• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 MLB Season Thread

The Rays trade Rich Hill to the Mets. Weird given that the Rays are fighting for playoff position, but the Rays excel at getting rid of players just before the bottom falls out.

Rich Hill has stunk since they started inspecting for foreign substances - and he is a dude that relies on spin rate for that nasty curve. Its possible its just a coincidence and he is just old.

The Cleveland Rockers were one of the original WNBA teams.

If Cleveland was so confident that it's truly the home of Rock and Roll, they would have called themselves the Cleveland Rockers and been happy with the constant marketing of their city history. But they chose Guardians. Because they couldn't choose Rockers with a straight face. Rock and roll was going to get played on the radio somewhere. Despite being the city that it was apparently played first, it still didn't result in any significant rock and roll scene there or any influential bands. Yet, that scene happened in other cities.

You want them to be "Rockers" when there already is a "Rockies?"

The Rockies/Rockers similarity is nbd. College teams overlap mascot names completely and no one cares. So a similarity is not worth forgoing a great name, fan goodwill, and marketing opportunities.

reddit comments are calling them the Cleveland Parents or Legal Guardians.

Every player on the Nats roster is on the block, but Soto. Even Trea Turner. Max Scherzer will not block a trade. Fire sale in DC.

Every player on the Nats roster is on the block, but Soto. Even Trea Turner. Max Scherzer will not block a trade. Fire sale in DC.

I'm a little surprised Trea Turner is available. I expected them to build around him and Soto going forward. I would guess the price for him is pretty high.

I'm really interested to see what the M's front office decides to do here -- stick or twist? Even with upgrades maybe the Mariners make the playoffs, which would be the first time in 20 damn years, but I don't think this is a World Series contender even with a big addition. So is that worth hurting one of the best farm systems in MLB?

I'll just get my popcorn out and trust Dipoto.

I'm really interested to see what the M's front office decides to do here -- stick or twist? Even with upgrades maybe the Mariners make the playoffs, which would be the first time in 20 damn years, but I don't think this is a World Series contender even with a big addition. So is that worth hurting one of the best farm systems in MLB?

I'll just get my popcorn out and trust Dipoto.

Sounds like a situation in which you try to get a player or players who can both help immediately and also be contributors over the next few years. Rarities, but not non-existent.

We will see with the Mariners. It was a heck of surprise to go to bed seeing them down 6-0 and waking up to an 11-8 win. There is plenty of talk about trading for Whit Merrifield and the offense could use the boost.

Tried to find the Rangers game on tv last night, I got the TBT basketball tournament, 5 different Olympic sports , a Madden football rankings show, car racing, but no baseball. I live 4 miles from the stadium and I can't watch baseball despite being one of the last people still paying for cable. Not a single baseball game on. If baseball wants to know why they are losing fans that's it right there. I know the Rangers are horrible, but the fact I need an additional streaming service to watch any baseball is nuts. Its the middle of summer, baseball should be paramount on tv.

Growing up in Boston, I didn't realize how lucky I was to have NESN that would play every single Red Sox game.

Tried to find the Rangers game on tv last night, I got the TBT basketball tournament, 5 different Olympic sports , a Madden football rankings show, car racing, but no baseball. I live 4 miles from the stadium and I can't watch baseball despite being one of the last people still paying for cable. Not a single baseball game on. If baseball wants to know why they are losing fans that's it right there. I know the Rangers are horrible, but the fact I need an additional streaming service to watch any baseball is nuts. Its the middle of summer, baseball should be paramount on tv.

Growing up in Boston, I didn't realize how lucky I was to have NESN that would play every single Red Sox game.

Wow. That's unreal. Other than the Dodgers due to the infamous dispute for broadcast rights (which was finally resolved), thought every MLB team broadcasts every game in their local cable/satellite market.

If the Rangers are on Bally Sports, you probably can’t get them on your streaming service (YouTubeTV, Hulu, etc). Bally Sports is supposed to be coming out with a streaming/gambling app this year or next.

It’s ridiculous that what should be local sports is largely restricted to cable.

There a few teams left that don't broadcast every game. It is usually a day game. The Royals used to do it and apparently the Rangers still do.

I remember fondly when the Braves were on TBS every night in the 90's.

And TBS used to run programming on the :05/:35 instead of :00/:30. I'd toggle anything else I was watching with TBS and switch to them during other channel's commercial breaks.

With the trade deadline on Saturday, the Mariners traded their closer Kendal Graveman to the Astros for 3B Abraham Toro. Among the odd the elements of the trade is that it was made in the middle of 3 game series between the Astros and Mariners. Toro homered for the Astros on Monday, was traded Monday night and then Toro homered against them on Tuesday. He became the first player in MLB history to homer for and against a single team on consecutive days.

With the trade deadline on Saturday, the Mariners traded their closer Kendal Graveman to the Astros for 3B Abraham Toro. Among the odd the elements of the trade is that it was made in the middle of 3 game series between the Astros and Mariners. Toro homered for the Astros on Monday, was traded Monday night and then Toro homered against them on Tuesday. He became the first player in MLB history to homer for and against a single team on consecutive days.

IIRC, there was a trade made between two teams during the pause of a doubleheader. One or more players played for both teams in the doubleheader.

Edit. Thank goodness for Google. On May 30, 1922 the Chicago Cubs traded outfielder Max Flack to the St. Louis Cardinals for outfielder Cliff Heathcoat. The trade was made over a lunch break of a morning- afternoon doubleheader by manager Bill Killefer of the Cubs and manager Branch Rickey of the Cardinals. Both players started and played both games. Since neither team had extra uniforms available, the two players literally traded uniforms for the afternoon game.

Last edited:
Nats at Phillies postponed tonight. Covid outbreak for the Nats. The first domino was Trea Turner testing positive yesterday. The unvaccinated Turner keeps the Wolfpack baseball connection going.

Joey Gallo to the Yankees. The only major leaguer on the Rangers roster. They better low the price of parking if they expect me to keep going.

Rumors swirling that the Nats deal Scherzer today. Apparently, the Padres, Dodgers and Giants are all bidding on him, which should up the ante as the team not only gets an elite starter, but a rival does not get him either.

Back