• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU in 20/21: University of Phoenix Meets Rikers Island

Seems like all the teachers want is vaccinations before they're exposed to all the little superspreaders. Seems like a reasonable enough demand to me

Seeing lots of photos/videos from graduation this weekend. Looking very un-Rikers Island to me.

Just reread this thread and had already forgotten what a terrible poster DistrictDeacon is. I recommend a revisit if you want to see a dude just butcher a debate.

To all my college professors/TAs/etc who have been forced to tape lectures. I'm sorry. It is a waste of your time and the time of your students to watch them.

I think I called teachers put in that position lazy earlier in this thread, and that was wrong. You are just doing what you were told.

But i promise you that there is a comparable version of that taped lecture already available on the free or cheap (Khan Academy or something similar) internet. If I was a student at Wake or a similarly expensive school and that's what I was paying for this last year I would be fucking pissed.

Last edited:
Maybe the bigger lesson here is that most "respected" institutions and people are full of shit and that you should evaluate everyone and everything individually, not because of current or past associations.

That could be worth 75K

Just reread this thread and had already forgotten what a terrible poster DistrictDeacon is. I recommend a revisit if you want to see a dude just butcher a debate.

Ha. Hard to have a debate with you when you start from the position that charging $75k a year doesn't obligate Wake to try to provide a better educational experience than you get from University of Phoenix. But I guess that's what happens when you live in the world where the ultimate career goal is unaccountable tenure.

Ha. Hard to have a debate with you when you start from the position that charging $75k a year doesn't obligate Wake to try to provide a better educational experience than you get from University of Phoenix. But I guess that's what happens when you live in the world where the ultimate career goal is unaccountable tenure.

I see where you're coming from, of course, and I never disagreed with that position. If you re-read, you'll see I actually agreed with you on that point a number of times. And I'm only defending wake here because I'm an alumnus and a fan and this is a Wake Forest message board; most of my posts on this thread were actually about the general experience of teaching (and learning) on a college campus during a pandemic. We've got a lot of people here who seem to have had very similar experiences, albeit mostly at public universities who are not charging $75k.

And I love the well-crafted barb about tenure, a protection I don't have and may never have. In fact only a very small percentage of teachers in higher education have that protection.

But I don't get the hate. Being totally unaccountable to anyone sounds awesome. Why would you *want* to have a boss and be answerable to someone who probably sucks?

If professors make bank, get to indoctrinate, are totally unaccountable, and don't actually do any work, I wonder why everybody doesn't do it.

Back