• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU in 20/21: University of Phoenix Meets Rikers Island

...it depends...?

I definitely think if you’re not meeting in person you should have regular class “zoom” meetings that are live and offer opportunity for engagement.

As some one who is teaching an formerly in person now online class at a fairly large university, a partially pre recorded course is fine. There has to be some live online portion available to the students to ask questions of the professor after watching the lecture videos. I can attest though the prerecording lectures is actually a lot of work, possibly more than just doing them live on line at the prescribed time of class. Calling it lazy is a bit uninformed imo.

Yep

I’m fine with some prerecording...just needs to be plenty of opportunity for live engagement.

Modality requirements differ by field. First-year courses are going to be different by nature. Don't judge the quality of an educational experience by its execution during covid and know that professors and staff are working double and triple time to make things work

Seriously. Posting a taped Zoom lesson should be grounds for dismissal. How lazy can you be? Professors never had it so easy.

Having kids quarantined on campus while engaging in remote learning is super dumb. Of course we all know why Wake is doing it.

I've pre-recorded some introductory lectures for students to review ahead of time, and then spent the next lecture on worked examples based on that introductory lecture. I agree that if a student signed up for a synchronous class, the professor should be on Zoom with the students during the scheduled session. Did a class that was asynchronous by design last semester (not my call), and it was mostly kind of lousy.

I'm finding kids at the lower-level are signing up for asynchronous classes over synchronous for the purported conveniences and then complaining when the experience sucks.

I had a synchronous course converted to asynchronous by a dean, and shit are those students getting a much diminished experience. I'm teaching multiple classes in person, but pre-recording lectures is still sometimes necessary bc we can't do all of the things that we usually do like take students to libraries or archives, move around the classroom, film screenings, etc.

Calling it lazy is so hilarious. Pre-recording lectures is more difficult and consumes at least triple the time.

Modality requirements differ by field. First-year courses are going to be different by nature. Don't judge the quality of an educational experience by its execution during covid and know that professors and staff are working double and triple time to make things work

But is it ok to judge the quality vs the cost during Covid?

I think the point of the OP was that a lot of other schools seem to be doing a better job than Wake on both fronts - delivering an educational experience and dealing with the health risks. From how the Wake experience was described here compared to what I have heard from several other schools, I would have to agree. At $75K per year, I think it is fair to expect Wake to be doing a better job than other places, not worse.

No doubt it is a sucky time to be a college student anywhere.

This conversation is just an extension of the same conversation we always have about whether or not the cost of wake is worth it.

Sounds like this poor kid is having a rough go of it in his freshman year. That sucks. All those freshman divisionals sucked in normal times, so I can see why the experience would be significantly worse during covid.

But I can also assure readers that plenty of other classes at wake are fully synchronous and meeting on zoom for every session. And faculty and staff are definitely working their asses off under the same shitty conditions as the students.

So legitimate complaints here about diminished experiences in some courses are being extrapolated to explain the entire institution's response to covid.

Genuine question: what are y'all expecting the price of wake to buy your student that, say, Winthrop can't afford?

Genuine question: what are y'all expecting the price of wake to buy your student that, say, Winthrop can't afford?

The resources to make in-person education safe and viable. Public elementary schools are meeting in person and Wake can’t figure out how to do it?

This conversation is just an extension of the same conversation we always have about whether or not the cost of wake is worth it.

Sounds like this poor kid is having a rough go of it in his freshman year. That sucks. All those freshman divisionals sucked in normal times, so I can see why the experience would be significantly worse during covid.

But I can also assure readers that plenty of other classes at wake are fully synchronous and meeting on zoom for every session. And faculty and staff are definitely working their asses off under the same shitty conditions as the students.

So legitimate complaints here about diminished experiences in some courses are being extrapolated to explain the entire institution's response to covid.

#betterphan’d

The resources to make in-person education safe and viable. Public elementary schools are meeting in person and Wake can’t figure out how to do it?
Interesting. I think the problem is not that wake can't figure it out but that you are under the impression that elementary schools *have* figured it out. I don't think they have, based on everything I read from elementary school teacher friends.

Also, you've got the additional problem of college kids being adults who can, and will, do what they want.

The better comparison, I think, would be to another University that has figured it out. Any success stories to speak of?

Back