture - so let's cancel the Historical Commission!

Last edited:
I like that he is a throughline in the whole history of the Muppets, and his character does a great job balancing the zany mayhem side of the Muppets as well as the times he can pull emotional heartstrings. He's never corny, he's a character that knows exactly who he is. He had the best song from The Muppet Movie ("I Hope That Something Better Comes Along"). The scenes from the Muppet Show where Rowlf is playing piano is some real amazing puppet work.

He also had a great bit of advice (pre song dialogue between him and Kermit)

Rolph: "I finish work, I go home, read a book, have a couple of beers, take myself for a walk, and go to bed. "
Kermit : Nice and simple.

'

Tennessee Historical Commission votes overwhelmingly to remove a bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest - pre-Civil War slave dealer, Confederate general who was in command of troops who massacred African-American Union soldiers who were trying to surrender at Fort Pillow in 1864, and first "Grand Wizard" of the KKK in the postwar South - from the Tennessee State Capitol. The response of the GOP-controlled State Senate? Introduce a bill removing all members of the Tennessee Historical Commission from their posts, and appointing a new commission. To quote GOP State Senator Janice Bowling: ""In our culture today it seems there is a desire to cancel history, cancel culture, cancel narratives that are just based on fact. I think that that's a dangerous precedent." Gotta protect our Confederate heroes from that wicked cancel culture - so let's cancel the Historical Commission!

so complain that cancel culture is ruining history...what do you do, cancel the people you are complaining about. isn't this also cancel culture?

having said that, the vote still remains and they can remove the statue until the bill gets voted on.

Tenn is ass-backwards

Back