• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU in 20/21: University of Phoenix Meets Rikers Island

How is a law that public employees can’t strike considered constitutional? Seems like a half step away from indentured servitude. Why can’t I coordinate with other free citizens to willfully not go to work?

Unless of course the whole point of this nation is to ensure stability for the plantation, I mean investor, class.

Pretty sure it’s illegal for cops to strike

I work in IT at a large university. Some of our teachers teach in person, and some are remote. Classrooms are open to everyone. I use Windows Task Scheduler to start the Zooms automatically each day and then spend 10-15 minutes at each class period remote controlling classroom computers and making sure they launched. It's nice because the building isn't so quiet anymore. We are in week 6 now and we have students coming back and when I have asked what brought them in they say it's because they see the classroom join. I think it is good for the students to see the classroom and know it will not be like this forever.

How are schools doing the Lab hours that are supposed to accompany a Science class?

Having done a few chemistry classes, there are a few approaches

1)Professor does the simulations and videotapes them. Students completely lose out on physical techniques but get experience writing a lab report, analyzing and calculating the data, and properly keeping a notebook. First part kind of sucks, but at least this setup is shutdown proof.

2)Lab kits-basically, much larger chemistry sets. Experiments seemed to work ok (not like student reliably get better data in the lab anyway) but a)these were expensive, b)the company was unprepared for the increase in demand, and shipments were weeks late (and the one I did was a summer course) and c)I had little way of personally monitoring their technique, or whether they weren't just faking the data. I made them send pictures. I hinted that I might make the videotape the whole thing, but I can't imagine they were dumb enough to think that I would be watching 24 hours of videos of students performing experiments.

3)If the lecture and the lab are coupled in the same course, it usually meets 2-3 times a week to account for all hours in both sections. Split the class in half (or thirds), and have every class meeting do a socially distanced lab on a different day, and make the lecture portion asynchronous. If you feel safe in a socially distance environment, this works pretty well for the lab part. The downside is that students adapt poorly to asynchronous experiences in general, and they also lose out on the lab partner experience.

WFU just suspended an unnamed student organization for off campus partying. Also, apparently there was an off campus party at which the floor of the rental house collapsed. Can't quite tell if this is the same or two different events. Anyone know the scoop?

WFU just suspended an unnamed student organization for off campus partying. Also, apparently there was an off campus party at which the floor of the rental house collapsed. Can't quite tell if this is the same or two different events. Anyone know the scoop?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CLzRJEgpZnw/?igshid=n9pfkcfa56tp

Chi Psi (allegedly)

Edit: They were the same events. https://www.wxii12.com/article/wake-forest-covid-organization-suspension-floor-collapse/35664631

Last edited:
First post and visit to this site since 2015! I hope my fellow OG&B Deacs are doing well in these interesting times.

My oldest is a freshman at Wake this year, and I am curious if any of you that have kids there are having a similarly awful experience. Despite assurances to the contrary, in my opinion, Wake has done an incredibly poor job of handling the current environment. All of my son's classes have been virtual and most of them have been pre-recorded. One class last semester hardly had any instruction at all. They had him visit a website to do "worksheets" instead. And another professor has missed the first two virtual classes this semester due to "technical difficulties". He isn't learning jack. Meanwhile, even with no physical class, the students have been locked down almost entirely from any social life. Masks are required at all times - even outside. Dining is allowed only if you sit more than six fee apart. Students are written up if they are in groups of 10 or more. Due to a recent spike in cases, students can barely leave their rooms now and must be in by 10pm. For freshmen with no pre-existing friend groups, you're essentially stuck with your often-depressed suitemates.

I'd be sympathetic to the lockdown if Wake was actually teaching the students. Instead... its the worst of both worlds: no instruction AND no social life - all for only $75k/year. Given Wake's resources, we expected MUCH better. Meanwhile, other supposedly inferior universities nearby seem to have figured out how to salvage something of the school year. We've held out hope that the administration will find some sanity and things will improve but, at this rate, we may not be around to find out.

Sorry to vent, but the FB parents group is populated with lunatics that don't allow any negative feedback. Just curious from any here if my son's experience has been the exception or the rule.

My nephew is a sophomore at Wake. Much of what you say is correct. I'll add that forcing 20/21 year olds to live on campus is ludicrous and doesn't help the cause.

Well, what do you expect for a measly 70 grand a year?

Hmmm Where else have i seen people downplaying the pandemic in an effort to... make money? Win elections? Own the lubes? Its right there on the tip of my tongue... <snapping fingers to help jog my memory> sorry, the hypocrisy escapes me. Maybe later.

Many schools in NC sent their students home for the entire fall semester (UNC, State, ECU) and some only allowed half their students to attend at a time (Duke). Wake has allowed all students on campus since the start of the pandemic. In the fall Wake had 668 cases of COVID in students, faculty, and staff, and in the spring they have had 919, so far.

Can verify there was some significant screw up of the testing results for students in the last few weeks.

It helps that the classrooms aren’t as crowded as they usually are.

And get out with that evil teachers unions nonsense.

Studies have shown that the school systems that are still not in person are in areas with stronger unions. CBSNews reported that weeks ago. It's not nonsense. It's the truth.

The sad part is that these are usually in areas with significant socioeconomic problems, where the school provides food and a safe space for these children. In that case, these teachers' unions are the ones killing children.

Studies have shown that the school systems that are still not in person are in areas with stronger unions. CBSNews reported that weeks ago. It's not nonsense. It's the truth.

The sad part is that these are usually in areas with significant socioeconomic problems, where the school provides food and a safe space for these children. In that case, these teachers' unions are the ones killing children.

Hoo boy. Look at this human filth that the cat drug in.

You do realize that members of those teachers unions have been providing food, clothing and others forms of assistance to children in low income areas this entire time though? Others have been working from home, yes, but also putting in countless extra hours to create an entire new curriculum that jives with remote learning. I also assume that for you to be on this high horse, that you have been out interacting with people living "in areas with significant socioeconomic problems" without proper PPE and social distancing during the pandemic? That you've been risking your life, and the lives of your family, because its "your job"?

Because if not, do us all a favor and shut the fuck up. Stick to commentating on your meaningless white color job, because society doesn't need you or your opinions.

Last edited:
Hoo boy. Look at this human filth that the cat drug in.

You do realize that members of those teachers unions have been providing food, clothing and others forms of assistance to children in low income areas this entire time though? Others have been working from home, yes, but also putting in countless extra hours to create an entire new curriculum that jives with remote learning. I also assume that for you to be on this high horse, that you have been out interacting with people living "in areas with significant socioeconomic problems" without proper PPE and social distancing during the pandemic? That you've been risking your life, and the lives of your family, because its "your job"?

Because if not, do us all a favor and shut the fuck up. Stick to commentating on your meaningless white color job, because society doesn't need you or your opinions.

You know nothing about me, what I do or how I spend my time, yet you sit at your computer and make assumptions, but I am the one on a high horse?

It's a fact that depression is higher amongst children. It's a fact that suicide is higher amongst children. It's a fact that children with the greatest needs use school for necessary essential services to supplement what is not being provided at home. It's a fact that school systems who are meeting five days a week have not contributed to community spread. It's also a fact that teachers unions are the greatest threat to returning to school in-person.

When children don't return to school, they are depressed, they commit suicide, they don't get necessary essential services to supplement what is not being provided at home - and it has NOTHING to do with community spread.

We as a society have used access to schools to provide these services for these children. That is not on teachers' unions. What is on teachers' unions is the fact that they have worked to delay the return as much as possible, once we as a society figured out how to safely do so. Since that time, those tragedies that have occurred fit squarely upon their backs.

Back