• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 MLB Season Thread

Pilchard

Reaction score
Guess it's time to retire the 2020 MLB season thread and start a new one.

MLB and MLBPA reached a deal on 2021 season protocols:

- Mandatory five-day quarantine before reporting to Spring Training
- COVID tests every other day, starting in Spring Training (may be ramped up to everyday)
- Those that test positive must isolate for at least 10 days; before returning, players must pass a cardiac eval
- No attending indoor gatherings (including bars and restaurants) of 10 or more people
- During the season, on road trips, players must stay in their hotel, unless they are participating in team activities (e.g., going to and from games), unless they are given permission for extraordinary circumstances
- While at the team hotel, no meeting with "guests" who are not part of the team travelling party (bad news for "friends" of MLB players who typically help players pass the time on road trips)
- Contact tracing devices must be worn at all times

On the field rules:

- 7 inning doubleheaders (not a fan)
- runner starts on 2nd base for extra-inning games
- no prohibition on position players pitching
- rosters set at 26 (down from 28 last year), but with added flexibility on transactions if a team is hit with an outbreak
- MLB teams may bring a 5 man taxi-squad for road trips

No DH in the NL; no expanded playoffs (although the door remains open on both issues)

Best available remaining free agents:

- Justin Turner
- Jake Odorizzi
- Jackie Bradley Jr.
- James Paxton
- Taijuan Walker
- Rick Porcello
- Cole Hamels
- Mark Melancon

Pitchers and catchers start reporting next week.

I personally don't mind the 7 inning doubleheaders, especially if teams get hit with an outbreak. I'm not a fan of the runner starting on 2nd in extra innings though - I'd rather walk that rule back.

I'd be curious if any of the restrictions start to get loosened come summer time and the potential for mass vaccination becomes more likely.

Also, with it not looking like Canada opening their borders anytime soon, I'll be interested to see where they at least start the season. I'm guessing Buffalo would be the choice, since it sounds like Minor League Spring Training won't start until after the big league teams move out for the regular season (so the Jays minor leaguers would all be in Dunedin), and Buffalo would be available.

With the way Toronto raked in Buffalo last season, that might not be a bad thing.

Nothing definitive on where the Jays will play, but MLB is planning on a minor league season, which may take Buffalo out of the mix (Buffalo is the AAA affiliate for the Jays). The leading suggestion seems to be that Jays will start the season out of their Dunedin Spring Training facility (which just was upgraded), and with the hope to move back to Toronto at some point during the season.

The Mets are flirting with Justin Turner. He was a nothing-burger during his first tour with the Mets.

So will some team take a chance on Cole Hamels, figuring he is closer to the guy who had an ERA below 4 in 2019 in 27 starts and 141 innings pitched? Or will teams look at his 3 innings/8+ ERA in 2020 and pass on a 37 year old pitcher?

So will some team take a chance on Cole Hamels, figuring he is closer to the guy who had an ERA below 4 in 2019 in 27 starts and 141 innings pitched? Or will teams look at his 3 innings/8+ ERA in 2020 and pass on a 37 year old pitcher?

He's left-handed...he'll have options until he's 57...

He's left-handed...he'll have options until he's 57...

That was my thinking. Part of why I am surprised he is still out there. Offer him a 7 figure deal with some incentives. Like 22 starts, 110 innings to make 8 figures possible. Or something like that. Team option for 2022. At least half the teams could use an additional left handed starter.

I don't really know dick about baseball, but I believe PECOTA is still fairly well-respected

was surprised they pegged the ChiSox at only 83 wins and 3rd in the AL Central

I don't really know dick about baseball, but I believe PECOTA is still fairly well-respected

was surprised they pegged the ChiSox at only 83 wins and 3rd in the AL Central

PECOTA also has the Brewers winning the central with 89 wins, the Cubs winning 85 games and the Cards at 81 games. I'm guessing the shortened 2020 season had something to do with weird numbers - Mets second best record in baseball, Indians at 86 wins.

PECOTA always has some f'd up projections. They always underestimate the A's and the Rays. Last year, PECOTA had the A's finishing 3rd in the AL West behind the Astros and Angels. The A's won the division going away. This year, PECOTA has the A's again finishing 3rd in the AL West, and finishing with a losing record. The Sports Books have the A's as the favorite to win the AL West again. You would think that PECOTA would tweak their ratings over time to address certain inherent biases, but they don't. FWIW, PECOTA has the Braves finishing 4th in the NL East. Not going to happen.

Tatis Jr signs a 14 year, $340m extension.

The agents for Acuna & Albies should be ashamed.

Tatis Jr signs a 14 year, $340m extension.

The agents for Acuna & Albies should be ashamed.

I would be pretty livid if the Braves had made a commitment like this. They always end up as bad deals.

I’d be surprised if Tatis doesn’t provide surplus value. The AAV is just over $24m. The real shocker is that it only takes him through his age 35 season so there’s plenty reason to believe that it’ll be worth it, unless there’s a catastrophic injury.

I’d be surprised if Tatis doesn’t provide surplus value. The AAV is just over $24m. The real shocker is that it only takes him through his age 35 season so there’s plenty reason to believe that it’ll be worth it, unless there’s a catastrophic injury.

He might but you never know. He hasn’t even played a full season’s worth of games meaning he’s basically still a prospect. And you never know what will happen with prospects.

Can the Ms compete this year or do the experts still say the rebuild is still 1 or 2 more seasons away?

If Hanniger and Paxton are back to their healthy bests then I really like the rotation and lineup. Thoughts?

I read an article that says Tatis' contract ends before Bobby Bonilla's (by a year). Crazy.

MLB Win Totals are out. Naturally, the Dodgers have the highest team O/U @ 104.5 (highest opening team win total since the 1999 Yankees). The poor Pirates have the lowest @ 58 (the lowest opening team win total in 28 years).

Team totals by division:

NL East

Braves 92
Mets 89
Nats 84.5
Phils 81.5
Marlins 73.5

NL Central

Cards 88
Brewers 84.5
Reds 81.5
Cubs 79.5
Pirates 58

NL West

Dodgers 104.5
Padres 92
D-Backs 75.5
Giants 73
Rockies 62.5

AL East

Yanks 97
Rays 88.5
Jays 86
Red Sox 77
O's 64

AL Central

White Sox 90.5
Twins 89.5
Indians 81
Royals 71
Tigers 66

AL West

A's 88.5
Astros 88
Angels 83
Mariners 71
Rangers 69.5

If the season played out according to the win totals (it won't) the playoffs would look like this:

NL WC: Mets at Padres

NL WC winner to face the Dodgers

Cards v. Braves

AL WC: Rays at Twins (maybe the Twins can win a post-season game)

AL WC Winner at Yankees

A's v. White Sox

Last edited:
Can the Ms compete this year or do the experts still say the rebuild is still 1 or 2 more seasons away?

If Hanniger and Paxton are back to their healthy bests then I really like the rotation and lineup. Thoughts?

I wonder what the feelings are in the clubhouse after the team President made an ass out of himself over the weekend?

I wonder what the feelings are in the clubhouse after the team President made an ass out of himself over the weekend?

He, Kevin Mather, not only made an ass out of himself. He just resigned (or was fired).

BTW, he are the current largest contracts by annual average value:

t-1. Mike Trout, Angels: $36,000,000. Extension signed March 2019

t-1. Gerrit Cole, Yankees: $36,000,000. Free agent contract signed December 2019

t-3. Stephen Strasburg, Nationals: $35,000,000. Free agent contract signed December 2019

t-3. Anthony Rendon, Angels: $35,000,000. Free agent contract signed December 2019

5. Zack Greinke, Diamondbacks: $34,416,667. Free agent contract signed December 2015

6. Trevor Bauer, Dodgers: $34,000,000. Free agent contract signed February 2021

7. Nolan Arenado, Rockies: $33,428,571. Extension signed February 2019

8. Justin Verlander, Astros: $33,000,000. Extension signed March 2019

t-9. Miguel Cabrera, Tigers: $31,000,000. Extension signed March 2014

t-9. David Price, Red Sox: $31,000,000. Free agent contract signed December 2015

I'm amazed (and disappointed) that he was still in charge after being flagged as a guy that sexually harassed employees. Good riddance.

Back