• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cancel Culture

Junebug leaping from "Fuck yeah capitalism, it creates American Exceptionalism and it rules!" in one thread to "private company can't enforce own rules around harassment and discrimination on its own platform" in another thread is fun.

Not as fun as “private companies shouldn’t cancel bigots” to “I’m going to repost what got a Jewish poster cancelled” on the same thread.

14f4035042a19a6995a7e08b9c85e4d1.jpg

Making light of the issue by suggesting it is limited to Twitter is willful blindness.

Saying it's only about conservatives is willful lying.

Saying people don't have to follow the rules they agreed to is living embodiment of conservative hypocrisy. Conservatives love to talk about "personal responsibility", but when they are called upon to responsible for their own actions, they cry, blame others and live by "whataboutism".

conservatives love pointing to the free market being able to solve everyone's problems except when it comes to a company saying "you can't tweet that"

Isn't that what a transgendered person is? A man (biological) who thinks he is a female (Gender).

If gender is a social construct you can't be a gender you can only identify/think/feel you are a gender.

But who really gives a fuck.

a. It's transgender, not transgendered.

b. It isn't true that "biological sex" is a binary:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sex-redefined-the-idea-of-2-sexes-is-overly-simplistic1/

https://www.ted.com/talks/emily_quinn_the_way_we_think_about_biological_sex_is_wrong?language=en

c. It matters because it sucks when people deny one's existence.

Conservatives also have the notion that their shitty views and policies are popular because of the representative government that we have where they are way over represented. Turns out companies look at the populations, go wow the shitty conservative stuff represents way less than everyone else, let’s go with everyone else.

No one has the "right" to be on Twitter, FB, IG or other social media platforms. Their rules are clearly stated and one must agree to the rules to participate. If you break the rules, they have every right to kick you off.

If you walked into Target screaming, "Target kills puppies to make t-shirts", you'd be kicked out. Same thing with Twitter, et al.

The biggest problem is lying conservatives and their echo chamber.

Last edited:
We are a Strickland post away from having the "cancel culture hypocrisy" hat trick on this thread.

conservatives are free to start their own twitter/facebook/whatever

oh wait

It’s all over the free market.

This board is not the place for nuanced thought when you are trying to dunk on a conservative, but it's strange to me that you people think that because I'm a capitalist pig that must mean I'm in favor of pure capitalism without any government oversight. Even the dirtiest of dirty capitalist pigs favors regulation in cases of market failures. We already have public accommodations laws on the books for that reason. Moreover, as I've posted on at least one other thread, when it come to Big Tech, there is something very troubling about Congress giving blanket immunity to companies--companies that occupy the field in a market where the only way to gain market share is to gain followers and the only way to gain followers is to gain followers--to regulate speech that Congress itself can't regulate and then those companies exercise their powers in a way that disfavors one group. That begins to feel like it's not a market after all, much less a free one.

You’d have to point us to some kind of proof that Twitter’s policy favors one group over another.

You’d have to point us to some kind of proof that Twitter’s policy favors one group over another.

I was about to post this exact same thing. Twitter policies are clearly posted and it is nobodies fault but their own if they break that policy. There are a lot of truly horrible people that did not cross that line and still have their Twitter.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...ve-bias-social-media-no-evidence-nyu-research

A new report finds that claims of anti-conservative bias on social media platforms are not only untrue but serve as a form of disinformation. The report from NYU’s Stern Center for Business and Human Rights says not only is there no empirical finding that social media companies systematically suppress conservatives, but even reports of anecdotal instances tend to fall apart under close scrutiny. And in an effort to appear unbiased, platforms actually bend over backward to try to appease conservative critics.

Wasn’t a NYT editor recently fired for saying she got chills watching the inauguration?

this is when biff chimes in and says it was cold

Yeah, I never could have guessed that this board wouldn't have a problem with Big Tech's selective enforcement and viewpoint discrimination against conservatives.

this viewpoint you speak of is discrimination. how dare conservatives get called out for their discrimination directed towards those different from them.

Back