Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 129

Thread: WFU in 20/21: University of Phoenix Meets Rikers Island

  1. #81
    THE quintessential dwarf dartsndeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    46,968
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    How is a law that public employees canít strike considered constitutional? Seems like a half step away from indentured servitude. Why canít I coordinate with other free citizens to willfully not go to work?

    Unless of course the whole point of this nation is to ensure stability for the plantation, I mean investor, class.
    Pretty sure itís illegal for cops to strike
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyClutch View Post
    It would seem like live zoom classes would be the minimum that an elite university can do.
    I'd imagine that most non-intro level classes at most schools are live on zoom.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by WokeandBroke View Post
    The humanity...
    Incredible first post. Perfect.

  4. #84
    I work in IT at a large university. Some of our teachers teach in person, and some are remote. Classrooms are open to everyone. I use Windows Task Scheduler to start the Zooms automatically each day and then spend 10-15 minutes at each class period remote controlling classroom computers and making sure they launched. It's nice because the building isn't so quiet anymore. We are in week 6 now and we have students coming back and when I have asked what brought them in they say it's because they see the classroom join. I think it is good for the students to see the classroom and know it will not be like this forever.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by WokeandBroke View Post
    The humanity...
    Is this WakeandBakeís non-union Mexican equivalent?

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Jroc25 View Post
    How are schools doing the Lab hours that are supposed to accompany a Science class?
    Having done a few chemistry classes, there are a few approaches

    1)Professor does the simulations and videotapes them. Students completely lose out on physical techniques but get experience writing a lab report, analyzing and calculating the data, and properly keeping a notebook. First part kind of sucks, but at least this setup is shutdown proof.

    2)Lab kits-basically, much larger chemistry sets. Experiments seemed to work ok (not like student reliably get better data in the lab anyway) but a)these were expensive, b)the company was unprepared for the increase in demand, and shipments were weeks late (and the one I did was a summer course) and c)I had little way of personally monitoring their technique, or whether they weren't just faking the data. I made them send pictures. I hinted that I might make the videotape the whole thing, but I can't imagine they were dumb enough to think that I would be watching 24 hours of videos of students performing experiments.

    3)If the lecture and the lab are coupled in the same course, it usually meets 2-3 times a week to account for all hours in both sections. Split the class in half (or thirds), and have every class meeting do a socially distanced lab on a different day, and make the lecture portion asynchronous. If you feel safe in a socially distance environment, this works pretty well for the lab part. The downside is that students adapt poorly to asynchronous experiences in general, and they also lose out on the lab partner experience.

  7. #87
    WFU just suspended an unnamed student organization for off campus partying. Also, apparently there was an off campus party at which the floor of the rental house collapsed. Can't quite tell if this is the same or two different events. Anyone know the scoop?

  8. #88
    Bernie Eskimo Bro
    KickballDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vermont Republic
    Posts
    3,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon923 View Post
    WFU just suspended an unnamed student organization for off campus partying. Also, apparently there was an off campus party at which the floor of the rental house collapsed. Can't quite tell if this is the same or two different events. Anyone know the scoop?
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CLzRJ...d=n9pfkcfa56tp

    Chi Psi (allegedly)

    Edit: They were the same events. https://www.wxii12.com/article/wake-...lapse/35664631
    Last edited by KickballDeac; 03-02-2021 at 08:12 AM.

  9. #89
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    siff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Duchy of Cabarrus
    Posts
    18,319
    Quote Originally Posted by StreakinTheQuad View Post
    First post and visit to this site since 2015! I hope my fellow OG&B Deacs are doing well in these interesting times.

    My oldest is a freshman at Wake this year, and I am curious if any of you that have kids there are having a similarly awful experience. Despite assurances to the contrary, in my opinion, Wake has done an incredibly poor job of handling the current environment. All of my son's classes have been virtual and most of them have been pre-recorded. One class last semester hardly had any instruction at all. They had him visit a website to do "worksheets" instead. And another professor has missed the first two virtual classes this semester due to "technical difficulties". He isn't learning jack. Meanwhile, even with no physical class, the students have been locked down almost entirely from any social life. Masks are required at all times - even outside. Dining is allowed only if you sit more than six fee apart. Students are written up if they are in groups of 10 or more. Due to a recent spike in cases, students can barely leave their rooms now and must be in by 10pm. For freshmen with no pre-existing friend groups, you're essentially stuck with your often-depressed suitemates.

    I'd be sympathetic to the lockdown if Wake was actually teaching the students. Instead... its the worst of both worlds: no instruction AND no social life - all for only $75k/year. Given Wake's resources, we expected MUCH better. Meanwhile, other supposedly inferior universities nearby seem to have figured out how to salvage something of the school year. We've held out hope that the administration will find some sanity and things will improve but, at this rate, we may not be around to find out.

    Sorry to vent, but the FB parents group is populated with lunatics that don't allow any negative feedback. Just curious from any here if my son's experience has been the exception or the rule.
    My nephew is a sophomore at Wake. Much of what you say is correct. I'll add that forcing 20/21 year olds to live on campus is ludicrous and doesn't help the cause.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by siff View Post
    I'll add that forcing 20/21 year olds to live on campus is ludicrous.
    I think you misspelled "lucrative"

  11. #91

  12. #92
    Alphonso Smith
    sailordeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Liver than you'll ever be
    Posts
    14,374
    Well, what do you expect for a measly 70 grand a year?

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    that headline did not really match the story at all. There was a FedEx delay because of a winter storm.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by sailordeac View Post
    Well, what do you expect for a measly 70 grand a year?
    Hmmm Where else have i seen people downplaying the pandemic in an effort to... make money? Win elections? Own the lubes? Its right there on the tip of my tongue... <snapping fingers to help jog my memory> sorry, the hypocrisy escapes me. Maybe later.

  15. #95
    Many schools in NC sent their students home for the entire fall semester (UNC, State, ECU) and some only allowed half their students to attend at a time (Duke). Wake has allowed all students on campus since the start of the pandemic. In the fall Wake had 668 cases of COVID in students, faculty, and staff, and in the spring they have had 919, so far.

  16. #96
    Dickie Hemric
    ConnorEl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In My Mind
    Posts
    13,642
    Can verify there was some significant screw up of the testing results for students in the last few weeks.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    It helps that the classrooms arenít as crowded as they usually are.

    And get out with that evil teachers unions nonsense.
    Studies have shown that the school systems that are still not in person are in areas with stronger unions. CBSNews reported that weeks ago. It's not nonsense. It's the truth.

    The sad part is that these are usually in areas with significant socioeconomic problems, where the school provides food and a safe space for these children. In that case, these teachers' unions are the ones killing children.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonbeck View Post
    Studies have shown that the school systems that are still not in person are in areas with stronger unions. CBSNews reported that weeks ago. It's not nonsense. It's the truth.

    The sad part is that these are usually in areas with significant socioeconomic problems, where the school provides food and a safe space for these children. In that case, these teachers' unions are the ones killing children.
    Hoo boy. Look at this human filth that the cat drug in.

    You do realize that members of those teachers unions have been providing food, clothing and others forms of assistance to children in low income areas this entire time though? Others have been working from home, yes, but also putting in countless extra hours to create an entire new curriculum that jives with remote learning. I also assume that for you to be on this high horse, that you have been out interacting with people living "in areas with significant socioeconomic problems" without proper PPE and social distancing during the pandemic? That you've been risking your life, and the lives of your family, because its "your job"?

    Because if not, do us all a favor and shut the fuck up. Stick to commentating on your meaningless white color job, because society doesn't need you or your opinions.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; 03-10-2021 at 11:27 AM.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    Stick to commentating on your meaningless white color job
    A solid Freudian slip

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    Hoo boy. Look at this human filth that the cat drug in.

    You do realize that members of those teachers unions have been providing food, clothing and others forms of assistance to children in low income areas this entire time though? Others have been working from home, yes, but also putting in countless extra hours to create an entire new curriculum that jives with remote learning. I also assume that for you to be on this high horse, that you have been out interacting with people living "in areas with significant socioeconomic problems" without proper PPE and social distancing during the pandemic? That you've been risking your life, and the lives of your family, because its "your job"?

    Because if not, do us all a favor and shut the fuck up. Stick to commentating on your meaningless white color job, because society doesn't need you or your opinions.
    You know nothing about me, what I do or how I spend my time, yet you sit at your computer and make assumptions, but I am the one on a high horse?

    It's a fact that depression is higher amongst children. It's a fact that suicide is higher amongst children. It's a fact that children with the greatest needs use school for necessary essential services to supplement what is not being provided at home. It's a fact that school systems who are meeting five days a week have not contributed to community spread. It's also a fact that teachers unions are the greatest threat to returning to school in-person.

    When children don't return to school, they are depressed, they commit suicide, they don't get necessary essential services to supplement what is not being provided at home - and it has NOTHING to do with community spread.

    We as a society have used access to schools to provide these services for these children. That is not on teachers' unions. What is on teachers' unions is the fact that they have worked to delay the return as much as possible, once we as a society figured out how to safely do so. Since that time, those tragedies that have occurred fit squarely upon their backs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •