• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

One thing that is unmistakable is this D is legit. Heads and shoulders above every other D in yards allowed, pts. scored, and sacks. Granted we are playing lesser offenses to start the season, but still our stats are eye popping good even against weaker teams. Losing Horn will hurt, but guessing others will fill the gap admirably and as long as we can keep bringing the type of pressure we brought last night we should be in every game. Also had no idea we picked up Fox as that guy is a beast. We are stout up front and with some serious speed and depth on the edges coupled with really solid LB core and stud DBs. If you can play top notch D you will win a good # of games especially if Darnold can continue to manage games well and avoid silly TOs. I like our chances to win 12 IF we can find a reliable RB to keep Ds honest. Chuba started to show something late, but would like to see how Royce does starting and getting more carries as Chuba was a non factor for the 1st half.

the Jets and Texans have middling offenses, but the Saints seemingly still have a decent one, at least what they showed against the Packers. Now, that may prove to be an aberration, but we absolutely did shutdown one of the best RBs in the league in Kamara.

Don’t think I’ve ever felt this bummed out after a win

Agree that CMC just doesn’t seem the type of player who will ever be healthy for a full season again

Losing Horn to that injury just sucks. He might play again this season but I think he won’t be 100% until next year

One thing that is unmistakable is this D is legit. Heads and shoulders above every other D in yards allowed, pts. scored, and sacks. Granted we are playing lesser offenses to start the season, but still our stats are eye popping good even against weaker teams. Losing Horn will hurt, but guessing others will fill the gap admirably and as long as we can keep bringing the type of pressure we brought last night we should be in every game. Also had no idea we picked up Fox as that guy is a beast. We are stout up front and with some serious speed and depth on the edges coupled with really solid LB core and stud DBs. If you can play top notch D you will win a good # of games especially if Darnold can continue to manage games well and avoid silly TOs. I like our chances to win 12 IF we can find a reliable RB to keep Ds honest. Chuba started to show something late, but would like to see how Royce does starting and getting more carries as Chuba was a non factor for the 1st half.

They've played two rookie QBs in their first ever starts and Jameis Winston. Let's pump the brakes on the 85 Bears comparisons. Are they good? Yes. Are they better than last year with a bright future? Yes. Are they top 10 in the league this year? That still remains to be seen once they start playing legit competition.

But man, if they hit a home run with Darnold, which they may have, they've set themselves up to be a power for years to come. Dude is still only 24 years old with all this NFL experience and is balling out like this, that is crazy. His throws, whether stationary or on the run, are pinpoint accurate. Put aside Mahomes, Rogers, etc., he doesn't need to be on that transcendent level where he needs to carry a team solely by himself. He is looking like a good enough QB that if he is surrounded by a reasonably solid supporting cast and strong defense he can definitely be the primary reason they win a ton of games for a long time.

Also, similar to Lebron moving to PF at some point, when do they tell CMC he is no longer a RB and to go be an All-Pro WR for the next decade?

I'm afraid that CMC is a rich man's Raheem Mostert.

On the plus side, I'm starting to think that Darnold might actually be good. For what it's worth--and I don't think it's much--PFF ranks him 8th/34 among QBs this year. He was 35/38 last year, 31/37 the year before, and 29/38 his rookie year.

Next week, we get a giant rest advantage, as we're coming off a Thursday night game, while the Cowboys play this Monday night. That seems like an odd scheduling decision, but I won't complain. The schedule has been garbage, but we're first in the NFL in point differential (obviously padded by the extra game), tied with the Cardinals for the best per game point differential among undefeated teams (+13/game), and trail only the 1-1 Bills (+14) on a per-game basis. Really good teams handily beat the bad ones, and that's what we've done so far.

It definitely says something we've allowed only 6 points in the first half. And one knock the first 2 games is that we slid a bit in the second half, but did the opposite last night.

I'm afraid that CMC is a rich man's Raheem Mostert.

On the plus side, I'm starting to think that Darnold might actually be good. For what it's worth--and I don't think it's much--PFF ranks him 8th/34 among QBs this year. He was 35/38 last year, 31/37 the year before, and 29/38 his rookie year.

Next week, we get a giant rest advantage, as we're coming off a Thursday night game, while the Cowboys play this Monday night. That seems like an odd scheduling decision, but I won't complain. The schedule has been garbage, but we're first in the NFL in point differential (obviously padded by the extra game), tied with the Cardinals for the best per game point differential among undefeated teams (+13/game), and trail only the 1-1 Bills (+14) on a per-game basis. Really good teams handily beat the bad ones, and that's what we've done so far.

Yes to all this, especially the part about Darnold. Without CMC, he's obviously got to make more plays now.

Horn should not be asked to return this season. That's scary, the way he just got caught in the turf.

was it just bad luck that all 3 injuries (DJ included, though he came back) were non-contact, or is there something to the field playing a part?

Hard to come up with a good plan for CMC going forward. This injury happened in a game Brady was clearly trying to limit his touches. He’s 25. He should be able to carry a large load of the offense.

was it just bad luck that all 3 injuries (DJ included, though he came back) were non-contact, or is there something to the field playing a part?

field + short week maybe? good thing tepper switched to turf!!

i don't think the panthers have been behind this year at all

Do the Texans or other turf teams have a higher percentage of injuries?

Nope. Before that late 1st half Texans TD, the closest game has been the Jets TV to make it 19-14.

Is it time to get excited about Darnold?

Last edited:
Rapoport tweeted CMC expected to miss a few weeks but won't go on IR. Although I feel like they did that last year? He was seemingly always week-to-week but never played.

Rapoport tweeted CMC expected to miss a few weeks but won't go on IR. Although I feel like they did that last year? He was seemingly always week-to-week but never played.

Why would we play him last year going for a top 5 draft pick? Night and day difference from this year.

Why would we play him last year going for a top 5 draft pick? Night and day difference from this year.

well I guess it's more the point of they didn't ever shut him down and kept stringing it along, only for him to come back toward the end and get injured again.

Duke Johnson is coming into today for a workout.

Yeah, PFT was saying 3-4 weeks likely for CMC and 2-3 months for Horn. Horn could qualify to be a Raven for breaking multiple bones in his foot on a non-contact play. At least last year you had Mike Davis when CMC went down. Hubbard is a fairly significant drop off from Davis. Maybe Rhule and Brady will get more pass happy while CMC is out. I really like your WR corps.

Yeah, PFT was saying 3-4 weeks likely for CMC and 2-3 months for Horn. Horn could qualify to be a Raven for breaking multiple bones in his foot on a non-contact play. At least last year you had Mike Davis when CMC went down. Hubbard is a fairly significant drop off from Davis. Maybe Rhule and Brady will get more pass happy while CMC is out. I really like your WR corps.

AGree and I said it earlier but I will say again. We ran on 1st down 12 times to just 4 passes in 2nd half. If we just go to more even pass/run on 1st downs I think Darnold goes for an even bigger game and we win easier/earlier in game as he had a lot of time the few times he did pass on 1st down. I get that was their plan with CMC in there, but seemed slow to adjust when CMC went down and it was clear our rbs couldn't get much done on ground until later in 2nd half once we were already starting to pull away. When given time Darnold has really looked crisp and decisive and actually more mobile than I realized as he seemed pretty effective out of the pocket to still throw fairly accurate passes and buying himself and WRs more time.

I was skeptical of Darnold, especially when the vax stuff came out, but I'll admit he has looked pretty dang good so far. His athleticism is sneaky good too- I was completely surprised by that. Seeing Darnold be so good has to be completely demoralizing for Jets fans.

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - 3-0, but at what cost?

New report that Rhule isn’t ruling out putting CMC on IR.

Last edited:
Back