• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

announcers seem to attribute his excellent form to coaching, and i partially agree

he also wasn't getting regularly chosen under previous managers; last season was his first with > 1900 minutes

his game prior to ancelotti was really to hold up play, which he's also completely elite at, just watch him with back to goal anywhere on the field, he's extremely good at holding possession waiting for the attack to build

now that james has joined and richarlison has some help creating chances, calvert lewin can play a bit further up the field

i'd like to see his average goal distance go below 10 yards, even. his shot selection and therefore finishing are what have really improved this season more than anything else.

i don't know if he's an elite international, not like kane at his peak, but i think he's probably better than kane now. what mourinho has done with kane is pretty cool though, in the partnership with son. it used to be that he'd just shoot any time he was within about 40 yards of goal and there was an inch window available to him; now he actually looks to pass sometimes.

?

TAA is only better, in the stats I posted, in the final third. He's far worse defensively, and doesn't contribute to build up play nearly as much either (progressing the ball). His style works because he can sit in the final third and ping a ton of crosses or switch play.

Did you read your own link? TAA is in the 99th percentile for progressive passes from fullbacks. There are plenty of arguments to be made against TAA's season, but this does not appear to be one of them.

Difpo11.png

some dudes are just late bloomers

agreed, there are exceptions to the rule for sure - Jaime Vardy is an obvious example. im just saying that I tend to err on the side of assuming a player that hasn't done it (or even earned the opportunity) by age 22/23 isn't likely to be a truly masterclass striker.

Kevin Phillips led the Prem in goals scored one season (scored 30! in his age 26 season) but he never scored more than 14 in any of his other 6 seasons in the top flight. He had 8 caps for England and never scored a single goal for his country.

oh man, just took a trip down memory lane looking at top goal scorers in each season only to remember Marcus Stewart scoring 19 in 2000/01 (2nd highest in Prem that season) for promoted Ipswich as they qualified for the UEFA Cup (Europa Cup these days). The next season he scored 6 and Ipswich were relegated.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

DCL is having an amazing season, and I hope he's our #9 for the next decade, but there was a seven game PL stretch in Dec and Jan where he didn't score. Now part of that stretch was interrupted by injury, but he played in seven consecutive PL matches without scoring. And from my #eyetest he fluffed 4-5 easy chances during that stretch.

You can't rely on a player like that as your #9 and expect to win any international silverware.

(Except of course for the U20 World Cup which he won for England by scoring the game winner in a 1-0 final, although I believe Dom Solanke (lol) started over him on that team)

Did you read your own link? TAA is in the 99th percentile for progressive passes from fullbacks. There are plenty of arguments to be made against TAA's season, but this does not appear to be one of them.

Difpo11.png

passing the ball yes, but not carrying the ball or receiving it in the final third

again i attribute a lot of that to system

DCL is having an amazing season, and I hope he's our #9 for the next decade, but there was a seven game PL stretch in Dec and Jan where he didn't score. Now part of that stretch was interrupted by injury, but he played in seven consecutive PL matches without scoring. And from my #eyetest he fluffed 4-5 easy chances during that stretch.

You can't rely on a player like that as your #9 and expect to win any international silverware.

(Except of course for the U20 World Cup which he won for England by scoring the game winner in a 1-0 final, although I believe Dom Solanke (lol) started over him on that team)

again, look at the service he's getting

here are his top creators (players with > 10 90s) by shot creating actions per 90

Rodriguez - 3.78
Iwobi - 2.84
Sigurdsson - 2.33
Richarlison - 2.17
Digne - 2.10
Gomes - 1.77
Doucoure - 1.50
Allan - 1.49

Manchester City have seven players with > 3 shot creating actions per 90. Manchester United have six. Leicester City have five (and Barnes has 2.99). Chelsea has five (and Werner has 2.95). Etc. etc. We aren't creating enough shots for DCL.

again, look at the service he's getting

here are his top creators (players with > 10 90s) by shot creating actions per 90

Rodriguez - 3.78
Iwobi - 2.84
Sigurdsson - 2.33
Richarlison - 2.17
Digne - 2.10
Gomes - 1.77
Doucoure - 1.50
Allan - 1.49

Manchester City have seven players with > 3 shot creating actions per 90. Manchester United have six. Leicester City have five (and Barnes has 2.99). Chelsea has five (and Werner has 2.95). Etc. etc. We aren't creating enough shots for DCL.

Its a fair point, and something Ancelotti desperately needs to address this summer. I just pray we can finish 6th and use Europe as a recruitment tool along with Carlo. We need an attacking #8 and another creative winger.

However I'm just pointing out the reasons why I, a massive Everton fan and DCL defender from the beginning, currently can't see him as England's starting #9.

yea i don't disagree too strongly, just don't see how three forwards were getting picked ahead of him in several cases

Back to the England RB discussion. I think AWB is being discarded a bit too easily here for being the starting RB for England.

Here are the respective stats (and relative placement) of each of the 3 top English RBs in the Prem.

151218432_3736754259713220_2807806680060214719_n.png

Back to the England RB discussion. I think AWB is being discarded a bit too easily here for being the starting RB for England.

Here are the respective stats (and relative placement) of each of the 3 top English RBs in the Prem.

151218432_3736754259713220_2807806680060214719_n.png

He's my second choice, only reason I engaged with Townie on TAA vs. James debate is because Townie wanted to. If the game is going to be more defensive, I think AWB makes a lot of sense.

Essentially, if England is going to be taking the game to an opponent, TAA is the logical choice. If England is going to be under a lot of pressure (think Germany, Spain, France, etc.), AWB would be probably preferred. James is a great player to have as a backup to either situation, but he's also by far least experienced (though AWB has yet to actually be capped by England) of the trio so I wouldn't really want to start him in the Euros or something.

Essentially, if England is going to be taking the game to an opponent, TAA is the logical choice. If England is going to be under a lot of pressure (think Germany, Spain, France, etc.), AWB would be probably preferred. James is a great player to have as a backup to either situation, but he's also by far least experienced (though AWB has yet to actually be capped by England) of the trio so I wouldn't really want to start him in the Euros or something.

I only engaged bc you said it was laughable, and it’s not really. AWB also a worthy selection.

Woah Hummel just announced a merch deal worth the all the North American Everton supporters club. We have our own Hummel branded polos and T-shirts with the local supporter groups badges. It’s pretty sweet. The switch to Hummel from Umbro was awesome.

https://www.soccer.com/everton

0-0 Fulham-Burnley at half. Big 45 minutes upcoming for Fulham's survival hopes.

Back