• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Rice is magnitudes better than that shithead Henderson.

Rashford - Foden - Sterling
Grealish - Rice - Saka
Chillwell - Stones - Maguire - TAA
Pope

Nobody including DCL? Even those picking three forwards?

Cresswell is having a better season than Chilwell. And I’d put a healthy Reece James ahead of TAA.

Any warm body over Maguire too.

Gotta play 3 in the back to cover TAA, he’s a horrible RB. Chilwell has been awful this year. Kane too injury prone to build around, bring him on for the last 30 mins if you need a goal.

Grealish-Rashford-Sterling
Saka-Foden-Henderson-TAA
Stones-Maguire-Rice
Pope

Fluid front 3, and a team that can press you all over the field. Maybe bring in Mings for Stones, depending on who’s in better form.

I don't disagree, I just think a back 4 is always better than a back 3 in internationals. I guess the solution would be to call up AWB and hope he's good enough going forward. It does help though that Saka can easily interchange between LWB/LW/RW so no matter which formation you choose, you're covering 3 positions with one roster spot. Would allow Southgate to continue to bring 4-5 RBs just for the hell of it.

Nobody including DCL? Even those picking three forwards?

Cresswell is having a better season than Chilwell. And I’d put a healthy Reece James ahead of TAA.

Any warm body over Maguire too.

I hate Harry Kane more than most athletes in my lifetime but he's still England's best #9 right now. DCL should easily make the squad though and likely will be first choice eventually.

Also Reece James over TAA is laughable even though I know you're an Everton supporter and TAA is having kind of a nightmare season. And Maguire is trash too but so are most England CBs (though Stones/Mings might have the potential to not totally suck).

I do agree though that Cresswell has played well and should be in the conversation, LB is a pretty dire position for England too.

Rice is magnitudes better than that shithead Henderson.

Rashford - Foden - Sterling
Grealish - Rice - Saka
Chillwell - Stones - Maguire - TAA
Pope

While I would 100% run this lineup on FIFA, this team gets absolutely roasty toasted by any decent international team, defensively pretty suspect. Would be a great "we're down a goal with 15 minutes to go, let's go for it" lineup after a couple substitutions though.

Good point, I think I agree.

I also forgot about DCL, and I rate him pretty highly. A healthy, fit Kane starts for me and DCL if he's not. The Foden or Sterling false nine will certainly work against some countries.

I just don't want Henderson anywhere near this team. England has had a decade of problems with central midfield ever since Lampard and Gerrard retired. In my mind, that is entirely down to Henderson being a shitty player and un-flashy players never getting a shot in their primes: e.g. Scotty Parker, Mark Noble, Jonjo Shelvey. Any of them would have been so much better for England than the mackem clown

I hate Harry Kane more than most athletes in my lifetime but he's still England's best #9 right now. DCL should easily make the squad though and likely will be first choice eventually.

Also Reece James over TAA is laughable even though I know you're an Everton supporter and TAA is having kind of a nightmare season. And Maguire is trash too but so are most England CBs (though Stones/Mings might have the potential to not totally suck).

I do agree though that Cresswell has played well and should be in the conversation, LB is a pretty dire position for England too.

Going back a calendar year, here are the comparisons for TAA vs RJ (where percentiles used, for fullbacks in the top five European leagues):

Non penalty xG per 90:
RJ: 0.05
TAA: 0.07

Shots per 90:
RJ: 1.23
TAA: 1.30

Assists per 90:
RJ: 0.11
TAA: 0.21

Shot creating actions per 90:
RJ: 2.79
TAA: 3.08

Pass completion %:
RJ: 83.1%
TAA: 74.5%

Progressive carries per 90:
RJ: 6.97
TAA: 6.31

Dribbles completed per 90:
RJ: 1.27
TAA: 0.88

Pressures per 90:
RJ: 14.84
TAA: 9.02

Tackles per 90:
RJ: 2.47
TAA: 1.72

Interceptions per 90:
RJ: 1.20
TAA: 0.74

Blocks per 90:
RJ: 2.94
TAA: 1.09

Clearances per 90:
RJ: 2.07
TAA: 1.91

Aerials won per 90:
RJ: 1.92
TAA: 0.19

These two play in very different systems for managers asking them to do different things. Liverpool have more of the ball than Chelsea which depresses the defensive stats a bit. But also watch the kid play, he can’t defend anyone at the moment.

You’re essentially choosing a dead ball player. One that can be replaced with Ward Prowse or amount. From open play it’s laughable you’d choose Alexander-Arnold over the clearly superior two way player in James.

Also “amount” should read “Mount”

If you really value set piece takers I meant, there are better ones at creating chances than TAA, which is really all he’s been good for this past season+.

Going back a calendar year, here are the comparisons for TAA vs RJ (where percentiles used, for fullbacks in the top five European leagues):

Non penalty xG per 90:
RJ: 0.05
TAA: 0.07

Shots per 90:
RJ: 1.23
TAA: 1.30

Assists per 90:
RJ: 0.11
TAA: 0.21

Shot creating actions per 90:
RJ: 2.79
TAA: 3.08

Pass completion %:
RJ: 83.1%
TAA: 74.5%

Progressive carries per 90:
RJ: 6.97
TAA: 6.31

Dribbles completed per 90:
RJ: 1.27
TAA: 0.88

Pressures per 90:
RJ: 14.84
TAA: 9.02

Tackles per 90:
RJ: 2.47
TAA: 1.72

Interceptions per 90:
RJ: 1.20
TAA: 0.74

Blocks per 90:
RJ: 2.94
TAA: 1.09

Clearances per 90:
RJ: 2.07
TAA: 1.91

Aerials won per 90:
RJ: 1.92
TAA: 0.19

These two play in very different systems for managers asking them to do different things. Liverpool have more of the ball than Chelsea which depresses the defensive stats a bit. But also watch the kid play, he can’t defend anyone at the moment.

You’re essentially choosing a dead ball player. One that can be replaced with Ward Prowse or amount. From open play it’s laughable you’d choose Alexander-Arnold over the clearly superior two way player in James.

I have conceded that TAA is having a bad year and I'm not discounting that James is playing well, but at an international tournament where you don't have a calendar year, I'm taking the higher ceiling guy in TAA. Besides, if England do end up playing a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, TAA won't have to defend as much and his ability in the attacking third is what I personally would want.

The system matters but I’m not convinced, either on current form or potential, that Alexander Arnold is even better going forward than James.

Do any of the systems you describe have target forwards who head the ball in? If not, give me a player who can exchange with the midfield and get in behind instead of a player very reliant on crossing the ball.

The system matters but I’m not convinced, either on current form or potential, that Alexander Arnold is even better going forward than James.

Do any of the systems you describe have target forwards who head the ball in? If not, give me a player who can exchange with the midfield and get in behind instead of a player very reliant on crossing the ball.

Kane is decent and the air as is DCL. And based on your own percentiles that you posted, other than pass completion (his real bugaboo this year) and dribbles completed, TAA is essentially even or better percentile-wise than James this season.

I love DCL but he's too still inconsistent for international minutes. He's soooo hot or soooo cold. Gives his all and is a great outlet, but sometimes his finishing belongs in League 1. Not sure you rely on that in an international tournament.

I love DCL but he's too still inconsistent for international minutes. He's soooo hot or soooo cold. Gives his all and is a great outlet, but sometimes his finishing belongs in League 1. Not sure you rely on that in an international tournament.

He's a great backup striker to have right now, give him 15-20 minutes up there with Kane if you're down a goal, hope one of his magic moments happens. But I agree that he would not be someone you want leading the line at present. If Vardy continues to stave off Father Time, Kane/Vardy/DCL isn't the worst striker trio in Europe. Certainly won't win the tournament for you but should get a few goals for you.

Totally Unofficial 2020/21 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Kinda hope that my club waits until tomorrow afternoon and then announces right before kickoff that me MIGHT have a COVID outbreak and then we ask to get the game moved again

Just to see how the PL acts

And because our boys could use a break before the derby, just like Qataris needed back in Dec.

His finishing numbers are on par with Salah and Mane. He just gets absolutely no service many games.

Kane is decent and the air as is DCL. And based on your own percentiles that you posted, other than pass completion (his real bugaboo this year) and dribbles completed, TAA is essentially even or better percentile-wise than James this season.

?

TAA is only better, in the stats I posted, in the final third. He's far worse defensively, and doesn't contribute to build up play nearly as much either (progressing the ball). His style works because he can sit in the final third and ping a ton of crosses or switch play.

Totally Unofficial 2020/21 Premier League Thread (NWT)

His finishing numbers are on par with Salah and Mane. He just gets absolutely no service many games.

Well Senegal and Egypt are pretty average international sides. And Liverpool will be lucky to finish 7th this year in the PL. England should demand a higher standard.

dcl is #1 in the premier league in:
non penalty goals
non penalty goals per 90
non penalty expected goals
non penalty expected goals per 90
shots on target
shots on target%
shots on target per 90

he's #2 in goals and expected goals

he's #3 in goals per 90, shots per 90, and goals per shot

he's an elite finisher and shooter

given that he regularly has a below league average midfield setting the table, and everton are 17th in the league in touches in the final third, i don't know what else you want from this player at this point

DCL is having a good season, no doubt - but is that quality and true class or just good form? Townie, you also used these advanced stats to talk up Pepe when Arsenal signed him as I was warning he had only done it in one season and later than most players start to perform at a high level.

I'm wary of it being outlier seasons for players that just start producing around 22/23/24 with no glimpses of true quality before then. 11 goals for DCL in 78 PL appearances pre-2019/20. 13 in 36 last season. And now 13 in 19 this season, his year 24 season.

I'm skeptical he is of genuine international quality. I could be wrong and he could go on and prove it over many seasons to come, but I'll wait to find out before just looking at 19 matches of data and thinking he is a top striker.

Back