• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

EA Sports College Football 25 NIL deal with all 134 FBS teams; Wake officially in the game

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-return-ea-sports-college-football-video-game

[h=2]Does the NCAA need to change its rules before the game can return?[/h]No. Current NCAA rules prohibit EA Sports from paying players to use their names, images and likenesses in the game. If those rules are still in effect when the game is released, EA Sports plans to include real details such as team names, mascots and uniforms but not anything that would resemble the real players on those rosters.
EA Sports announced it would stop making its college football game in 2013 shortly before the company agreed to pay part of a reported $40 million to former college players to settle a lawsuit filed by former UCLA basketball player Ed O'Bannon. The lawsuit argued that it was illegal for EA Sports to sell a game with characters that looked strikingly similar to real athletes without paying those athletes.
While O'Bannon was sometimes mistakenly blamed for the game's demise, the company said at the time that it stopped production because the NCAA and some conferences were no longer interested in licensing their logos and names to the game makers, which prevented them from creating an authentic experience. Those schools are again willing to partner up with EA Sports. Holt didn't comment on why those partnerships have been revived, but he insisted there is nothing that currently prevents EA Sports from producing the game.

We'll we will definitely have an EA Sports College Football league when the game comes out.

While O'Bannon was sometimes mistakenly blamed for the game's demise, the company said at the time that it stopped production because the NCAA and some conferences were no longer interested in licensing their logos and names to the game makers, which prevented them from creating an authentic experience. Those schools are again willing to partner up with EA Sports. Holt didn't comment on why those partnerships have been revived, but he insisted there is nothing that currently prevents EA Sports from producing the game.

Duh ... COVID ... they are looking for any source of revenue they can. While I'm sure it's not a lot of $$ per school, every little bit counts.

I just posted this on the videogame thread. But the upshot of this is that it is probably the writing on the wall for the end of the NCAA in regards to football oversight as they are leaving the NCAA out of the game.

Of course, EA never technically used college rosters. There just happened to be some similarities.

EA could easily get around this by doing default rosters but making it very easy to edit and distribute fan rosters. That's basically what they did before but I'm sure it would be that much easier now.

They don’t have to. Make the rosters customizable and sharable and let the Operation Sports guys divvy it up. You’ll have very realistic rosters to download in 3 days.

If they get the school and stadium rights along with an ESPN deal the game will gold. You can make up knock off bowl games, although I suspect the bowls will want in.

Turkey Sandwiches BiffTannen Bowl

Starbucks Dr. Wente Bowl

Rovell is a fucking chode and he always will be.

While I welcome the news, there is some BS in that article:

the company said at the time that it stopped production because the NCAA and some conferences were no longer interested in licensing their logos and names to the game makers, which prevented them from creating an authentic experience.

This is not how I remembered it. It was all about not being able to pay the player NIL. EA was willing but the NCAA said no. As for the reason given above, did conferences stop liking money? That leaves the NCAA.

Gone is the NCAA Football series name. In its place will be EA Sports College Football.

Yeah, the reason is NCAA.

NCAA leaders have so far tried to steer clear of any kind of arrangement that would create a mechanism for athletes to negotiate as a group.

This goes back to the real reason.

But the NCAA might not get to set the terms of future NIL rules. Congress is expected to address college sports reform and compensation in some way in the relatively near future

So they are going to restart working on the game now, so they can tell NCAA to fuck off regarding NIL in a year.

They'll spend a year getting their CLC licenses renewed, updating stadium graphics, updating uniforms, updating cut scenes, and re-use the Madden game engine in a college football context. This game typically comes out in August, so August 2022?

Last edited:
July. July 2022 seems about right. They wouldn’t have to bother putting it out for current gen consoles.

Nah. If I was going to do that I would just stop watching college sports.

They'll spend a year getting their CLC licenses renewed, updating stadium graphics, updating uniforms, updating cut scenes, and re-use the Madden game engine in a college football context. This game typically comes out in August, so August 2022?

I will be REALLY disappointed if that's what they try to do. Madden sucks. It has always sucked. That was the beauty of the NCAA football series. It had a completely different game engine from the Madden series, and it was far superior. The only NFL game (for modern consoles) that was ever worth a damn was ESPN NFL 2k5.

I really missed beating up on you guys in the online league lol

I will be REALLY disappointed if that's what they try to do. Madden sucks. It has always sucked. That was the beauty of the NCAA football series. It had a completely different game engine from the Madden series, and it was far superior. The only NFL game (for modern consoles) that was ever worth a damn was ESPN NFL 2k5.

All-Pro Football 2k8 was all pretty great!

Glad to see EA is keeping up their strong support of the Switch

Back