• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 MLB Season Thread

Really intrigued by the Royals over at 73.5. Talk me into it/out of it!

Incredible that you raised that one. Think that may be the best bargain out there. They made some nice under the radar moves: Carlos Santana, Andrew Benintendi, Mike Minor, and their young players are getting better (Mondesi, Dozier, Soler, Nicky Lopez. Salvador Perez is healthy. Nobody GAF about the Royals, but think they are pretty solid.

Also, considering going under on all 5 NL East teams. With 76 games against the other Division teams (and playing the AL East which is stacked outside of the O's), it will be essentially impossible for more than two teams get over the win total (and maybe only one does).

I feel like taking that bet is more about thinking the rest of the AL central is going to continue being terrible as opposed to being about the Royals actually improving

I wouldn't put the AL Central as being terrible though. Indians, White Sox and Twins all have above-average squads, and Chicago with a full season of everyone gelling together is likely to get even stronger.

The Tigers suck, but the Royals don't have a bad squad. 73.5 wins is not a bad over/under.

I like pilchard's idea on the NL East - that's going to be a lot of slightly-above-average squads beating up on each other for 76 games before they have to deal with the Yankees, Jays, Rays and what should be a better Red Sox team.

Orioles are 63.5. Even though that's stupid low, I'd still take the under. They went 12-28 against the AL East last year (and 13-7 against the NL East) - that 12-28 includes a sweep of Tampa right at the start of the season when the Rays struggled, and a sweep of the Yankees in August when the Yankees couldn't buy a win to save their lives. If they pull the same winning percentage against the AL East this year (which arguably has gotten stronger overall; Tampa is down slightly but the Yankees, Blue Jays and Red Sox have all improved), that would get them 23 wins over 76 games - they'd have to play .477 baseball against everyone else to make it to 63.5 wins total (40-46 against the rest of the league). I'd say that's a stretch.

Phillies send Scott Kingerey and Nats send Carter Kieboom to alternate sites. A bit surprising, as both were expected to play big roles with their MLB teams.

I wouldn't put the AL Central as being terrible though. Indians, White Sox and Twins all have above-average squads, and Chicago with a full season of everyone gelling together is likely to get even stronger.

The Tigers suck, but the Royals don't have a bad squad. 73.5 wins is not a bad over/under.

I think the over on the Royals is fine, they were on pace to win 70 games in the shortened 2020 year and have probably gotten a bit better. I think the AL Central is still the weakest division in baseball though, only other real argument is the NL Central. I agree that the White Sox are both good and improving, but I think that the Indians are getting worse and the Twins are fine but I think a bit overrated because they pile up wins against the rest of the division (which has shown in recent playoff appearances).

Also, considering going under on all 5 NL East teams. With 76 games against the other Division teams (and playing the AL East which is stacked outside of the O's), it will be essentially impossible for more than two teams get over the win total (and maybe only one does).

The o/u of the NL East are:

Braves 91.5
Marlins 70.5
Mets 90.5
Phillies 80.5
Nats 84.5

I'd say that's all about right. The team that wins the division will be in the low nineties win total, the next three in the eighties, and the Marlins low seventies. '

All 5 of those o/u's are depressed due to the strength of the division already, so I don't think it's a super solid lock that the majority of unders will hit. I mean compare Miami's o/u to the Royals: the Marlins are definitely the better club and have an o/u three games lower. Maybe someone wants to debate Marlins v Royals, but I think the Marlins pitching is definitely better (Alcantara, Lopez, Sixto) and their hitting is improving (Anderson, Marte, Rojas, etc).

I think the over on the Royals is fine, they were on pace to win 70 games in the shortened 2020 year and have probably gotten a bit better. I think the AL Central is still the weakest division in baseball though, only other real argument is the NL Central. I agree that the White Sox are both good and improving, but I think that the Indians are getting worse and the Twins are fine but I think a bit overrated because they pile up wins against the rest of the division (which has shown in recent playoff appearances).

Indians definitely took a step back this season - losing Lindor is going to hurt, especially this season. That being said, I'd still give a little edge to the AL Central over the NL Central - St. Louis and Milwaukee are both flawed teams, Cincinnati without Bauer is a big step back and the Cubs don't seem to be in place to impress.

At least both divisions each get 19 games against Detroit/Pittsburgh this year. That being said, I do (kinda) pity the O's - playing 76 games against the AL East and then the NL East for interleague. At least if you go to Camden Yards, you can enjoy some Boog's BBQ (one of my favorite meals at a MLB park).

The Orioles that showed some signs last year, but they let some of their most productive players go. The "Dark Knight" Matt Harvey is in their rotation this year. Just a bad combination in that ballpark facing so many potent lineups.

Mets/Nats opening postponed until at least Saturday cause Nats covid outbreak.

Red Sox/Orioles delayed until tomorrow because of rain.

Mets/Nats opening postponed until at least Saturday cause Nats covid outbreak.

Red Sox/Orioles delayed until tomorrow because of rain.

Didn't the Nats have covid beginning of last season too? I feel like Soto was out for several weeks

Yes Soto missed the first week+ with a false positive COVID test. The Nats got off to a bad start, and with a short schedule, never recovered (although Soto did).

Atlanta has the 3rd highest percentage of African American residents of all Major League cities and you just took millions of dollars out of their pockets. But the commissioner feels good about himself so that's great.

Atlanta has the 3rd highest percentage of African American residents of all Major League cities and you just took millions of dollars out of their pockets. But the commissioner feels good about himself so that's great.

And it has a state government trying to keep people of color from voting with Draconian, unconstitutional laws.

The Braves don’t play in Atlanta

Back