• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

The irony is that the Super League really isn't about forming a competitive league top to bottom, its really about keeping the elite clubs at the top. Everyone but the top 4 (Man City, Man U, Real Madrid, and Barca ) are going to be on playing for 5th place...

I doubt there would be equal revenue sharing on TV rights.
I doubt there would be any salary cap put in place.

Eventually, the luster of the league is going to lose its shine... who is going to want to turn into a Wednesday Super League relegation battle match between Arsenal and Inter Milan?

Someone suggested that matches would then be played all over the world (LiverPool vs. Real Madrid in Boston, ManU vs Barcelona in Toyko).

The short term monetary gain won't sustain the overall health of the new league?

Isn't this just another example of someone arguing "Too Big to Fail? Nobody forced these clubs to take on excessive debt and overpay for mediocre players. Let them go under.

yes, absolutely

pandemic didn't force these huge clubs to make bad investments

The irony is that the Super League really isn't about forming a competitive league top to bottom, its really about keeping the elite clubs at the top. Everyone but the top 4 (Man City, Man U, Real Madrid, and Barca ) are going to be on playing for 5th place...

I doubt there would be equal revenue sharing on TV rights.
I doubt there would be any salary cap put in place.

Eventually, the luster of the league is going to lose its shine... who is going to want to turn into a Wednesday Super League relegation battle match between Arsenal and Inter Milan?

Someone suggested that matches would then be played all over the world (LiverPool vs. Real Madrid in Boston, ManU vs Barcelona in Toyko).

The short term monetary gain won't sustain the overall health of the new league?

Reading the prepared statement of the league that some of the clubs put on their web sites, think you have some of this wrong:

- 15 teams would be exempt from relegation
- There would be greater revenue sharing
- There is some suggestion rules designed to contain costs would be put in place

Now that doesn't mean some of these clubs will not still be poorly run. The statement makes clear that Covid has exposed cracks in how the sport (read, some of these teams have operated). And not all of these teams are in the same spot. Chelsea and Man City don't need this league for financial reasons as they have no debt to service. Others like Tottenham, ManU and Barcelona are in a world of hurt right now. So yeah, the league is being created to "save" teams who decided levering up was a good idea.

Isn't this just another example of someone arguing "Too Big to Fail? Nobody forced these clubs to take on excessive debt and overpay for mediocre players. Let them go under.

Exactly. Its 2008 for horrifically run clubs like Real, Barca, Liverpool and ManU and they're taking the bailout from J.P. Morgan so they don't have to adapt and change. They could care less about shitting on their fans or the other clubs that they have 100+ year relationship with.

Anyways I'm getting the opposite vibes of DeacMan, the cracks are beginning to show. Rashford, Reece James, Pep and Zlatan all posting critical thoughts this morning. Rumors that City or Chelsea want to pull out. Absolutely nobody stepping up to back Perez after his unhinged rants last night. Boris Johnson coming out and denouncing it, seeing the opportunity to win political points. No other clubs have joined yet.

Also I didn't think about the government angle of this. The UK can refuse work permits to players playing in a non-sanctioned league. If Boris and the Tories think this will keep them in power and enhance his populist street cred they will absolutely turn on the foreign mercenaries who are behind this.

Exactly. Its 2008 for horrifically run clubs like Real, Barca, Liverpool and ManU and they're taking the bailout from J.P. Morgan so they don't have to adapt and change. They could care less about shitting on their fans or the other clubs that they have 100+ year relationship with.

I know you just hate LFC, but they have actually managed the Pandemic well. Frustratingly not spending to weather the storm. As is evident by our 300th pairing @ CB. One could argue we need the money to keep pace with the Middle Eastern and Russian oligarchs but credit where it's due. They've managed this way better than Madrid, Barca and others.

Still shits for joining Super League though.

I know you just hate LFC, but they have actually managed the Pandemic well. Frustratingly not spending to weather the storm. As is evident by our 300th pairing @ CB. One could argue we need the money to keep pace with the Middle Eastern and Russian oligarchs but credit where it's due. They've managed this way better than Madrid, Barca and others.

Still shits for joining Super League though.

You're correct I probably shouldn't have included Liverpool with that group of debt-laden failures. Which honestly might be more damning. Why is John Henry and FSG leading the way if they don't need the money right now. Just pure greed, I guess.

If every "top" hedge fund manager in the world died in their sleep tonight the world would be a much, much better place.

Reading the prepared statement of the league that some of the clubs put on their web sites, think you have some of this wrong:

- 15 teams would be exempt from relegation
- There would be greater revenue sharing
- There is some suggestion rules designed to contain costs would be put in place

Now that doesn't mean some of these clubs will not still be poorly run. The statement makes clear that Covid has exposed cracks in how the sport (read, some of these teams have operated). And not all of these teams are in the same spot. Chelsea and Man City don't need this league for financial reasons as they have no debt to service. Others like Tottenham, ManU and Barcelona are in a world of hurt right now. So yeah, the league is being created to "save" teams who decided levering up was a good idea.

I didn't see initially anything in regards to any specific revenue sharing and/or keeping costs down. Just saw an article that the salary cap would be 55% of revenue.

Here is a good quote from USAToday article...

So Arsenal’s American owner Stan Kroenke, who has famously made a nice chunk of change owning a Rams team that spent a decade going 7-9 before abandoning its city and moving to Los Angeles, can now be (in theory) as cheap as he’d like to be building Arsenal’s roster every year, because he can sleep easy knowing that he’s making The Super League every year no matter what.

if this gets off the ground, we'll see (an) American team(s) in the Super League before too long

if this gets off the ground, we'll see (an) American team(s) in the Super League before too long

Absolutely, in the next 10-15 year. My guess is that one or two of the London clubs, and clubs in smaller media markets will be moved to spread the appeal globaly. Arsenal to LA. Spurs to NYC. Somebody to China/Asia. City will move to the Gulf.

That's where this whole thing is headed.

You're correct I probably shouldn't have included Liverpool with that group of debt-laden failures. Which honestly might be more damning. Why is John Henry and FSG leading the way if they don't need the money right now. Just pure greed, I guess.

If every "top" hedge fund manager in the world died in their sleep tonight the world would be a much, much better place.

My take, I think he's just too Americanized in his thinking. He seems to me to be one of the ones that can't fathom the relegation concept. You know, earn it or go down. same with Champions League. Earn it. or your out. I love that.

So Arsenal’s American owner Stan Kroenke, who has famously made a nice chunk of change owning a Rams team that spent a decade going 7-9 before abandoning its city and moving to Los Angeles, can now be (in theory) as cheap as he’d like to be building Arsenal’s roster every year, because he can sleep easy knowing that he’s making The Super League every year no matter what.

I thought about that yesterday and it's baffling to me that these guys own franchises and don't give a crap whether or not they compete. It's all about making billions I guess. Sad and I feel for the fan bases of teams like St Louis, Arsenal. I refuse to watch the NBA because of the hornets moving back in the day. No fanbase should have to deal with that.

Yo DV7 you’re fellow Leeds fan is spitting some truth

Came here to post something saying basically the same thing. A bunch of these clubs are basically Leeds in 2001 and are taking the coward's way out by selling their souls since they can't even win in Europe when times are good. Fucking Arsenal and Tottenham betting the farm on playing in the CL every year and when they suck the first reaction is to look for a golden parachute where they can be Real Madrid's gimp every year.

Also, great showing by super team Liverpool at Elland Road yesterday. Bunch of twats.

People excited about the SuperLeague are going to be mighty disappointed when it turns out that the matches will be exclusively broadcast on BeIn++, which will cost $39.99 a month and will only will be available to stream on Microsoft Zunes.
I take your point.

But curious that BeIn is owned by Qataris and Qataris in general are worried about maintaining good terms right now with FIFA. Also coincidentally it is Qataris that own PSG ...

I know no one cares due to the ESL news but, contrary to initial speculation, Ryan Mason is the official caretaker manager of Spurs with Chris Powell as assistant.

He'll set the record for youngest manager of a PL side when he takes the helm of his boyhood club tomorrow at age 29. He's younger than Hugo Lloris, Joe Hart, Toby Alderweireld, Gareth Bale, and Moussa Sissoko (and myself, ugh) and within a year of 5 others. Not to mention, he almost died on the pitch a few years ago. Pretty crazy! Thrilled for the guy.

1nwR8DR.jpg

Back