Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: #LegalizeIt (and other drug policy thread)

  1. #1
    Bernie Eskimo Bro
    KickballDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vermont Republic
    Posts
    3,464

    #LegalizeIt (and other drug policy thread)

    With Mitch out of the way we may start to see some movement on this front

    Democrat senators vow to legalize cannabis this year


    Sens. Booker, Wyden, and Schumer yesterday:

    The War on Drugs has been a war on people—particularly people of color. Ending the federal marijuana prohibition is necessary to right the wrongs of this failed war and end decades of harm inflicted on communities of color across the country. But that alone is not enough. As states continue to legalize marijuana, we must also enact measures that will lift up people who were unfairly targeted in the War on Drugs.

    We are committed to working together to put forward and advance comprehensive cannabis reform legislation that will not only turn the page on this sad chapter in American history, but also undo the devastating consequences of these discriminatory policies. The Senate will make consideration of these reforms a priority.

    In the early part of this year, we will release a unified discussion draft on comprehensive reform to ensure restorative justice, protect public health and implement responsible taxes and regulations. Getting input from stakeholder groups will be an important part of developing this critical legislation.
    New Jersey (TBD) and South Dakota (7/1/21) are next up and join Montana (1/1/21) for legal weed this year, bringing the total to 15 states, 2 territories, and DC so far. Pennsylvania may not be far behind:


  2. #2

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by KickballDeac View Post
    With Mitch out of the way we may start to see some movement on this front

    Democrat senators vow to legalize cannabis this year


    Sens. Booker, Wyden, and Schumer yesterday:



    New Jersey (TBD) and South Dakota (7/1/21) are next up and join Montana (1/1/21) for legal weed this year, bringing the total to 15 states, 2 territories, and DC so far. Pennsylvania may not be far behind:

    Come on Florida!
    Birds are real.

  4. #4
    Legalize all drugs.

  5. #5
    Bernie Eskimo Bro
    KickballDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vermont Republic
    Posts
    3,464
    https://norml.org/wp-content/uploads...uest-FINAL.pdf

    NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) has addressed the above letter to Biden urging him to pardon all non-violent marijuana convictions, citing his comments in 2019 that “anyone who has a record should be let out of jail, their records expunged, completely zeroed out.”

  6. #6
    Bernie Eskimo Bro
    KickballDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vermont Republic
    Posts
    3,464
    Although most convictions are state and local, such a pardon would at least send the right message. To add to his comments, Biden’s previous stance was full decriminalization with a task force set up to “study its long-term effects.” But during her debate with Mike Pence and the Fly, I believe Kamala said they would federally legalize.

  7. #7
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,342
    Virginia is moving towards legalization, with a target date of 1/1/2024.

  8. #8
    Bernie Eskimo Bro
    KickballDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vermont Republic
    Posts
    3,464
    Are they looking to do so legislatively or by ballot measure?

  9. #9
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    People who want to get into the pot biz in VA might want to look into starting a "church" or associating with one. In CA sales tax on pot is about 30%. However, if you are "selling" pot as a "sacrament" for a "donation", you don't have to charge the sales tax.

    How about the Church of Chong?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU71 View Post
    Virginia is moving towards legalization, with a target date of 1/1/2024.
    Yeah, I've been all in on this for a while. Legalize and tax the fuck out of it just like you do alcohol and cigs.

  11. #11
    Bernie Eskimo Bro
    KickballDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vermont Republic
    Posts
    3,464
    Absolute bullshit going on in NJ

    NJ cops are still arresting people for weed. Police say they won't stop until legal marijuana is official.

    Police across the state have filed more than 6,000 charges for minor marijuana possession between Nov. 1 and Jan. 30, according to records from the state judiciary.

    In that same time period, 2.7 million people voted to legalize marijuana in New Jersey, lawmakers passed two bills to legalize and decriminalize marijuana and [AG] Grewal ordered prosecutors to adjourn cases for minor possession. But Gov. Murphy has not yet signed those bills into law, leading to confusion and uneven enforcement.
    "There's not a whole lot we can say," said Bordentown Township Police Chief Brian Pesce. "We take our guidance from the Attorney General's Office, and they haven't instructed us to back off."
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by wakelaw13 View Post
    Legalize all drugs.
    This is where our headspace should be.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by KickballDeac View Post
    It's going to be very interesting to see how the rest of the eastern states respond to legalization. With VA coming online in a few years, it would be nothing for a lot of folks in the Triangle or Triad to make a day trip up north to spend their money. I don't think the NCGA will be responsive to this while it is controlled by the GOP though. Given their track record they'll probably respond with greater border policing and random vehicle searches.

    It'll be interesting having so many states with legal weed that are geographically smaller than the west coast states and have large population centers near the borders. I know in St. Louis, for example, you can just go across the river to Illinois to load up. Might be the start of a domino effect for some states.

  15. #15
    Virginia got Powerball in 1997 and NC got it in 2005 when they saw the money flowing out of the state and into the VA government coffers.

  16. #16
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    It's going to be very interesting to see how the rest of the eastern states respond to legalization. With VA coming online in a few years, it would be nothing for a lot of folks in the Triangle or Triad to make a day trip up north to spend their money. I don't think the NCGA will be responsive to this while it is controlled by the GOP though. Given their track record they'll probably respond with greater border policing and random vehicle searches.

    It'll be interesting having so many states with legal weed that are geographically smaller than the west coast states and have large population centers near the borders. I know in St. Louis, for example, you can just go across the river to Illinois to load up. Might be the start of a domino effect for some states.
    Or megapot stores will pop up near the border.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Or megapot stores will pop up near the border.
    Your lips God's ears

  18. #18
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Mike Tyson is building a pot resort in Desert Hot Springs.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Virginia got Powerball in 1997 and NC got it in 2005 when they saw the money flowing out of the state and into the VA government coffers.
    Big loss for Moyock since everybody didn’t have to go to border station anymore to get their scratch offs.

  20. #20
    Rusty Larue
    DeaconSig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    11,372
    I remember the sprint down 521 to get to Indian Lands and buy lottery tickets during the early 2000s. Heady times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •