• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU in 20/21: University of Phoenix Meets Rikers Island

no clue how it's going down at Wake, but at nearby University of Chicago I believe they are still charging various student activity and other fees related to amenities that would only be available in person

Calling it lazy is so hilarious. Pre-recording lectures is more difficult and consumes at least triple the time.

This is exactly right. Since the pandemic started I have done a ton of virtual lectures, both live and pre-recorded. Pre-recorded takes 3 times the amount of work - you spend an hour recording the lecture, an hour listening to it to make sure it worked, and then the hour it is presented listening to it and answering questions. If given the option, I much prefer to give a live virtual lecture.

And I'd add to those (for many lecturers) a level of planning and scripting they'd never do in person AND the added labor and time spent making the lecture material accessible. It takes hours to fix all the closed captioning that some events/departments require.

This is exactly right. Since the pandemic started I have done a ton of virtual lectures, both live and pre-recorded. Pre-recorded takes 3 times the amount of work - you spend an hour recording the lecture, an hour listening to it to make sure it worked, and then the hour it is presented listening to it and answering questions. If given the option, I much prefer to give a live virtual lecture.

Not to mention having to rerecord it when you listen to and find that you screwed up the explanation of some random figure 32 minutes into your hour long recording.

How hard is it to repeat what Wellman tells you to say ?

Not to mention having to rerecord it when you listen to and find that you screwed up the explanation of some random figure 32 minutes into your hour long recording.

For people not used to doing pre-recorded lectures or presentations, it might be a good idea to break each event up into segments. This should help you keep your energy up and make editing much easier.

Interesting. I think the problem is not that wake can't figure it out but that you are under the impression that elementary schools *have* figured it out. I don't think they have, based on everything I read from elementary school teacher friends.

Also, you've got the additional problem of college kids being adults who can, and will, do what they want.

The better comparison, I think, would be to another University that has figured it out. Any success stories to speak of?

According to the CDC, In person learning has not been linked to community transmission. As much as elementary school teachers and their unions would like you to believe, sending kids back to school isn’t a bad idea.

Cases haven't been linked to college classrooms or airplane travel either, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Also, comparing the success of elementary and college teaching during covid doesn't make any sense. Their circumstances are entirely different.

Just dropping in to say that I have three fully in person classes (go twice a week), one class where I go once a week, and one class that's fully online/synchronous. Purposefully signed up for mostly in-person classes because Zoom lectures suck.

Everything else sucks (dining is takeout only, gym not open, library not open, 10pm curfew) but in my experience the educational aspect has been fine.

According to the CDC, In person learning has not been linked to community transmission. As much as elementary school teachers and their unions would like you to believe, sending kids back to school isn’t a bad idea.

It helps that the classrooms aren’t as crowded as they usually are.

And get out with that evil teachers unions nonsense.

Cases haven't been linked to college classrooms or airplane travel either, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Also, comparing the success of elementary and college teaching during covid doesn't make any sense. Their circumstances are entirely different.

Not a good idea because you say so? Apparently Wake can do no wrong in your eyes, so I don’t know why it’s worth having any discussion with you about why $75k a year for zoom classes is highway robbery.

It helps that the classrooms aren’t as crowded as they usually are.

And get out with that evil teachers unions nonsense.

The DC teachers union called a vote on an illegal strike after their lawsuit got laughed out of court.

Just dropping in to say that I have three fully in person classes (go twice a week), one class where I go once a week, and one class that's fully online/synchronous. Purposefully signed up for mostly in-person classes because Zoom lectures suck.

Everything else sucks (dining is takeout only, gym not open, library not open, 10pm curfew) but in my experience the educational aspect has been fine.

Is it a better academic experience than 1st-5th grades?

Not a good idea because you say so? Apparently Wake can do no wrong in your eyes, so I don’t know why it’s worth having any discussion with you about why $75k a year for zoom classes is highway robbery.
Funny how your posts never respond to any of the substantive criticisms of your arguments.

Wake could do plenty of things better. But I've asked you several times what you'd regard as a measure of classroom success for a university during a pandemic, and the best you can reply is "better than an elementary school" -- or, rather, your fantasy of what elementary education would *really* be like if it weren't for those darned teachers and their union.

You don't know (or seem to care) about how any other University's handling of the pandemic can be useful to this conversation about whether wake's handling is on par with peer schools or abject failure or somewhere in between. Instructors from half a dozen other schools posted here to share how their experience in the classroom during the pandemic is similar to the account we've heard about wake from the original poster and other sources.

If your argument is really just "$75k a year for zoom classes is highway robbery" than we don't disagree at all. In fact, I don't think anybody would disagree with this. But this is not what you've been arguing in this thread.

Nobody on earth thinks zoom school during covid is sufficient.

Last edited:
The DC teachers union called a vote on an illegal strike after their lawsuit got laughed out of court.

“Illegal strike”

One of those terms that’s thrown around that reminds us that we live in an oligarchy, not a democracy.

How can a strike ever be illegal, if we live in a democratic republic?

It seems the professors should do live Zoom classes. I asked my daughter at UNC what her situation is, and only one class has recorded lectures.

That’s a lot of $$ for prerecorded classes. What’s the justification? Seems there should be in person classes based on reports from schools employing that practice.

Literally two posts above yours is a current wake student saying they have 3 in person classes and only one that is fully online.

And even "fully online" does not equal "recorded". atldeac's one online class is delivered synchronously, which is live.

I'd bet that very few undergrad classes at a school like wake are ever pre-recorded. Maybe intro science lectures.

Last edited:
“Illegal strike”

One of those terms that’s thrown around that reminds us that we live in an oligarchy, not a democracy.

How can a strike ever be illegal, if we live in a democratic republic?

Because DC has a law that public employees can't strike. Passed by council members who were democratically elected to represent their constituents.

Back