• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

A good friend and colleague of mine, a Charlton supporter, always says to me when Everton are playing well "sure, you just beat XXX, but can you do it on a cold Thursday night in Krasnodar?"

This team isn't built to contend in any way, shape or form but a reduction in dead weight and a quality summer window will do us wonders. Give me a derby win and some hope for next year and I'm fine. Carlo wouldn't be there if he didn't have vision, and better days are ahead.

giphy.gif

Ok, but what's his relationship like with the director of football? Is there any evidence to support that he has a long term strategy that has a throughline from recruitment, scouting, training, and tactics, to style of play?

We seem to just recruit people at completely random spots along the age and development curve, and aren't really focused on value or on going after young stars. It's just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. And every manager seems really fucking stuck on selecting Gylfi Sigurdsson no matter how glued to the pitch his feet are.

It's fun to mock Liverpool supporters as plastic or whatever Brasky says, but you can't really make fun of their sporting operations, which are utterly world class. Yes, they'll spend big money, but when they recruited Jurgen Klopp, they put a system in place and recruited players that would age to prime at the same time, addressed weakness both through expensive and valuable options, have improved on training and nutrition programs from the academy to the senior team, etc. I don't think Klopp is some elite mastermind coaching talent, but I do think they've got a strategic plan that they've stuck to that works.

Similar stuff at City and Leicester.

I don't see the long term master plan at Manchester United necessarily. They seem to recruit over players that are young and good in their own academy all the time. What need did Cavani address that wasn't working last season with their front three? He's old and keeping Mason Greenwood out of the team. Is Van de Beek a Pogba replacement? Why spent a billion dollars on Harry Maguire when there are CBs with better numbers across Europe for cheaper. I don't see a theme on the pitch from week to week in terms of tactics.

And Everton are far worse. Yes we've been slowly cutting dead weight, and that's good. But what was the deal with either Ademola Lookman or now again with Moise Kean? Two completely different approaches to recruiting young talent, Lookman much closer to the DCL model of buying cheaply from the Championship (something West Ham have done brilliantly this past season), and Kean going through mega agent Raiola and paying crazy money and not playing him and shipping him out on loan? What is the strategy up top? Why can we not build a midfield? Allan was an always injured player coming in, as good as his numbers were. Doucoure is a fine player, but for the money is he the type of player we want? I just don't see the strategy at all.

Ok, but what's his relationship like with the director of football? Is there any evidence to support that he has a long term strategy that has a throughline from recruitment, scouting, training, and tactics, to style of play?

We seem to just recruit people at completely random spots along the age and development curve, and aren't really focused on value or on going after young stars. It's just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. And every manager seems really fucking stuck on selecting Gylfi Sigurdsson no matter how glued to the pitch his feet are.

You make valid points, but I do believe that there is/was housecleaning that needed and needs to be done, a process that will take a bit longer.

Greenwood's poor form is keeping him out of the side more than anything else.

Bayer Leverkusen down 3-0 to Young Boys. yeesh.

United up 1-0 in Turin vs Real Sociedad via Bruno assisted by Rashford

Bale had a nice goal for Spurs.

VAR checking a Bruno goal (called offside on the pitch)

I think he was level with the ball when James played him in...

GOAL! 2-0!

ETA: The ball in by Rashford to James really made the goal tho. Sharp 25 yard diagonal right into James' path. 2 touches later and it was in the back of the net.

Last edited:
Hendo caught a cross. Rolls it out to Fred. He carries and then plays a gorgeous through ball for Rashford and it's 3-0.

That was TOO easy.

DANNY JAMES! Goes 5 hole on the keeper to make it 4-0.

I haven't seen him that happy since he got his puppy.

0_Dan-James4JPG.jpg

Aubameyang with the worst Arsenal miss since Gervinho

@townie - is there a way on fbref to tell the xG of individual shot attempts from a match? for instance, Man United's yesterday vs Sociedad?

I see MUFC's total xG for the match was 3.0 but don't see the xG for specific shot attempts. Does it not go that granular?

@townie - is there a way on fbref to tell the xG of individual shot attempts from a match? for instance, Man United's yesterday vs Sociedad?

I see MUFC's total xG for the match was 3.0 but don't see the xG for specific shot attempts. Does it not go that granular?

don't think so, not within the match report, though you can see it by player and see individual shot creation actions: https://fbref.com/en/matches/905b5745/Real-Sociedad-Manchester-United-February-18-2021-Europa-League

you'd need the shot map from the match itself, which is probably proprietary

Michael Caley usually posts them from major competitions, but they're not interactive, just static graphics, and he doesn't use the StatsBomb xG calculator iirc.

yeah, I was just curious as to Rashford's two saved shots before I started watching. Saw some twitter talk and match reports saying he is a wasteful striker but then I see an xG of 1.2 and 1 goal and am wondering how big of misses were the chances in question?

And what was his xG on his goal? I would have thought that xG would have been pretty high as he was through, not really under pressure, and 1v1 against the keeper from a decent angle.

Back